Sign in to follow this  
epopchock

reliable weather engine for FSX

I currently have a freeware weather engine for my Flight Simulator X called FSXWX, which only provides historical weather from the past 365 days.  I am looking for a better weather engine for my flight simulator that records historical weather at least 2 to 3 years in the past.  I am trying to choose between FSGlobal Real Weather and Active Sky 16 Full Version for FSX.  I am not sure which one is more reliable.  I read that Active Sky records historical weather from the previous 2 years, and FSGlobal Real Weather does record historical weather data, but doesn't say whether it records data from more than a year in the past.  If I want to get historical weather data from more than a year in the past, which weather engine is best?

Regards,

Evan😁

FSGRW is really a nice simple weather engine, I use it with REX clouds and get very good results, however regarding historical data it also only goes back 14 months, at least that is what is showing up back to 07/17 on the drop down.

1 hour ago, MartinRex007 said:

FSGRW is really a nice simple weather engine, I use it with REX clouds and get very good results, however regarding historical data it also only goes back 14 months, at least that is what is showing up back to 07/17 on the drop down.

so you're saying that FSGRW is better than AS2016?

No, AS2016 provides more than just a weather engine, you have to decide for yourself what you want.

Edited by MartinRex007
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MartinRex007 said:

AS2016 provides more than just a weather engine, you have to decide for yourself what you want.

well after doing my research, I have decided that FSGRW may be better for me, because it would be far too complicated for me to use AS2016.  and as a person who just likes to go ahead and fly after installing something, FSGRW is what I am going with.

45 minutes ago, epopchock said:

well after doing my research, I have decided that FSGRW may be better for me, because it would be far too complicated for me to use AS2016.  and as a person who just likes to go ahead and fly after installing something, FSGRW is what I am going with.

Read my profile below in my signature and you will see that accurate weather is of special interest to me.  For several years I have used cloud textures from REX Essentials + OD and live weather from FSGRW with highly acceptable results.  I have recently upgraded my REX to Skyforce 3D, but have not flown yet with it as my weather engine.  I plan to do so soon.  My previous experience with REX products as my live wx engine had flaws in the winds aloft.  That was over three years ago, so I am interested in how it performs now.  FSGRW is always either spot on, or well within the ball park, 

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

AS2016 is a breeze to use, I just load it and fly. You have a choice of live weather, historical or you can make up your own if you wish. Now cloud textures is another matter. i don't like the cartoony look of some weather add ons so still using the default ones.

• Upvote 1

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

13 minutes ago, Dazkent said:

AS2016 is a breeze to use, I just load it and fly. You have a choice of live weather, historical or you can make up your own if you wish. Now cloud textures is another matter. i don't like the cartoony look of some weather add ons so still using the default ones.

I previously used AS2016 with the textures from Rex Essential + OD but recently switched to using textures from Active Sky Cloud Art and Envtex and I am very impressed with the results, particularly the improved haze/fog effects.

Bill

• Upvote 1

Ever since I started doing long hauls with FSXWX and the PMDG 777, I realised that my sim would start freezing at intervals of about 5 seconds (runs for 5 sec, pauses for 5 sec, runs for 5 sec etc.) after flying for about 5-6 hours. It may be worth mentioning that I only have the free version of FSUIPC so I don't think autosave would be the cause of this. I have also realised that if I close Vpilot (I fly on Vatsim) after the freezing starts, the sim goes back to normal but then Vpilot won't allow me to connect to FSX again which is annoying. Another (probably obvious) observation I have is that this only happens when I have internet connection. I was flying at a friend's house and I couldn't connect to his Wifi so I used my phone's hotspot to reload the FSXWX weather every 30-60 minutes so that I wouldn't be stuck with the same weather for the whole flight. No freezing ocurred. This has lead me to believe that the problem is being caused by FSXWX loading/re-injecting weather over a certain period of time. This doesn't happen on any other aircraft apart from the PMDG 737 and 777. I have no clue how to fix this issue and any help would be appreciated.