Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

RTX 2080 Ti vs GTX 1080 Ti vs GTX 980 Ti: 1440p

10 minutes ago, TopGun33 said:

Wild guess : coding optimization of the ESP engine. Not absolute answer of course but that would be my guess.

If that’s the case then you have to wonder if it can ever be greatly improved whilst it’s still based on the ESP engine. Is that the price we pay for backward compatibility?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Pretty sure, yes. I'm sure we can find some FS98 scenery that is compatible with P3D4.

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 32 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 2080 TI OS : Win 10 PRO Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, 2x Saitek Radios, 1x Saitek Multipanel, 1x Saitek Proflight Switch, Custom homecockpit.

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

When you see 175fps in that sim you have to wonder how bad the code is in the ESP engine that cripples performance so much. Even half of that performance - 88fps - would be totally acceptable.

Given Nvidia are asking £1200 for the 2080i but for it to be barely any better than a previous generation card makes it a non-starter for me.

I don't know if is it fair to compare if we know that FS2 doesn't have the whole globe, no traffic (air, land and see), no weather, I don't have FS2, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | Samsung G9 49" Curved Monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

20 minutes ago, penta_a said:

I don't know if is it fair to compare if we know that FS2 doesn't have the whole globe, no traffic (air, land and see), no weather, I don't have FS2, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I appreciate that DCSW does not cover the entire globe but it does cover quite a large area as you can see in the video. That suggests that P3D is processing a lot of things outside the immediate area including Ai.

So for a fair comparison Ai should be excluded and anything else that puts P3D at a disadvantage. No Wx should certainly be chosen and then add things back one at a time and judge the impact each has. There may be one option that is hogging resources.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

15 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I appreciate that FSW does not cover the entire globe but it does cover quite a large area as you can see in the video. That suggests that P3D is processing a lot of things outside the immediate area including Ai.

So for a fair comparison Ai should be excluded and anything else that puts P3D at a disadvantage. No Wx should certainly be chosen and then add things back one at a time and judge the impact each has. There may be one option that is hogging resources.

Aerofly does cover the entire globe, just with very low resolution Orthos (suitable for airline flights) except for specific areas.

I've never accepted the fair comparison argument though. You can look right at DCS in this very thread, and it has pretty much everything that P3D has; water, ai, traffic, night lighting, complex aircraft, clouds and weather...... and still hits 175fps.

X-plane is no slouch either, and that's even before Vulkan!

Hard as it is to accept sometimes, I believe for myself that P3D simply no longer represents the pinnacle of what's possible on modern hardware anymore.

It remains however, the pinnacle in its unbeatable ecosystem of available add ons.

Doesn't mean we stop trying to push it, though! 😁

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

@HiFlyer, I agree with you. If I was running the test I would start will all sliders to the left and all options deselected or set to off or zero. No 3rd party stuff either - just the base sim.

You are then running the sim at its base level. Knowing what the fps is there would be a good starting point. I know it’s laborious changing settings and checking fps but it’s the only way of finding out where the bottlenecks are.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@HiFlyer, I agree with you. If I was running the test I would start will all sliders to the left and all options deselected or set to off or zero. No 3rd party stuff either - just the base sim.

You are then running the sim at its base level. Knowing what the fps is there would be a good starting point. I know it’s laborious changing settings and checking fps but it’s the only way of finding out where the bottlenecks are.

I was actually waiting for Rob to have the enthusiasm for a lot of that, since he was supposed to have received his cards yesterday, but I can try too.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

DCS does NOT have everything P3D or XP11, not even remotely close ... you should check out the 5000+ pages of the P3D SDK sometime.

I’ll post my 2080Ti vs TitanXP results later this morning.  I was slightly disappointed at what a single 2080Ti could do in P3D.  Two 2080Ti I was impressed with how well that scaled. 

Cheers, Rob.

20 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I’ll post my 2080Ti vs TitanXP results later this morning.  I was slightly disappointed at what a single 2080Ti could do in P3D.  Two 2080Ti I was impressed with how well that scaled.

Crikey! Do we have to spend £2K on graphics now just to get a decent boost? I await your findings with interest.

P3D and perhaps XPlane have become monsters. :sad:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

55 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

DCS does NOT have everything P3D or XP11, not even remotely close

It would be interesting to see a list, since in actually flying in the sim I don't see much missing.... unless you mean P3D with lots of addons.

Now I admit P3D gives you a lot more to fiddle with in its code, but then that may be why it runs the way it does as well. I often wonder how much is enough, and when the artist should finally step back and put down the paintbrush.

31 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

P3D and perhaps XPlane have become monsters. :sad:

You, know..... P3D straight out of the box runs beautifully. (so does fsx) Then we...... do...... things to it, and..........

• Upvote 1

Devons rig

3 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

You, know..... P3D straight out of the box runs beautifully. (so does fsx) Then we...... do...... things to it, and..........

Indeed we do but unless we can establish what the base fps is then we don’t know what is causing the problem.

And I’d love to know the fps with the default sim but with all settings on max. Would you expect 100fps on the base sim with every option off or slider to the left?

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Crikey! Do we have to spend £2K on graphics now just to get a decent boost?

I could see somebody building a cockpit doing that..... But judging by the numbers of people here who have come forwards to say they've purchased a 2080ti (apparently not so many!!) I suspect that's going to be a quite limited number, at least until the prices drop.

Twin 2070's sound more likely

Devons rig

48 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Indeed we do but unless we can establish what the base fps is then we don’t know what is causing the problem.

Trying some more! (again) 😴 😋😃

lAhVr5.jpg

g3aUaW.jpg

nZ19A2.jpg

nN34VG.jpg

Yyv5ib.png

VC6IzJ.png

Devons rig

Around 40fps with a light aircraft in fair weather. It doesn't fill me with confidence. Save your cfg file and delete it.

Let P3D build a new one and turn everything off. Do the same test.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Around 40fps with a light aircraft in fair weather. It doesn't fill me with confidence. Save your cfg file and delete it.

Let P3D build a new one and turn everything off. Do the same test.

Like I said before, I don't think the 2080ti is going to really be about framerates in P3D. More like it will let you turn on all those GPU-dependant settings that were too heavy to use before, while keeping the FPS at about the 30fps that Rob has advocated for a while.

Devons rig