Jump to content

avi8tir

Seen some positive things recently.... time for a new build?

Recommended Posts

Seems like its an every few month question for me.... is it time to build a new system? With good results from the i9-9900k and the RTX2080TI, I am starting to think about it again. 

P3D is my main focus. I also do other gaming but I would build a system geared toward P3D. 

Power supply and HDD would carry over. Would plan on getting a new case. 

Budget is around $3k max but ideally closer to $2k. 

Would a new build be worth it? 

Current setup:

i7 6700k 4.5 Ghz OC

GTX 1080

Asus Z170 Deluxe

64GB 3200 mhz

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, avi8tir said:

Seems like its an every few month question for me.... is it time to build a new system? With good results from the i9-9900k and the RTX2080TI, I am starting to think about it again. 

P3D is my main focus. I also do other gaming but I would build a system geared toward P3D. 

Power supply and HDD would carry over. Would plan on getting a new case. 

Budget is around $3k max but ideally closer to $2k. 

Would a new build be worth it? 

Current setup:

i7 6700k 4.5 Ghz OC

GTX 1080

Asus Z170 Deluxe

64GB 3200 mhz

I have the exact same set up as you with a 32inch 4K gsync monitor.  I’m going to plug in a 2080 Ti next week and see where it gets me.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, avi8tir said:

Seems like its an every few month question for me.... is it time to build a new system? With good results from the i9-9900k and the RTX2080TI, I am starting to think about it again. 

P3D is my main focus. I also do other gaming but I would build a system geared toward P3D. 

Power supply and HDD would carry over. Would plan on getting a new case. 

Budget is around $3k max but ideally closer to $2k. 

Would a new build be worth it? 

Current setup:

i7 6700k 4.5 Ghz OC

GTX 1080

Asus Z170 Deluxe

64GB 3200 mhz

I went from a 7700k, 1080ti SLI to a 9700k, 2080ti and feel the upgrade was beneficial.  Do not waste money on the 9900k.  Go with a 9600k or 9700k.  If u fly in very complex scenery go for the 9700k.  The extra two cores will help with scenery loading.

Share this post


Link to post

I would get the 9900K. I would not waste money on old technology such as a 9700K, especially if you plan on getting a 2080ti. Read the reviews.

My new build has a 9900K matched up with a 2080ti and it really is amazing!

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Pugilist2 said:

I would get the 9900K. I would not waste money on old technology such as a 9700K, especially if you plan on getting a 2080ti. Read the reviews.

My new build has a 9900K matched up with a 2080ti and it really is amazing!

9700K old technology??  I’d love to hear your reasoning on that claim.

Share this post


Link to post

If I see correctly, the price difference between the two is a little over 100 bucks. If you have enough money to spend on 2080TI and 9700K, I doubt you'll have troubles for another 100 bucks. It's little faster, and has more L3 cache. I see no reason for getting 9700K.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, SimonC said:

If I see correctly, the price difference between the two is a little over 100 bucks. If you have enough money to spend on 2080TI and 9700K, I doubt you'll have troubles for another 100 bucks. It's little faster, and has more L3 cache. I see no reason for getting 9700K.

$150 difference on NewEgg.  I believe that most users will disable HT for a max overclock.  Would like to hear opinions on this.  I don’t see the L3 cache amounting to anything measurable in P3D.  If u have unlimited funds ya go for the 9900K.  But if u don’t I would invest in faster memory.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

But if u don’t I would invest in faster memory.

Well, since we are nitpicking, I'd bet that 100Mhz more on the 9900K will yield more FPS than $150 faster memory.

Edited by SimonC

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, SimonC said:

Well, I'd bet that 100Mhz more on the 9900K will yield more FPS than $150 faster memory.

The are way to many variables in that statement to say what the FPS improvements would be.  Not saying u are wrong but it all depends if u get a good chip or not.  I tested the 9600K at 4.9ghz and the 9700K at 5.0ghz.  The only reason I went with the 9700K in the end was the smoother scenery loading.  The cores in the 9600K would see 100% usage spikes in complex scenery.  I have yet to see that issue with the 9700K.  I saw no measurable difference in FPS between the two chips.  If that extra $150 is worth maybe 0-2 FPS then go for it.

Share this post


Link to post

0-2 FPS on how high the FPS? 10, 100, 200? To be precise one would have to talk percentage really.

I only wanted to point out that $150 more on the memory means most likely 0, and I really mean zero improvement on anything. While CPU will most likely see (little) improvement, of course only if you manage to max it out. I have a 6700K still, so I have no problems maxing out the CPU, but I can't imagine that you can't max out 9900K.

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, SimonC said:

0-2 FPS on how high the FPS? 10, 100, 200? To be precise one would have to talk percentage really.

I only wanted to point out that $150 more on the memory means most likely 0, and I really mean zero improvement on anything. While CPU will most likely see (little) improvement, of course only if you manage to max it out. I have a 6700K still, so I have no problems maxing out the CPU, but I can't imagine that you can't max out 9900K.

0-2 frames when limited to 30 FPS.  Memory speed does help.  It is noticeable to me anyways.  I do understand your point but I’m looking at it from a value standpoint.  I would bet if u had a good 9600K it would offer almost identical performance to the 9900K in P3D.  I bought my 9600K for $230.  A 9900K cost $550.

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

 I bought my 9600K for $230.  A 9900K cost $550.

I thought we are talking about 9700K? In any case, I wasn't talking value, but rather high performance. And it's a common thing that the last few ounces of performance usually cost overproportionally more.

And since the budget is $3000, ideally about $2000, I think the decision comes down at what you want to pay and is it worth to you.

And one another thing: if he doesn't need 64GB of RAM for something else, it's really not necessary to go above 32GB. Save money on that. Or get a mainboard with only features that you need.

Edited by SimonC

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, SimonC said:

I thought we are talking about 9700K? In any case, I wasn't talking value, but rather high performance. And it's a common thing that the last few ounces of performance usually cost overproportionally more.

And since the budget is $3000, ideally about $2000, I think the decision comes down at what you want to pay and is it worth to you.

And one another thing: if he doesn't need 64GB of RAM for something else, it's really not necessary to go above 32GB. Save money on that. Or get a mainboard with only features that you need.

I commented on the 9600K just to put into perspective that a cpu at almost half the price of a 9900K would offer near the same performance IMO.  Just throwing that out there in case it might be beneficial to someone on a more strict budget. That is assuming u had to disable HT to reach a good over clock on the 9900K.  My 7700K with HT enabled did result in faster texture loading.  But from my experience with the 9700K I'm thinking the 9900K with HT enabled would reach its thermal limits before u reach an acceptable over clock.  I agree that 64GB of ram is overkill unless like u said he is running other applications that require it.  32GB is a good number that should also cover XP11 with Ortho. 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like a 9900k and 2080ti are the ticket.  Is there anything on the horizon that would make it worth waiting another 3-6 months?

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, avi8tir said:

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like a 9900k and 2080ti are the ticket.  Is there anything on the horizon that would make it worth waiting another 3-6 months?

AMD Zen 2 and Intel 10nm.  Hard to say what they will offer though.  Almost forgot to mention Intel HK chips.  Current chips without integrated graphics.

Edited by mpw8679

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, avi8tir said:

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like a 9900k and 2080ti are the ticket.  Is there anything on the horizon that would make it worth waiting another 3-6 months?

Depends if you have the budget required and the time to get it up and running..  :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post

Ok.. here is the build I am planning on doing. Any thoughts? I am sticking with the brands that I have had on my last few builds.... I have never had an issue with Asus / Corsair so I am staying loyal. 

My only area that I couldn't make up my mind is the motherboard... there are so many options these days. Again, I want to stick with Asus. 

Any thoughts on this? This puts me right at $3k, which I am fine with. Will carry over my 2TB Samsung M.2

 

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jxqWdX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jxqWdX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3333 Memory  
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Dual OC Video Card   
Case: Corsair - Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  
Total: $2916.35
 

Edited by avi8tir

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/24/2018 at 5:45 PM, mpw8679 said:

But from my experience with the 9700K I'm thinking the 9900K with HT enabled would reach its thermal limits before u reach an acceptable over clock.

What is the acceptable over clock then? In my experience thoughtful use of HT and AM always outperforms in texture loading and fluidity those extra 100-200MHz you can get by disabling HT.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/24/2018 at 11:29 PM, avi8tir said:

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like a 9900k and 2080ti are the ticket.  Is there anything on the horizon that would make it worth waiting another 3-6 months?

Has the i7-8086K sold out? I have that locked at 5.0 Ghz, HT On and with VSync and T/Buff enabled fps is 60 when airborne and 30-40 at airports in glorious UHD.

If you can't get the 1080Ti then I suppose the 2080Ti is your best option but the price is outrageous.

Finally, I was warned away from Corsair ram and towards GSkill.

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

What is the acceptable over clock then? In my experience thoughtful use of HT and AM always outperforms in texture loading and fluidity those extra 100-200MHz you can get by disabling HT.

That is my exact experience with my 7700K.  HT enabled at 4.9ghz gave a better experience then no HT at 5.1.  My 9600K at 4.9 with just 6 physical cores gave equal performance but with improved texture loading over the HT enabled 7700K.  With the 9600K I would still experience occasional stutters in very complex scenery and weather due to the rendering cores spiking to 100%.  I finally ended up with a 9700K at 5.1ghz.  Great FPS, no stutters, and no blurries even when runnng FFTF at .01 in dense scenery.  Can the 9900K bring more to the table over the 9700K?  Hard to say till someone does a direct comparison.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/24/2018 at 11:29 PM, avi8tir said:

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like a 9900k and 2080ti are the ticket.  Is there anything on the horizon that would make it worth waiting another 3-6 months?

CES 2019 starts the 2nd week in January which could be worth keeping an eye on.

I'm looking at a new build too but for me the 9900k and 2080 Ti just can't justify their prices in terms of their performances against their predecessors. Especially for software like P3D.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, avi8tir said:

Ok.. here is the build I am planning on doing. Any thoughts? I am sticking with the brands that I have had on my last few builds.... I have never had an issue with Asus / Corsair so I am staying loyal. 

My only area that I couldn't make up my mind is the motherboard... there are so many options these days. Again, I want to stick with Asus. 

Any thoughts on this? This puts me right at $3k, which I am fine with. Will carry over my 2TB Samsung M.2

 

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jxqWdX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jxqWdX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3333 Memory  
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Dual OC Video Card   
Case: Corsair - Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  
Total: $2916.35
 

Looks good! You will be very happy.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Graeme2812 said:

CES 2019 starts the 2nd week in January which could be worth keeping an eye on.

 

good point... I'll at least wait till after CES to move forward. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...