Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
shivers9

Prepar3d FSElite Exclusive: Interesting shift for LM

Recommended Posts

With the excitement of the P3D 4.4 update I wonder what is behind this move. It probably is not very important but is a bit odd? It just seems like AVSIM and many other sites have been kind of lost in the dark on this one.


Sam

Prepar3D V5.0/8086K@5.0/EVGA 1080TI SC Black/850W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung Monitor@3840x2160/ASP4/ASCA/ORBX/ChasePlane/General Aviation/Vertx DA-62/

Share this post


Link to post

Adam Breed has given these types of interviews previously. They usually coincide with a flight sim convention and are alway about the future. This is the first time that release notes have been shared, though. LM has always appeared "above the fray" when it comes to actively promoting the prosumer aspects of P3d. The sudden demise of DTG FSW probably removed any hesitancy on the part of LM with regard to all out publicity, marketing and community involvement.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

The sudden demise of DTG FSW probably removed any hesitancy on the part of LM with regard to all out publicity, marketing and community involvement.

Makes sense. We all knew these changes were coming but was hard to tell if PBR would show up now or V5.0. I started to feel sure it (PBR) would come in this update because it sure seems like Vertx was on hold for this release. I suspect we will see what the textures are all about with the release of the DA 62.

Edited by shivers9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.0/8086K@5.0/EVGA 1080TI SC Black/850W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung Monitor@3840x2160/ASP4/ASCA/ORBX/ChasePlane/General Aviation/Vertx DA-62/

Share this post


Link to post

The default F-16 in 4.4 has PBR textures. Rob can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest

What I find interesting is that with this 'move' LM is clearly reaching out to the home flight simmers. Unlike some (or many) over here think we home flight simmers are more important to LM than some (or many) think. We are not just allowed on the side: we also are a target.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, J van E said:

What I find interesting is that with this 'move' LM is clearly reaching out to the home flight simmers. Unlike some (or many) over here think we home flight simmers are more important to LM than some (or many) think. We are not just allowed on the side: we also are a target.

LM has many "targets" of interest. Many folks on this forum don't realize how diversified they really are. I watched the Mars landing yesterday and they developed much of the system for that effort.


Sam

Prepar3D V5.0/8086K@5.0/EVGA 1080TI SC Black/850W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung Monitor@3840x2160/ASP4/ASCA/ORBX/ChasePlane/General Aviation/Vertx DA-62/

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

The default F-16 in 4.4 has PBR textures.

That is correct, but that's an "included" aircraft, I'm pretty sure we'll see higher quality/detailed 3rd party payware offerings.

LM use different public avenues for each release, they even went the Reddit route on one release ... I don't think there is any "shift", just doing the round robin.

Cheers, Rob.

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

LM use different public avenues for each release, they even went the Reddit route on one release ... I don't think there is any "shift", just doing the round robin.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob - The release note state the following:

Photoreal textures can now be rendered at 512×512 and 1024×1024 resolution.

Can you explain what that means to current users of photoreal textures such as Orbx True Earth or PC Aviator MegaScenery products?

 

Share this post


Link to post

I used to get all my flight sim news right here at the Avsim forums. But the removal of the “Latest Threads” section, or whatever it was called, made it rather inconvenient for me to keep up to date on the goings on of our community. This, and some of the rather heavy handed moderation around here, have lead me to come to Avsim less and less. And please don’t misconstrue my opinion as an attempt to start anything. It’s just my observation. 

However, I have been putting off a complete reinstall of P3D for a while now but this patch will be good motivation to get it done. My sims performance has been absolutely atrocious which it should not be for my system specs. Now to schedule a couple of extra days to get that done once the new patch releases. 

  • Upvote 1

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, MikeT707 said:

Rob - The release note state the following:

Photoreal textures can now be rendered at 512×512 and 1024×1024 resolution.

Can you explain what that means to current users of photoreal textures such as Orbx True Earth or PC Aviator MegaScenery products?

 

Very simple : 1024 = 1m / pixel

So a PR scenery that is compiled in 1mp is now able to show that in 1mp and not 2mp like up to now.

However, the 512 = 2m / pixel can be choosen too and has been improved too into the distance..

  • Upvote 1

Gerard

7940x ( 14 cores ) : 8 cores @ 4.8 - 6 cores @ 4.0 Ghz - Gigabyte X299 Gaming 7 - 32 Gb G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz Cl 14 - Gigabyte GTX 2080 TI Windforce OC @1920 Mhz - 1x SSD M2 1800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 43” Sony 4K tv's in NVSurround

8700K : all 6 cores @ 5.0 GHz - Asus ROG 370 - 16 Gb 4000 MHz @ 3600 Mhz - Gigabyte GTX 2080 Windforce OC @ 1900 Mhz - 1x SSD M2 1800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - 1x 55” Sony 4K tv

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

 

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Very simple : 1024 = 1m / pixel

So a PR scenery that is compiled in 1mp is now able to show that in 1mp and not 2mp like up to now.

However, the 512 = 2m / pixel can be choosen too and has been improved too into the distance..

So from a user benefit perspective, does this mean that photoreal scenery will be more clear and crisp? Also, default resolution for FSX/P3D has been 1m/pixel. Did the 1m per pixel only relate to scenery tiles? Last question, do photoscenery developers have to make any changes to their products in order to show the 1m/pixel resolution?

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, MikeT707 said:

So from a user benefit perspective, does this mean that photoreal scenery will be more clear and crisp? Also, default resolution for FSX/P3D has been 1m/pixel. Did the 1m per pixel only relate to scenery tiles? Last question, do photoscenery developers have to make any changes to their products in order to show the 1m/pixel resolution?

PR tiles were downgraded to 512 and therefore people have been mentioning less sharp PR scevery with V4.

Now we are back to where we were ....


Gerard

7940x ( 14 cores ) : 8 cores @ 4.8 - 6 cores @ 4.0 Ghz - Gigabyte X299 Gaming 7 - 32 Gb G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz Cl 14 - Gigabyte GTX 2080 TI Windforce OC @1920 Mhz - 1x SSD M2 1800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 43” Sony 4K tv's in NVSurround

8700K : all 6 cores @ 5.0 GHz - Asus ROG 370 - 16 Gb 4000 MHz @ 3600 Mhz - Gigabyte GTX 2080 Windforce OC @ 1900 Mhz - 1x SSD M2 1800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - 1x 55” Sony 4K tv

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

 

Share this post


Link to post

I suspect that V5 and V6 will have a great deal of immersion related improvements.

 


Dave-Aerosoft-Signature-Banner-2019.png

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    17%
    $4,475.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...