Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Dual boot?

My 1TB SSD is getting close to maximum capacity.  I am not installing Netherlands because it would reduce the free space required for the computer's operation.

I went to my local computer shop where my tech and guru who built the computer I am using now works.  Two summers ago I ordered the parts as I could afford them (CPU, Motherboard, SSD, memory chips and video card.)  He got the case and liquid cooling system and whatever else was required.

I want Windows 7 installed so I can install FS2004 (for CalClassics propliners and 1960s scenery) as well as my old MSTS train simulator along with P3Dv4 and all my Orbx scenery.

He suggested a dual boot system leaving Windows 10 installed on a 500GB partition for my non-gaming stuff like Word Perfect and the like and a Windows 7 partition for P3Dv4, FS2004 and MSTS and whatever other games I want to install.

Someone whose input I value and trust said dual boot systems can have problems and she suggested I just have Windows 7 installed on the 2TB SSD.

What do you guys think?  I'll go with the consensus.

Noel 

Edited by birdguy

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Dual boot can have problems if you have to reset the MBR (master boot record). However, I have only experience of Linux and Windows dual-boot, not of a Dual-boot of Windows OS's.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Don't do it. 

Run your Sim PC standalone like it's a big deal. Don't pollute it with cr*p - even if it's on another partition - it'll find it.

Get a cheapo laptop for the day to day work stuff - you know - for earning money, organising your life and surfing the net, etc.

I have a 10 year old laptop that I use for day to day boring work stuff, etc. It has no idea it's sitting on a black box containing my beautiful PC Flight Simulator. They are inches apart but neither is aware of the others existence.

If you absolutely must have Windows 7 for certain applications, I'd put it on a separate computer, maybe an old laptop. Dual boot with the same OS version can be good for running a stripped-down version for gaming and flight sims alongside a more general-purpose setup. And maybe if you want something like Linux on the same machine.

But running current and older versions of the same OS isn't a great idea. Too much potential for confusion trying to keep both updated and virus/malware free. 

Speaking of which... Microsoft will stop official support for Windows 7 on Jan. 14, 2020. It's not that far away now, just a little over a year, and that means no more security patch updates. If you really need to run Windows 7 and want to continue after 1/2020, I'd recommend a "black box" approach where you're using a separate computer, never connected to the Internet. After that date, Win7 will become even more vulnerable to malware attacks, like the recent ransomware that targeted un-patched Windows XP systems in hospitals.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

No, install W7 on the existing 1TB SSD system drive, and then install the new drive for all your games. Keep the games separate from your OS. Get rid of W 10.  W-7  is perfectly safe as long as you have a good security program like ESET, or Kaspersky installed. I use ESET, Jay Kae (the server guy for OrbX, remember him?) always recommended it.

Sue

Edited by Penzoil3

I stopped by my computer shop this afternoon and we discussed this.  He agrees dual boot is not the best way to do this.

I do have an older laptop with all the mundane applications on it like mail, Word Perfect, my writing and pictures, etc-etc-etc.

I will go with Sue's suggestion on using the two SSDs on my desktop and also Ganter's suggestion to do my mundane things on my laptop which is just a step away on another desk.

Thanks for your suggestions guys (and gals).

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

For me, Windows 10 works extremely well with FS2004, of which I'm running 6x different installs.

No issues at all.

Just install the sim into C:\ & NOT the default Program File directory.

Use the 9.1 patch

Right-click & run the .exe in XP compatibility mode & as Admin.

No need for dual booting, or anything else.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I've tried that way for both FS2004 and MSTS Robin.  On my system they won't work.  Maybe they will but I'm not competent enough to figure it out.

I'm a complete dunce.  I installed both FS2004 and MSTS in the administrator mode but when I try to run they both tell me I must be in the administrator mode.  I did install them in the administrator mode so I don't know what to do next.  I'm pretty much a dunce when it comes to today's computers (I miss DOS).

Since I'm out of room on my 1TB SSD and have to move to a larger drive why not just go back to Windows 7 which I  am familiar with.  I never was comfortable with Windows 10.

Noel 

I gave my rig a Dual Boot, kicked it twice, didn't fix anything 😄

Matthew Kane

2 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

I gave my rig a Dual Boot, kicked it twice, didn't fix anything 😄

Reminds me of the time I tried running Windows on my Mac.

Boot Camp was hard work and there were many bruises. Never again.

11 hours ago, birdguy said:

I've tried that way for both FS2004 and MSTS Robin.  On my system they won't work.  Maybe they will but I'm not competent enough to figure it out.

I'm a complete dunce.  I installed both FS2004 and MSTS in the administrator mode but when I try to run they both tell me I must be in the administrator mode.  I did install them in the administrator mode so I don't know what to do next.  I'm pretty much a dunce when it comes to today's computers (I miss DOS).

Since I'm out of room on my 1TB SSD and have to move to a larger drive why not just go back to Windows 7 which I  am familiar with.  I never was comfortable with Windows 10.

Noel 

Not a problem...

I just installed the sim the normal way, not in Admin mode (I've no idea how to do that anyway)...

Then I right-clicked the icon (you can also do this to the FS9.exe, clicked Properies, Then Compatibility, then XP Mode, then ticked Run as Admin..

All worked perfectly.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...