Sign in to follow this  
Rda

Will my configuration be able to run P3D ?

Hello Everyone,

I am pleased to meet you all on this forum.

My first name is Rubén

I am a newcomer on this forum and this is my first post on this forum so not sure my question fell at the right place.

I am about to buy a new computer. It will be dedicated to P3D exclusively.

Do you think the following config can run P3D properly ?

- CPU: i5 8400

- Ram: 12Gb

- GPU: GTX 1060 (6GB)

- HDD: 1TO

- SSD: 120GB

Many thanks in advance for you answers/thoughts/suggestions.

Welcome to the AVSIM forums, Rubén .  I see no reason why it wouldn't run P3D.  What is the CPU speed?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

21 minutes ago, Rda said:

Hello Everyone,

I am pleased to meet you all on this forum.

My first name is Rubén

I am a newcomer on this forum and this is my first post on this forum so not sure my question fell at the right place.

I am about to buy a new computer. It will be dedicated to P3D exclusively.

Do you think the following config can run P3D properly ?

- CPU: i5 8400

- Ram: 12Gb

- GPU: GTX 1060 (6GB)

- HDD: 1TO

- SSD: 120GB

Many thanks in advance for you answers/thoughts/suggestions.

If you have enough space on your SSD, you should be able to run & enjoy it.

If you need any help, let us know.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

54 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Welcome to the AVSIM forums, Rubén .  I see no reason why it wouldn't run P3D.  What is the CPU speed?

Thanks for your welcome and prompt answer, Charliearon. 

Cpu speed is: 2.80 (core frequency) and 3.90 (Intel Turbo Boost). 

3.90 (Turbo Boost) should work OK.  Hope you have good cooling.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

37 minutes ago, DJJose said:

If you have enough space on your SSD, you should be able to run & enjoy it.

If you need any help, let us know.

Thanks also for your answer, DJJose. Do you think I should go for a bigger SSD ? The fact is I do not know the exact room taken by P3D with the usual add-ons. 

23 minutes ago, charliearon said:

3.90 (Turbo Boost) should work OK.  Hope you have good cooling.

I have 4 Thermaltake fans of 120mm

59 minutes ago, Rda said:

Thanks also for your answer, DJJose. Do you think I should go for a bigger SSD ? The fact is I do not know the exact room taken by P3D with the usual add-ons. 

SSDs are very affordable right now. Get at least a 500gig or 1TB SSD. Put P3D on an SSD. It will load much faster and you will be much happier.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

7 hours ago, DJJose said:

SSDs are very affordable right now. Get at least a 500gig or 1TB SSD. Put P3D on an SSD. It will load much faster and you will be much happier.

Thanks DJJose

• Like 1

Lemme tell you something. I think that as soon as it runs with more than 15 fps, then enjoy! I have a very potato-like pc (aka core 2 quad toaster) fitted with a GTX 750ti (2g is low but hey) and even if it seems like trash i can still happily play most of the time. Sure, It's not a beast performance-wise, or even a 4K runner. But see it this way: instead of struggleing like most people, just try to make it fun and nice. I cannot run the AS busses much, but still, I for sure can say that enjoying those little airports with a bae146,q400 or even a pmdg 737 will make me happy for days. As for your system, just two things to say: config is excellent for you (gtx 1060 is a real treasure) and the 6gb will let you run about anything), and as soon as you don't push the settings too much at the right, then you're fine!:biggrin: Just i'd recommend a bit more space because with the ORBX stuff your P3D folder can easely go over 600gb... and also keep an eye, because if your drive is too full (<25% remaining) you may encounter some autogen problems like I did. My game is on a 1TB HDD and including addons it must be more than the 600gb I told you... 

So stay cool, enjoy and If there's a payware I can recommend you, then it's the leonardo MADDOG X. It seems a bit pricey but you'll enjoy it forever. And FPS are more than good, even on my system, including Trueglass from TFDI (windshield rain effects) IMO I think it's unbeatable in terms of realism.

Unless we're talking about a really old computer and operating system, pretty much any PC which comes fairly near the minimum specs Lockheed Martin suggests, will run P3D. The only question really is: 'how well will it run P3D?'. I can run P3D pretty well on my 400 quid laptop for example, although I rarely do so since it runs better on my desktop computer.

Even very fast and expensive PCs with every whistle and bell it is possible to have will sometimes struggle with P3D and so it's just one of those things that you, me and everyone else who uses P3D (and FSX or many other flight sims too) has to accept, regardless of how fancy their computer is, that we're sometimes going to have to untick some of the display options, such as the amount of AI traffic, or the draw distance or whatever, especially when we start adding everything including the kitchen sink to our flight sims.

So yeah, go for it, your computer will run it just fine, and welcome to Avsim too. 🙂

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

6 hours ago, Chock said:

Unless we're talking about a really old computer and operating system, pretty much any PC which comes fairly near the minimum specs Lockheed Martin suggests, will run P3D. The only question really is: 'how well will it run P3D?'. I can run P3D pretty well on my 400 quid laptop for example, although I rarely do so since it runs better on my desktop computer.

Even very fast and expensive PCs with every whistle and bell it is possible to have will sometimes struggle with P3D and so it's just one of those things that you, me and everyone else who uses P3D (and FSX or many other flight sims too) has to accept, regardless of how fancy their computer is, that we're sometimes going to have to untick some of the display options, such as the amount of AI traffic, or the draw distance or whatever, especially when we start adding everything including the kitchen sink to our flight sims.

So yeah, go for it, your computer will run it just fine, and welcome to Avsim too. 🙂

Also I have to say that if you're afraid of having to tweak your sim then it's not for you... unless you want a vanilla edition. I've spent about two months tweaking the sim everyday, to improve stability, performance and even visuals. and when you do the thing you shouldn't have done (long to say but will stay polite) then if you're lucky enough to find a backup, great! Otherwise, you have to do it all again from scratch.

ALWAYS,ALWAYS do backups of scenery.cfg, p3d.cfg, and any kind of config file you mod

19 hours ago, LH340fan said:

Lemme tell you something. I think that as soon as it runs with more than 15 fps, then enjoy! I have a very potato-like pc (aka core 2 quad toaster) fitted with a GTX 750ti (2g is low but hey) and even if it seems like trash i can still happily play most of the time. Sure, It's not a beast performance-wise, or even a 4K runner. But see it this way: instead of struggleing like most people, just try to make it fun and nice. I cannot run the AS busses much, but still, I for sure can say that enjoying those little airports with a bae146,q400 or even a pmdg 737 will make me happy for days. As for your system, just two things to say: config is excellent for you (gtx 1060 is a real treasure) and the 6gb will let you run about anything), and as soon as you don't push the settings too much at the right, then you're fine!:biggrin: Just i'd recommend a bit more space because with the ORBX stuff your P3D folder can easely go over 600gb... and also keep an eye, because if your drive is too full (<25% remaining) you may encounter some autogen problems like I did. My game is on a 1TB HDD and including addons it must be more than the 600gb I told you... 

So stay cool, enjoy and If there's a payware I can recommend you, then it's the leonardo MADDOG X. It seems a bit pricey but you'll enjoy it forever. And FPS are more than good, even on my system, including Trueglass from TFDI (windshield rain effects) IMO I think it's unbeatable in terms of realism.

Thanks for your advice and suggestion LH340fan. 

I will upgrade my SSD I think 🙂

17 hours ago, Chock said:

Many thanks for your comprehensive answer Chock. 

Anyway, I wasn't looking for 60fps 24/7. Just wanted to be sure my setup could do the job and run P3D more or less smoothly. 

10 hours ago, LH340fan said:

I've spent about two months tweaking the sim everyday,

I have never touched any cfg or other file. Nothing tweaked at all and it runs just fine.

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof