Sign in to follow this  
zanehuston777

AI Traffic/ General Performance

I am trying to optimize performance in P3D, and know that AI is pretty CPU hungry. I know there are the basic options like "turn it off" or "fly on VATSIM", but I would prefer not to do either of those. I also have road traffic relatively high, just because it looks good, and I didn't notice a huge difference with it off. I was wondering if anyone knew settings that could be turned down for better CPU performance. I believe my GPU is more than capable because it can handle Dynamic Lights with little performance loss. Usually, I am getting 20fps inside the VC of the NGX.

My Current Settings:

https://imgur.com/a/WxuPe0g

Edited by zanehuston777
Forgot the link...

there's not alot you can do when you're running road traffic -coupled with air traffic. ....that road traffic has to go. :-(

The old saying "Moderation in all things" springs to mind, I run UTLive @ 30% and road traffic @ 15% with no problems. Those figures give more than enough eye candy to the Sim (P3D v4.3)

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Personally, I would rather drop those traffic sliders down (30-50% AI, 5-7% Road) and instead increase the settings for the autogen. Otherwise, if it is really important for you, turn those autogen sliders further down, those are the most CPU intensive settings. So, either good looking, dense autogen to a reasonable draw distance or road traffic and extremely dense AI traffic. You can choose, both is impossible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

If your issue is low framerates, then while AI has a big hit on performance, it may be a red herring and the problem may lie elsewhere, such as unrealistic slider and graphics settings. Dynamic lighting and running 8SSAA in conjunction with high settings elsewhere could bring the sim to it's knees. If you are sure the issue is AI, then like the guys said elsewhere, you need to be more realistic. I have always, even in my FSX days, turned off airport traffic to 0, this is a necessity as if you are flying with third party airports, then they are likely to have their own traffic anyway.

Turn road traffic to 5-10 if you must have it. I think I run at about 5 or something like that. As for airplane AI, this is the trick. If you are flying an airliner then set no higher than about 30 and switch off GA to 0. You don't need to have GA at a large airport and all you are doing is adding to the performance hit. Likewise, when you are flying Cessnas or similar from a GA airport, then again, set accordingly and drop the airline traffic slider to 0.

AI in FSX or P3D has an enormous hit and not understanding or appreciating the consequences of these sliders can have you running around in circles 😉

• Like 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I've found a great utility that will help manage Ai. If you use MyTraffic Pro many of those aircraft will sit at a gate for hours and not do anything. I found it difficult to find free gates at some airports because they were all occupied by Ai that wouldn't depart for many hours.

Download and install RemoveAiSleepers from here. http://www.lorby-si.com/downloads.html

Freeware and you can configure it to remove any aircraft within a radius of x miles (default 30) that won't be departing in the next x minutes (default 90).

Not only does it free up many gates the reduced number of Ai will help fps.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

VR P3D flyer, so I’m always after high FPS and no stutters.

Road traffic has never been great in ESP, I basically don’t use it (unlike x-plane, where it works well and looks great).

I normally struggle to find a good ai traffic solution as well. However, right now i’m actually happy, as Traffic Global is very kind to frame rates and doesn’t seem to degrade performance substantially. 

So I’d suggest that’s perhaps worth a try. I have UT2, UT Live and MT6 as well, but at the moment traffic global is the best solution for me due to its minimal impact on performance (i think partly due to better optimised models for p3d v4).

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I am using Mytraffic6 at the moment as AI really is secondary to me but offcause nice to have. 

I use FSUIPC to control the AI amount allthough at default setting. I then use a keycommand connected to a yoke switch to turn AI on and off dynamically, forinstance on the critically approach were I sometimes need the performance regarding fps. 

Thanks Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

5 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

So I’d suggest that’s perhaps worth a try. I have UT2, UT Live and MT6 as well, but at the moment traffic global is the best solution for me due to its minimal impact on performance (i think partly due to better optimised models for p3d v4).

Traffic Global in its current state adds drastically less traffic to your traffic bubble is why it's easy on the system compared to the others.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

16 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

If your issue is low framerates, then while AI has a big hit on performance, it may be a red herring and the problem may lie elsewhere, such as unrealistic slider and graphics settings. Dynamic lighting and running 8SSAA in conjunction with high settings elsewhere could bring the sim to it's knees.

Do you know if my sliders may be an issue? I really was open to any settings being too high for my system, but I now realised I phrased my question really weird. Most people are only talking about AI, but I can't really tell what my card is capable of either. What do you think that could also be having a strong impact?

Something that worked nicely for me is the AI limitation imposed by FSUIPC in terms of absolute numbers. Even figures as low as 50 aircraft nearby suffices to give a good immersion IMO.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

Its a 20 year old engine that wasn't designed for AI traffic. 

And since the military don't use ai traffic then LM are not going to put resources into optimising it.

You can start the same topic every single day like you do, day in day out about AI traffic and it won't make a blindest bit of difference.   I wish it would I love ai, but it won't. 

Just saying...

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

6 hours ago, zanehuston777 said:

Do you know if my sliders may be an issue? I really was open to any settings being too high for my system, but I now realised I phrased my question really weird. Most people are only talking about AI, but I can't really tell what my card is capable of either. What do you think that could also be having a strong impact?

Zane, at 100% you are definitely pushing it too hard. You haven't said what package you're using. Only MyTrafic Pro can benefit from the tip I posted yesterday. The Ai packages that generate Ai 'on-the-fly' cannot be controlled by RemoveAiSleepers.

I have my traffic set to 75% but crucially the settings I use in RAiS reduce the number of Ai by a large margin. If you have MyTraffic Pro try it.

I also go along with those who advice reducing road traffic. It's a known fps hog. 7% is reasonable.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 hours ago, zanehuston777 said:

Zane, if you'd like to screengrab your P3d settings and PM me, I can help further. Alternatively post them here on this thread and you'll get lots of help. 😊

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

1 minute ago, Rockliffe said:

Zane, if you'd like to screengrab your P3d settings and PM me, I can help further. Alternatively post them here on this thread and you'll get lots of help. 😊

He did in the first post. :wink:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather