Bnash00

Windows 10 1803 or Greater No Screensaver

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone else out there has experienced an issue with Windows 10 1803 or greater where if they have any type of joystick or game pad plugged into their computer the screensaver will not start. This issue first started with Windows 10 1803. This last weekend I nuked my entire computer and upgraded to Windows 10 1809 and installed Prepar3D v4.4 and all my addons. However I still cannot get the screensaver to start. If I unplug my joystick, rudder pedals, and gamepad the screensaver starts no problem. As soon as I plug them back in, no more screensaver. I just never starts after the allotted time period.

I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog joystick and throttle, Saitek rudder pedals and I also occasionally use an Xbox 360 game pad for PC. If any one of these devices are plugged in no screensaver. So far I have only found two solutions to this problem. 

1. Unplug all my devices after I'm done flying.

2. Roll back to Windows 10 1709. However this is no good because Windows 10 is so aggressive about automatically updating itself to the latest version. Windows 10 as a service has really worked well for Microsoft. Especially with the train wreck that is the Windows 10 1809 update. (I'm sure you all have read about the deleting of users documents, and the zip handling issues, and the Windows Media Player playback bar issue, and the Intel drivers issues ect... ect..)

Anyways I was just wondering if I'm the only guy experiencing this issue or if its more widespread.

Here is a breakdown of my hardware configuration in case it helps:

Intel Core i7 4960X @4.7GHz

Asus x79-Deluxe motherboard

16GB DDR3 RAM

Nvidia Titan X (Maxwell)

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog joystick and throttle

Saitek rudder pedals

xbox 360 game pad for PC

I've checked and installed the latest drivers for all devices. I have the latest chipset drivers installed for my motherboard. Any suggestions or recommendations are most welcome.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I think you'll find this is caused by Nvidia drivers and Nvidia Control centre not getting on with win 10. I noticed this awhile back  when using Asus Game tweaker, (came with my Asus GTX 1060 GPU) a program that closes a lot of background services so that any game (or Prepar3d) runs better (I found that it does), part of the services closed include most nvidia services that run in the back ground, the Nvidia driver is not affected. To clarify, If I start Win 10 and don't run the Asus Game tweaker my screensaver and power saving/sleep mode  does not kick in, the PC screen just stays in a ready state, however, if I run the Tweaker and not play any games or run Prepar3d, or when I've completed playing them, exiting to desktop, the screensaver and power saving/sleep mode is initiated as per my settings -  because the background services have not been re-started. I gave up trying to get them all to work in harmony.

Edited by JustanotherPilot

Interesting. I did see a few posts over on Microsoft forums where people were saying the Nvidia "Game Overlay" that comes with Nvidia Geforce Experience application was causing the screensaver to not start. The solution was to disable the Game Overylay. I've done this but still no screen saver. 

I will try to manually stop all Nvidia services and/or programs running in the background to see if that is the cause of my problem. I will report back.

Thank you for taking time to reply to my post. 

I've been having the same problem for a couple of weeks or so too.

I suspect it has something to do with the nvidia overlay as well. About the same time I started using it the problem started.

justanotherpilot: I guess the Asus Game tweaker is a card-specific utility then?

I'm just selecting the 'Sleep' setting when I walk away from the computer till I can find a solution. I've checked the "powercfg" reports and don't see any wake requests. A while ago I found that the Chrome browser would keep my computer awake if I had any paused Youtube videos open. 

Such a pain...just work, please 😕

6 hours ago, JustanotherPilot said:

Not sure, you could try it and see,  https://www.asus.com/us/site/graphics-cards/gpu-tweak-ii/

Hi All,

I manually stopped all NVIDIA windows services and killed all NVIDIA background applications. Still no screen saver. JustanotherPilot, I'm going to try the Asus Game Tweak tool, and see if it helps.

I found this thread on a Microsoft Forum: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/screensaver-and-sleep-mode-not-working-with-game/32299fb3-55ab-45b5-9813-48a9bfeda6cf

Lots of people with the same problem. Looks like a Microsoft bug to me. 

I'm not going to give up on this issue. If I have to write a powershell script to disable/enable my USB joystick, rudder pedals, and game pad, I will.

Hi Vortex,

I will humor you. First off I tend to be a little OCD about this kind of stuff. It really bugs me that I've had to deal with this Windows bug for over a year now. My computer runs 24x7\365. I used to be able to just walk away from my computer, after 30 minutes the screensaver would come on, when I return, I would move the mouse and my workstation would be locked. After an hour Windows would turn off the display which doesn't happen either as long as my joysticks are plugged in. Ever since this bug appeared my computer just sits logged in forever. Granted I could hit the Windows Key + L to lock my workstation and I could press the power button on my display but I don't always remember to do so and I shouldn't have to either. This basic functionality has been built into Windows since Windows 3.1. This issue might seem trivial but it bugs the cr@p out of me. So I'm going to fix it.

I've already written a very simple powershell script which disables my Thrustmaster HOTAS joystick and throttle, Saitek rudder pedals, and xbox 360 game pad. When these devices are disabled the screensaver works as expected and my display turns off as expected. I want to add some logic so whenever I start P3D my devices automatically enable, and when I close P3D they automatically disable. I'm almost finished with it.

I'm convinced this is a Microsoft bug. I'm sure it ranks very low on their list, I'm not even sure it's on their list. I also look at this problem as an opportunity to work with powershell. I want to see if I can produce a solution to work around this problem as sort of personal challenge. 

14 hours ago, Bnash00 said:

I'm convinced this is a Microsoft bug.

I don't use a screensaver (for the reasons listed in the link in my previous post) but I have Windows set to turn of the display after 20 minutes. That said, I've just checked both the screensaver and the "display off" setting and both function normally with my MS FFB2 joystick and my Thrustmaster wheel plugged in (Windows 10, v1809) so it doesn't appear to be a Windows bug. It also doesn't appear to be a problem with the Nvidia drivers or Nvidia Control Panel, as suggested by JustanotherPilot, unless it's related to a particular driver. Perhaps it's something specific to your joystick or its drivers?

Edited by vortex681