Sign in to follow this  
Branimir

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error: Is there a solution?

3 hours ago, Aweless said:

Joe there is a misunderstanding to be cleared.

To summarize my solution

1: As long as i kept my gpu clocks locked i had no dxgi error at all.

2: All i wanted to find what sort of solution i could figure rather than locking the gpu clocks not to get the DXGI so i managed this by leaving power management up to windows by doing some extra changings in bios so this is why i dig in here.

3: I should mention this additionally: in your terms before i enable the PCIE power saving feature i seen that the gpu clocks were going down to 139 MHZ on default clocks while on idle even though nvidia profile was set to prefer high performance. After enabling the PCI Express Native power management in combination with Native Active power management which lets the windows interfere to regulate the power drawing in GPU and then i seen that the gpu clocks kept remaining around 900 MHZ on default clocks while on idle even though nvidia profile set to default in global. And yes this sound way more ironic and yes i think there are some conflicts in between bios windows ncp etc who know what else trying to take the control… I guess being able to lock Gpu clocks that easy is something special to pascal cards.

4: To clear one thing that misunderstood: Enabling PCIE ASPM has nothing to do with CPU interaction. Thats something i discovered later on after i figured something must be done to reduce power drawing from the psu. To let the windows manage cpu clocks there are a few modes in my bios that i had to dig in these modes: EPU, PERFORMANCE, Max Power saving and AUTO Cpu C states and intel SpeedStep i don't exactly remember what i changed in my bios i may also have changed c states to auto or SpeedStep to Auto to let the windows take the control of cpu speeds. Here are a few screen shots to my current bios configuration to make the windows to control the cpu speeds it must look like this: 

32512214838_1c7c4db5a6_b.jpg

32512214658_78967ea532_b.jpg

32512214558_509541fe23_b.jpg

But i think it won't make much difference no matter i keep the cpu working @4ghz. Balanced power plan has just became my preference to avoid in case if the psu feeds insufficient power to the system or a faulty gpu wants to draw much more power from the psu at times. these are my assumptions so i go balanced that the system could stabilize it self by reducing the frequencies as needed, just a precaution. I had to perform at least one action of two options not to get dxgi, 1: Lock Gpu clocks. 2: Enable Pcie power management feature in bios and leave the gpu clocks alone. But now i use two options together both locked gpu and enabled pcie aspm also balanced power plan enabled in windows and works good and i haven't seen any fps drop in simulator comparing the previous setups. 

I hope i could clear the questions in your head.

All the best.

Thanks that clears it up for me. I hope the error never comes back and perhaps others can leverage the findings you have presented! Ironically I have never had this issue but my friends have.

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

20 hours ago, Aweless said:

I got your point, to me The relationship between gpu clock speed is to the idea that i got from Joe's earlier post is when the gpu clocks going up and down it accumulates some stress on the gpu by requesting a different power level each time. There are two things to eliminate in this case, one a faulty psu that can't feed the requested power frequencies to the gpu properly, resulting in gpu to reset and disconnect from the simulator  i wish the p3d could by pass this kind of resetting and keep running as well just like in Linux systems.Well maybe in future. second a faulty gpu that requests excessively unachievable frequencies at its peak so this also leads the gpu to reset and disconnects from the sim. In my case maybe i got a faulty gpu but somehow locking the gpu clocks fixes the unachievable frequency requests so it keeps working more stable. I will know this when i add a secondary psu to my system. But let's say the psu is ok, in this case considering the gpu is faulty in terms of p3d when everything else working great its completely up to one's own wish. Maybe we shouldn't compare p3d with other games neither any other benchmark tools. If it is up to me i can live without p3d too quit the sim and consider my gpu isn't faulty. But i already consider my self won this battle against this error besides with a faulty hardware long time ago by doing some cheap tricks. I think i m done with this thread and i hope anyone who deal with this error can come up with positive results in short time. Thanks to everyone who tried to help and shared their experiences their ideas you are such a great community.

Good luck! 

Aweless I think you are really onto something here but the clues have been hidden earlier in this thread by others too.

I focused on power settings today.

This did not work:

• bios set to "load optimised" defaults cancelling out all my cpu overclock.
  • reducing the CPU clock to reduce load on the PSU and therefore reduce the chance that PSU is a cause.

Unsure whether it works or not:

• change power plan from high performance to balanced. I set it to balanced I thought, did my tests and did not get a DEVICE HUNG then went back to find that the setting was still on high performance anyway for some reason.

Reasonably sure this worked:

• turned off global prefer maximum power in nvidia control panel
  • turned on prefer maximum power only for Prepar3D.exe and left global setting on optimal power

It is totally obvious and can't believe I didn't do this before.

My oculus VR software is running on top of P3D when P3D doesn't have the focus because the VR virtual desktop displays the desktop with the 2D P3D window in it.

So with global maximum power both oculus and P3D are fighting each other for maximum power when P3D doens't have the focus. But when P3D has the focus, the oculus VR is off because P3D has control of the VR drivers and so there is no fight over maximum power and no DEVICE HUNG.

That is why it was hanging when P3D didn't have the focus, because GPU software is fighting each other for maximum power.

But when I leave global as optimal, that is telling the oculus VR that it is to use optimal power only, and I set a profile for P3D for maximum power, there is no fight for maximum power.

Doing this has allowed me to default the GPU settings and so have not had a single crash even with a core clock of 1920MHz.

This problem stems from a very old habit I have to just use global settings for nvidia control panel because I do not use the computer for anything but flightsim and so assume that global is ok - but it is not.

But there is still more testing to do but the logic behind the device hung is now getting clearer in my mind.

Edited by glider1
  • Like 1

Always best to use the app specific profile, as I always mentioned throughout this thread, and default the global..

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Going back over it: If we use the app specific profile then we don't have to worry about forcing some setting on another app that does not want it.

If we set up the GPU to be unable to use the overclocked throttling up behaviour and this cures the problems then the overclock is too high.

Either of these conditions can run into trouble with certain sequences of data arriving at the card resulting in a failure to render an item with device hang condition.

There might be good news in windows10 1809 October update for those who facing the dxgi error . i am up to date today and there are noticeable improvements. You can also watch the the power usage per apps in task manager. I haven't performed a flight yet but i will do by rolling back any changes i made previously.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Aweless said:

There might be good news in windows10 1809 October update for those who facing the dxgi error

It's actually the 1809 Nov Update, Microsoft pushed this update out in Oct, it failed for many, withdrew it, and then pushed in out again in Dec.  1809 is NOT without problems still ... for example I operate several networked PC's and so far I've had to do a "Network Reset" in order for Explorer to be able to see my networked PC ... I have to do that after ANY Windows Updates related to 1809.  It's apparently a known issue that Microsoft "might" address in the future.

Why this is a problem for me is that I run three computers, one main FS computer, one network computer for weather, and one for flight planning/tracking ... When installing HiFi AS4 is wants a path to my main FS computer and "mapped" drives do NOT show in the dialog, only Network paths will work and my main FS computer wasn't showing up (yes network discover was on and running).

Soooo ... after many hours of diagnostics, checking services, etc. etc. the ONLY solution for me was to run "Network Reset" on all my PCs running 1809 after ANY Windows Update that is related to any core elements of 1809.

Cheers, Rob.

38 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

It's actually the 1809 Nov Update, Microsoft pushed this update out in Oct, it failed for many, withdrew it, and then pushed in out again in Dec.  1809 is NOT without problems still ... for example I operate several networked PC's and so far I've had to do a "Network Reset" in order for Explorer to be able to see my networked PC ... I have to do that after ANY Windows Updates related to 1809.  It's apparently a known issue that Microsoft "might" address in the future.

Why this is a problem for me is that I run three computers, one main FS computer, one network computer for weather, and one for flight planning/tracking ... When installing HiFi AS4 is wants a path to my main FS computer and "mapped" drives do NOT show in the dialog, only Network paths will work and my main FS computer wasn't showing up (yes network discover was on and running).

Soooo ... after many hours of diagnostics, checking services, etc. etc. the ONLY solution for me was to run "Network Reset" on all my PCs running 1809 after ANY Windows Update that is related to any core elements of 1809.

Cheers, Rob.

Yes i know the story Rob. it's been reported by some users that the October update had deleted user files at first release and then Microsoft cancelled the update.

It looks like one of my nightmare bug has gone after updating to 1809. I was getting some stuttering on the desktop on idle at times before the update and this is what made me think my gpu could be faulty.

i Assume for your issue you may have to wait network driver updates for the new 1809 build for all your pc's that running on the network.

I would suggest you to look for new driver updates via an app as driver easy for your network adapters if you haven't done something similar to this so. If your secondary network pc's are older then your issue may have something to do with incompatible network hardware too.

Have you ever tried running only two computers on the network and run your both weather app and flight planning app in one computer?

3 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

It's apparently a known issue that Microsoft "might" address in the future.

Says it all really. Under the circumstances Rob’s restraint is really quite commendable. 1809 has not yet been ‘offered’ to me but, rest assured, I will do everything I can to resist this installation until MS have convinced me they actually do care about ensuring the quality of such releases before foisting them on their end users. In the early days of software development and evolving expertise such lapses could be excused. Can the same be said now?

Luckily I don’t have to depend on Windows 10 for everyday use.

Mike

Just following up on my previous posts about my RMA to Gigabyte for this problem. They just notified me that the card is being replaced under warranty. And, just for the record, I run Win7 so this problem is not solely related to the OS version you use.

Happy Holidays!

P.

• Like 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

31 minutes ago, pgde said:

Just following up on my previous posts about my RMA to Gigabyte for this problem. They just notified me that the card is being replaced under warranty. And, just for the record, I run Win7 so this problem is not solely related to the OS version you use.

Happy Holidays!

P.

In new motherboards it might be related to the OS with modern hardware gpu cpu etc. And it is another story being able to install win 7 in new motherboards whatever you do despite new mobo allows win 7 installation you are facing some troubles during install and after install. 

2 hours ago, Aweless said:

And it is another story being able to install win 7 in new motherboards whatever you do despite new mobo allows win 7 installation you are facing some troubles during install and after install. 

I hope I didn’t imply that that was likely to be a sensible or, indeed, rational option. Nor do I believe that the subject of this thread was influenced by the choice of operating system. From where I stand I am content with what I have while, at the same time, having the luxury of exploring what Windows 10 may have to offer me in, say, a year or so. By that time, hopefully these issues will mostly be sorted out and I can think about transfering my allegiance. Meantime I’m in no hurry as W10 offers me nothing I don’t have already in abundance.

Mike

Edited by Cruachan

1 hour ago, Cruachan said:

I hope I didn’t imply that that was likely to be a sensible or, indeed, rational option. Nor do I believe that the subject of this thread was influenced by the choice of operating system. From where I stand I am content with what I have while, at the same time, having the luxury of exploring what Windows 10 may have to offer me in, say, a year or so. By that time, hopefully these issues will mostly be sorted out and I can think about transfering my allegiance. Meantime I’m in no hurry as W10 offers me nothing I don’t have already in abundance.

Mike

Nope, And i really didn't say so neither to convince you nor anybody else to switch win10 my intention wasn't that and never will be and why should it be?  We are performing brain storm here and that's just amazing.  the subject of this thread wasn't influenced by the choice of operating system i just shared what i experienced by the intention of maybe that would be a beacon for someone else who suffering from what i suffer.

Regards.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, SteveW said:

Always best to use the app specific profile, as I always mentioned throughout this thread, and default the global..

Thanks Steve yes I agree with you but I didn't see the significance of what you are saying. The reason why it is mandatory to give a profile to P3D is that prefer maximum performance only handles the app that setting is registered to.

But that is a big problem the issue is not solved yet.

Say I create two profiles for two GPU apps that both need to run in a P3D session. This is the case with VR where both Oculus and P3D can both be using the driver at the same time when the virtual desktop is active.

But you innocently select "prefer maximum performance" for each profile.

Now you are back in the same problem as if you had put that setting only in the global settings.

Now both GPU's are being allocated maximum performance by the driver, but only the foreground app gets the maximum performance which can still hang the background app (P3D) even though you diligently set a profile for each GPU app.

Something needs to be done about that. The prefer maximum performance code needs to be rewritten by Nvidia or else P3D needs to be rewritten to handle cases when other apps are using the GPU as well as it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, glider1 said:

Something needs to be done about that. The prefer maximum performance code needs to be rewritten by Nvidia or else P3D needs to be rewritten to handle cases when other apps are using the GPU as well as it.

Normally that should work without problems. If certain sequences and systems settings or hardware problems cause the condition, the software can't deal with it.

11 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Says it all really. ..

Luckily I don’t have to depend on Windows 10 for everyday use.

Mike

Hi Mike, You shouldn't worry. I do depend on them and all my systems are up to date and indeed fully functional. However, to set up windows correctly is a commercial asset.

• Upvote 1