Sign in to follow this  
elmucki

Some VR questions/concerns

Been flying in VR a LOT lately and love it. I actually removed my big fancy 4k monitor as i no longer use it but use VR.

Now i know about the white box issue in VR and solved that by using the transparency slider. No longer get 2D panels to pop up but at least i get clear VR.

My main question is this. Is there a way to get the VR experience to become more clear? i get a good picture, a real good picture, but in the VC, its a bit blurry at times (the textures). Even if i move in real close, it does not become sharper/clearer. Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Not to my knowledge. VR is still pretty young and the best software can‘t improve the hardware limits.

1) If you need glasses in real life, you might just need them in VR as well.

2) Using the oculus tray tool (if you have an oculus rift) and altering the HMD supersampling can give an increase on apparent image clarity, albeit often at the cost of frame rate. Ymmv.

3) You might find more information in Avsims VR forum.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

i dont need glasses....

I downloaded the tray tool and that helped a bit. I messed around with the super-sampling and that helped out too. Still not totally crisp but maybe in some future update we will see improvements... Thinking about returning the Rift (still within return window) but i do love flying with it. Especially VFR and Carrier Ops.

Thinking of getting VR myself, what is the resolution of the Rift?

So if I wanted to get an idea of how "fuzzy" P3D would be in VR I could just run P3D at the same resolution as the Rift?

I notice you have SLI, what FPS are you getting in VR?   Do you get motion sickness from low FPS?

Do you think VR is worth it?  How does it feel sitting in the 747 cockpit in VR?

Matthew S

With a Rift, using pixel density of 1.6 and up is your best option. Other than that, higher resolution HMDs are already available, but the difference is not considerable. I have bought a Samsung Odyssey and sold it after a while because even though it had better resolution, compatibility was an issue.

All in all I am pretty happy with my Rift and will keep using it until the 2nd. generation comes out.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Thiago,

I was wondering when you would chime in on this one LOL

So you sold your Odyssey eh? There must be an interesting story on that one.  

I am still sitting on the fence and just waiting for the Pimax5+ prices. Lovely reviews so far and I am pretty sure my system will not take the 8K and the same probably applies to the 5K+ as well. It is going to be very interesting to look at a FlightSim specific review of the 5+ when released.

Regards

Tony

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

25 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Thiago,

I was wondering when you would chime in on this one LOL

So you sold your Odyssey eh? There must be an interesting story on that one.  

I am still sitting on the fence and just waiting for the Pimax5+ prices. Lovely reviews so far and I am pretty sure my system will not take the 8K and the same probably applies to the 5K+ as well. It is going to be very interesting to look at a FlightSim specific review of the 5+ when released.

Regards

Tony

Yes, I had some issues with the Windows Mixed-Reality Software that runs the Odyssey. My use case might be a bit different from the majority, as I only use VR in some parts of the flight. These activation procedures caused multiple sound problems both in P3D and in XP11. For instance, the airacraft sounds of the FSLabs A320/Flight-Factor A320 would just be lost after enabling/disabling VR.

For that reason, I was barely using the Odyssyey, even though it was a very good piece of hardware. The Oculus software is just miles ahead of WMR at this point.

I will definetely take a look at the Pimax once it is widely available. Hopefully I can run the 5K version on my current Rig as I am only planning to upgrade in a year or so.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Are you guys seriously using vr in p3d with payware planes and payware airports?  How can you get 60+ fps in Vc when on final approach? Just not possible in any of the main Sims out there.. Unless you are flying pmdg 747 into default airports.. Which beats the whole purpose of immersion.. So what is the bare minimum fps reqd in VR to stave off nausea? 

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

I get roughly the same performance in VR as I do with a screen in v4.3 using single-pass render. I've turned down some settings a bit but not to a point where it bothers me. Well worth the trade off. It's clear enough with SS at 1.6 and higher as someone said. I use 1.8 myself.

Edited by andreh

What's your fps in VC on final to say flytampa EHAM? 

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

The sound issues with the Odyssey are a PITA. I overcame that by extending the sleep counter to its maximum value so the headset virtually never goes to sleep on its own. That way it doesn't disable the headset sound drivers by going to sleep. Part of the issue is that there isn't a clean transition from one audio output to another if the active one is disabled. The sound just disappears instead as its trying to send its output to the device no longer enabled.

Doing this put the risk of screen burnout on my headset which I do notice is happening. When I am in cruise, I disable VR in P3D, by habit because if the headset went to sleep which VR was enabled, it would crash the sim. But the white scene in Steam VR being shown for such a long time does cause white screen burn in and is making my headset more blurry...

I wish the headset would just turn the screen display off instead of putting the headset to sleep. It would solve all the problems! Ahh the trials and tribulations of pioneering VR in flight sims!

Chris Lezama

1 hour ago, vin747 said:

Are you guys seriously using vr in p3d with payware planes and payware airports?  How can you get 60+ fps in Vc when on final approach? Just not possible in any of the main Sims out there.. Unless you are flying pmdg 747 into default airports.. Which beats the whole purpose of immersion.. So what is the bare minimum fps reqd in VR to stave off nausea? 

I am using VR with every add-on possible and I have absolutely no issues with nausea. Please notice that we are not talking of a 3D shooter here, where it needs to be 90fps at all times. P3D/XP11 are a very slow-paced environment, so lower FPS in some scenarios is not a significant issue, at least for me.

41 minutes ago, truthknown said:

The sound issues with the Odyssey are a PITA. I overcame that by extending the sleep counter to its maximum value so the headset virtually never goes to sleep on its own. That way it doesn't disable the headset sound drivers by going to sleep. Part of the issue is that there isn't a clean transition from one audio output to another if the active one is disabled. The sound just disappears instead as its trying to send its output to the device no longer enabled.

Doing this put the risk of screen burnout on my headset which I do notice is happening. When I am in cruise, I disable VR in P3D, by habit because if the headset went to sleep which VR was enabled, it would crash the sim. But the white scene in Steam VR being shown for such a long time does cause white screen burn in and is making my headset more blurry...

I wish the headset would just turn the screen display off instead of putting the headset to sleep. It would solve all the problems! Ahh the trials and tribulations of pioneering VR in flight sims!

I remember when I had the Odyssey trying all sorts of things to prevent sleep-mode from activating, including taping the sensors and nothing would work. Changing the stand-by timer was not an option at that time, from what I`ve remember. Anyway it is a shame, because the device itself is very good.

Edited by GCBraun

4 hours ago, GCBraun said:

I remember when I had the Odyssey trying all sorts of things to prevent sleep-mode from activating, including taping the sensors and nothing would work. Changing the stand-by timer was not an option at that time, from what I`ve remember. Anyway it is a shame, because the device itself is very good.

It was always an option but its a registry edit. Just no one knew about it but finally some Microsoft tech guy posted it on some forum that I found.

Chris Lezama

5 hours ago, vin747 said:

Are you guys seriously using vr in p3d with payware planes and payware airports?

sure... 

How can you get 60+ fps in Vc when on final approach?

No need to. 30 is fully sufficient, 40 is nice to have.

Just not possible in any of the main Sims out there..

Not with a generation 4 CPU probably. I have gen 7 and a GTX1080Ti. My limitation is the VR device.

So what is the bare minimum fps reqd in VR to stave off nausea?

anything faster than your eyes.

But it's actually more important that there are no stutters. There is nothing worse then turning your head and hence the sense of balance when your graphic loads and stutters. You need a "more than" sufficient hardware and have to tweak your system so that it gives you a smooth flight.