Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

RTX 2080 Ti vs GTX 1080 Ti vs GTX 980 Ti: 1440p

8 minutes ago, KL Oo said:

I’m a bit bemused about the P3D results . 25fps over NY with the processor working at 50% and the GPU not much different. What’s the bottleneck, what’s holding the FPS back??

Maybe let's try a less strenuous area...... Orbx KPSP
G0uOe6.jpg

vtEI6o.jpg

qkJGYQ.jpg

mCmm4i.jpg

kXkmyd.jpg

dHp9gR.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I'm need to buy a copy of Prepar3d,  but I now have both of my 2080 Tis. (The nvlink bridge wont get here until Tuesday, however.  If I get some free time today, I'll get prepar3d installed and run some tests. 

5 hours ago, KL Oo said:

I’m a bit bemused about the P3D results . 25fps over NY with the processor working at 50% and the GPU not much different. What’s the bottleneck, what’s holding the FPS back??

hmm, let's see here ...could it be memory?  🙂

3 hours ago, FunknNasty said:

hmm, let's see here ...could it be memory?  🙂

I doubt it, but lets approach it from a different angle. P3D is not my main sim so I admit to being a bit rusty. Last night I spent quality time reading up on recommended settings and dialing it back a bit, while still looking for a quality image and good FPS.

Again, it seems the best use of the 2080ti is in maxing all settings that are most dependant of the GPU in P3D while not getting completely crazy with the rest.

I hope the following is a bit more encouraging:

827YcC.jpg

bIHxGs.jpg

Y0ZnFA.jpg

AiiuAO.jpg

ZIaCfg.jpg

KvxX2D.jpg

Qm8Kes.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

11 hours ago, KL Oo said:

….... What’s the bottleneck, what’s holding the FPS back??

I think the P3D engine itself is holding the FPS. Perhaps P3D internal processes are waiting for each others to be completed before proceeding to next task and so on...

Mike

My 2 cents (CA)

I've been looking at all the tests available on the 2080ti and if there is one thing that is clear is that the 2080ti at 1920x1080 or 2560x1440  will not show "much" of a difference, HOWEVER AT 4k, card shines: at least better than the 1080ti.

So, in my opinion there is hardly any point in trying to look for performance increase at resolutions lower than 4K.

Cheers,

Pierre

Pierre

Devons rig

9 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Again, it seems the best use of the 2080ti is in maxing all settings that are most dependant of the GPU in P3D while not getting completely crazy with the rest.

I must admit, I'm puzzled by your P3D settings? 

AG buildings are very CPU bound, you have them maxed out?

DR (Dynamic Reflections) are OFF, this is extremely GPU intensive you'd want it on.

I didn't see any DL (Dynamic Lights) tests at an airport with DL support?

8XSSAA should not be used with FXAA (FXAA will just make things blurry it's better used with MSAA)?

Why are all the rest of you CPUs at 2-3% ... did you disable them via some AffinityMask setting?  When I'm flying over dense scenery like NY, the main synch CPU 0 will be at 90-95% and my 9 other CPUs will be at 60-80% load.

The only reflection option you have enabled is "User Vehicle", these will be GPU intensive and you'd want them enabled to stress out the GPU and you'd need to fly low at night near water to see reflections in their glory.

You'd also want shadow quality and draw distance set to max to stress the GPU.

4K res would definitely stress out the GPU more.

My GPU's will arrive tomorrow (Monday 8th according to FedEx), NVLinks are already here so hopefully I can dig into testing tomorrow night after I get my baseline done on the TitanXP.

Thanks for reporting your results so far, not sure what to make of them, but appreciate the postings.

Cheers, Rob.

26 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

AG buildings are very CPU bound, you have them maxed out?

I simply can't fly without buildings close to max. It defeats the whole purpose of immersion (I think) to cut buildings down too much, and constitutes an "unreal scenario" for me, since there is no circumstance where I would fly that way.

I didn't see any DL (Dynamic Lights) tests at an airport with DL support?

I didn't do any airport photos. (and I don't like the P3D dynamic lights anyway. For what they do, they take WAY to much power compared to X-plane) 

8XSSAA should not be used with FXAA (FXAA will just make things blurry it's better used with MSAA)?

Not a big worry for me as generally Fxaa is "free," and I leave it on or off randomly

Why are all the rest of you CPUs at 2-3% ... did you disable them via some AffinityMask setting?

Nope! I don't mess with the CFG anymore. In fact I deleted it and let P3D create a new one at the same time as I deleted shaders and used DDU in safe mode to install the new drivers.

4K res would definitely stress out the GPU more.

I deliberately have only a 2K monitor. I tend to think 4k is overkill, so I may never get a 4k monitor. (tiny writing!😁

Devons rig

What happens to your Aerofly framerates on a 2080 ti when you turn shadows off?

This:

I think that's enough for VR........ ❤️

JluizK.png

VUqdsX.png

KC22bS.png

Devons rig

6 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I didn't do any airport photos. (and I don't like the P3D dynamic lights anyway. For what they do, they take WAY to much power compared to X-plane) 

I deliberately have only a 2K monitor. I tend to think 4k is overkill, so I may never get a 4k monitor. (tiny writing!😁

Perhaps since you now have a 2080ti you might like to try enabling DL and see how much ‘power’ they take up? That’s the point of a $1200 card right, to provide a little extra power to run these sorts of things?

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

4 minutes ago, KL Oo said:

Perhaps since you now have a 2080ti you might like to try enabling DL and see how much ‘power’ they take up? That’s the point of a $1200 card right, to provide a little extra power to run these sorts of things?

Maybe. My initial experiments with it a while ago left such a bad slideshow taste that I kind of blocked the whole concept from my brain! 🙈

Devons rig

That would be great. At FBs KSFO in the PMDG 747 my frames would go from 30+ down to 5~10 with 100% GPU usage when I activated the landing lights on the 747. That was with a straight 1080.... 

I’m just interested if the 2080ti will out perform two 1080tis running in SLI.

When are you expecting yours to arrive Rob?

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

If you overload the CPU side, you'll mask any potential benefit from the GPU.  For "testing purposes only" you might want to drop AG buildings down one notch, again just for testing.

DL and SSAA and 4K is probably the primary reason I'm getting the 2080Ti ... those three graphics options are by far the most GPU intensive ... with DR and reflections a close 2nd.

FXAA combined with 8XSSAA will actually make the image quality worse, even at 1440p, not a matter of "Free".

So any clues as to why the rest of your CPUs are asleep?  That's definitely NOT normal for P3D operations.

Cheers, Rob.

4 minutes ago, KL Oo said:

When are you expecting yours to arrive Rob?

Tomorrow.

Cheers, Rob.