scottb613

IFR Certification and Annunciator Panels

Recommended Posts

Hi Mark,

Not sure if this is something that warrants your attention - is desired - or is appropriate in the BizJet world - in GA - in order to have a GPS certified for IFR operation - the GPS needs to be so many inches (I believe it's 13.5") from the center of your six pack - typically the AI and HSI/DG... If you are not within that range - as the Falcon most definitely is not - you are required to have an approved GPS annunciator on the panel within this range or you "technically" can't use the GPS for IFR operations...

Jean-Luc just gave me a heads up on a couple of additional gauges he includes with his version of the GTN/GNS - that you might want to take a gander at and see if there's room on the panels to fit them in ? They're representations of real Mid Continent gauges... They're small - so if you want to include them they don't take up much space... He also has a GPWS gauge included as well...

Just food for thought - granted - might need a mesh change...

 

RXP Mid Continent MD41-1484W Annunciator Control Unit
RXP Mid Continent MD41-1028 TAWS CONTROL UNIT

MD41-1484W_1-B.jpg?fv=2C6A1A9BF89CEAB116MD41-1028_1-B.jpg

 

Regards,
Scott 

 

Edited by scottb613
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yes, the RXP GTN750 is a very nice unit for sure. I have just started to learn about it. Scott, I know you have been using it for awhile. Can the Annunciator Control Unit be used as a 2D popup?

Al

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Al,

Yeah - I've been using the RXP products in multiple aircraft for a bit - Jean-Luc made a real time - convenient - in the sim installer - where the end user can swap out the F1 version with the RXP version... Works with the GNS as well... Most of my Carenado/Alabeo craft have been using RXP for ages...

The one caveat to just the RXP installer - is you have to open the popup to get access to the Control Knob - DTO Button - or Home Button - as it's really a bezel-less gauge... That said - RyanATC I believe made the gauges for these same function - so with a bit of panel work - you can get it working 100%... This is all from the user perspective - Mark (a developer) should have everything he needs at his finger tips via an SDK provided by RXP - as was probably utilized in the Falcon...

As for the two new gauges listed here - I would assume you should be able to create a pop-up - the same way you could with most any gauge... Back in the 2D panel days - I used to swap all my gauges out for the RXP products - did a bunch of panel mods... I have no experience with these two new gauges myself - though - and I won't get a chance to poke around until the weekend...

Personally - I prefer the RXP gauges in my sim... I've been a customer of RXP from their earliest days and I've always been very satisfied with their products... Another huge advantage - is RXP is just a click away if we need help or answers...

Regards,
Scott

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Scott,

I tried to install the RXP GTN750 into the Lear35 panel using the RXP autoinstaller that replaces the existing GPS (Flight1 750 in this case) but end of with two bezels, two control knobs, two memory cards,etc.  I tried playing with some of the parameters in the panel.cfg  [VC36] entry, and with the custom size option in the RXP installer, but still end up with two bezels. What happens is the RXP unit with bezel replaces just the Flight1 screen area.

Al

Edited by ark

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, ark said:

Hi Scott,

I tried to install the RXP GTN750 into the Lear35 panel using the RXP autoinstaller that replaces the existing GPS (Flight1 750 in this case) but end of with two bezels, two control knobs, two memory cards,etc.  I tried playing with some of the parameters in the panel.cfg  [VC36] entry, and with the custom size option in the RXP installer, but still end up with two bezels.

Al

Hi Al,

Two bezels as one inside the other ? Yeah - I think that’s what I was referring to - I’m on the train - but there should be some option on the RXP installer to select “no bezel” - IIRC - I’m almost sure of it...

Mark already made the bezel and knobs in 3D mesh - so neither the F1 nor the RXP gauges can use the gauge with the bezel... That’s for 2D installs or popups... They both include a second gauge without the bezel selectable via their installers for 3D installs...

After Mark setup the F1 GTN - without bezel - he then had to go in and add more F1 gauges for the Buttons and Knobs so they work...

At least that’s my understanding of it...

Regards,

Scott

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Al,

Also RXP backs up your panel.cfg so you can revert to original if you need it...

Regards,

Scott

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Mark,

Not sure if this is something that warrants your attention - is desired - or is appropriate in the BizJet world - in GA - in order to have a GPS certified for IFR operation - the GPS needs to be so many inches (I believe it's 13.5") from the center of your six pack - typically the AI and HSI/DG... If you are not within that range - as the Falcon most definitely is not - you are required to have an approved GPS annunciator on the panel within this range or you "technically" can't use the GPS for IFR operations...

Jean-Luc just gave me a heads up on a couple of additional gauges he includes with his version of the GTN/GNS - that you might want to take a gander at and see if there's room on the panels to fit them in ? They're representations of real Mid Continent gauges... They're small - so if you want to include them they don't take up much space... He also has a GPWS gauge included as well...

Just food for thought - granted - might need a mesh change...

 

RXP Mid Continent MD41-1484W Annunciator Control Unit
RXP Mid Continent MD41-1028 TAWS CONTROL UNIT

MD41-1484W_1-B.jpg?fv=2C6A1A9BF89CEAB116MD41-1028_1-B.jpg

 

Regards,
Scott 

 

Hi Scott:

Is this just a stupid question but how about relocating the GTN to the real estate occupied by the radar, and relocate the radar display to the center console?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

@ark When you open the genuine Reality XP GTN 750/650 Touch GUI Panel Assistant, and you select to replace existing gauges on the panel, you may opt to keep the same size, use the same width (it automatically keep gauge height ratio then), or use custom dimensions.

In addition, when the gauge is in a VC entry, there is an additional 'No Bezel' option you can select to tell this instance draws the screen only.

Do you see this option?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, Wink207 said:

Hi Scott:

Is this just a stupid question but how about relocating the GTN to the real estate occupied by the radar, and relocate the radar display to the center console?

Hi...

No such thing as a stupid question for me - certainly worth consideration - but not one I can answer - that would be up Mark...

I’m assuming Mark might have thought that in the real aircraft - the spot he chose for the GPS units is the same spot the FMC’s occupies - so it’s not a major leap to swap one navigation instrument for another... 

What’s different when flying with a Garmin GPS - is you want to be sure the GPS is working properly - has a good fix - and it switches modes during appropriate phases of flight... You centainly don’t want to be looking down at the center console while flying in IMC for this information...

That said - while the panel may be the better location because it’s in our peripheral vision and used far more than the Radar - please keep in mind the MASSIVE amount of work you’re asking Mark to perform - due to the numerous configurations his aircraft to support - it’s no small task to rip the entire VC apart...

Just my two cents...

Regards,

Scott

Share this post


Link to post

It was pointed out in another thread here that there are some real world Falcon50s ( and also Lear35s) out there with dual GPS units just like in our FSW Falcon 50. I really doubt FSW is going to tear the panel and center console apart at this stage to relocate things.

Al

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, RXP said:

@ark When you open the genuine Reality XP GTN 750/650 Touch GUI Panel Assistant, and you select to replace existing gauges on the panel, you may opt to keep the same size, use the same width (it automatically keep gauge height ratio then), or use custom dimensions.

In addition, when the gauge is in a VC entry, there is an additional 'No Bezel' option you can select to tell this instance draws the screen only.

Do you see this option?

Hi Jean-Luc,

Yes, I did use the sizing options when replacing the existing GPS with the RXP GTN750. What I then had to do was go into the Reality.GTN.ini file and edit it to set nobezel = true. Is there some other way to turn off the bezel option?

BTW, when sizing the popup by clicking on its top edge while holding down the shift key, I clicked a second time in an attempt to return to the previous size.  But instead of that what I got was a HUGE popup so large I could no longer see the top edge of the GTN750.  I had to reload the a/c. Is there a way to go back to a previous popup size?  Also, is there a way to save the popup size or do you have to resize it each time the a/c is loaded into the sim.

Thx very much for the help,

Al

Edited by ark

Share this post


Link to post

@ark In addition, when the gauge is in a VC entry, there is an additional 'No Bezel' option (below the field to set the size). Do you see this option?

Enabling this option creates / updates the RealityXP.GTN.ini file automatically for you, but it is fine otherwise doing it manually.

Just let me know if this works as intended on your system to make sure whether it is a bug in the panel assistant or user error.

For the SHIFT+click please makes sure to read User's Manual p5 (and the other pages for other features / questions!)

As for saving the popup window position, no it is not possible in FltSim (it is not a feature supported by the SDK). However, it is possible in our X-Plane version (it does so automatically).

 

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, RXP said:

@ark In addition, when the gauge is in a VC entry, there is an additional 'No Bezel' option (below the field to set the size). Do you see this option?

Enabling this option creates / updates the RealityXP.GTN.ini file automatically for you, but it is fine otherwise doing it manually.

Just let me know if this works as intended on your system to make sure whether it is a bug in the panel assistant or user error.

For the SHIFT+click please makes sure to read User's Manual p5 (and the other pages for other features / questions!)

As for saving the popup window position, no it is not possible in FltSim (it is not a feature supported by the SDK). However, it is possible in our X-Plane version (it does so automatically).

 

Jean-Luc,

I now see the bezel option. Apparently I didn't realize I could scroll the window down any further so didn't see the bezel option before. So operator error.  ☹️

I had read pg 5 regarding resizing the popup. My point is that after holding  shift and left clicking once, I then tried to go back to the original popup size by holding shift and left clicking again.That's when I got the HUGE popup. It was so big that I could not see the top of the GTN. I think there should be a convenient way to go back to the previous size if you don't like the 'new' size. Perhaps there is a way to do this but I haven't found it yet.

I really like the RXP GTN 750!

Regards,

Al

Share this post


Link to post

@ark ok I see. By default, the SHIFT + click left toggles between 2X and 1X size.

The native screen pixel size is documented here:

You can override the 'reference size' (the X) in adding a refsize= setting in a 'rendering' section of the ReailtyXP.GTN.ini

This section typically looks like:
[GTN_750_1.DEFAULT]
; show screen only gauge if true.
nobezel = false
; screen only border size (pixels).
border.size = 0
; screen only border color (#RGB or #RGBA).
border.rgba = #000000
; display mouse tooltips if true.
tooltips = false
; enable mouse clickspots if true, disable if false.
usemouse = true
; auto-resize dimension (width,height)
refsize =

; left mouse button on the screen toggles popup window by ident (ex: GPS_PANEL or 225) (requires SHIFT+left mouse button).
popleft =
; right mouse button on the screen toggles popup window by ident (ex: GPS_PANEL or 225).
popright =
; enable touch beyond screen bounds if true (2D only), clip if false (GTN native).
extendtouch = true
; enable alternate click-spots (left CCW, right CW, middle Push) if true.
usealtmouse = false
; adjust brightness (0 to 100)
brightness.bezel = 100
; offset brightness (-100 to +100)
brightness.screen = 0

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now