Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

Seen some positive things recently.... time for a new build?

44 minutes ago, avi8tir said:

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like a 9900k and 2080ti are the ticket.  Is there anything on the horizon that would make it worth waiting another 3-6 months?

AMD Zen 2 and Intel 10nm.  Hard to say what they will offer though.  Almost forgot to mention Intel HK chips.  Current chips without integrated graphics.

Edited by mpw8679

Matt Wilson

49 minutes ago, avi8tir said:

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like a 9900k and 2080ti are the ticket.  Is there anything on the horizon that would make it worth waiting another 3-6 months?

Depends if you have the budget required and the time to get it up and running..  :unsure:

Bert

Ok.. here is the build I am planning on doing. Any thoughts? I am sticking with the brands that I have had on my last few builds.... I have never had an issue with Asus / Corsair so I am staying loyal. 

My only area that I couldn't make up my mind is the motherboard... there are so many options these days. Again, I want to stick with Asus. 

Any thoughts on this? This puts me right at $3k, which I am fine with. Will carry over my 2TB Samsung M.2

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jxqWdX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jxqWdX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3333 Memory  
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Dual OC Video Card   
Case: Corsair - Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  
Total: $2916.35

Edited by avi8tir

On 12/24/2018 at 5:45 PM, mpw8679 said:

But from my experience with the 9700K I'm thinking the 9900K with HT enabled would reach its thermal limits before u reach an acceptable over clock.

What is the acceptable over clock then? In my experience thoughtful use of HT and AM always outperforms in texture loading and fluidity those extra 100-200MHz you can get by disabling HT.

On 12/24/2018 at 11:29 PM, avi8tir said:

Has the i7-8086K sold out? I have that locked at 5.0 Ghz, HT On and with VSync and T/Buff enabled fps is 60 when airborne and 30-40 at airports in glorious UHD.

If you can't get the 1080Ti then I suppose the 2080Ti is your best option but the price is outrageous.

Finally, I was warned away from Corsair ram and towards GSkill.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

40 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

What is the acceptable over clock then? In my experience thoughtful use of HT and AM always outperforms in texture loading and fluidity those extra 100-200MHz you can get by disabling HT.

That is my exact experience with my 7700K.  HT enabled at 4.9ghz gave a better experience then no HT at 5.1.  My 9600K at 4.9 with just 6 physical cores gave equal performance but with improved texture loading over the HT enabled 7700K.  With the 9600K I would still experience occasional stutters in very complex scenery and weather due to the rendering cores spiking to 100%.  I finally ended up with a 9700K at 5.1ghz.  Great FPS, no stutters, and no blurries even when runnng FFTF at .01 in dense scenery.  Can the 9900K bring more to the table over the 9700K?  Hard to say till someone does a direct comparison.  

Matt Wilson

On 12/24/2018 at 11:29 PM, avi8tir said:

CES 2019 starts the 2nd week in January which could be worth keeping an eye on.

I'm looking at a new build too but for me the 9900k and 2080 Ti just can't justify their prices in terms of their performances against their predecessors. Especially for software like P3D.

8 hours ago, avi8tir said:

Ok.. here is the build I am planning on doing. Any thoughts? I am sticking with the brands that I have had on my last few builds.... I have never had an issue with Asus / Corsair so I am staying loyal. 

My only area that I couldn't make up my mind is the motherboard... there are so many options these days. Again, I want to stick with Asus. 

Any thoughts on this? This puts me right at $3k, which I am fine with. Will carry over my 2TB Samsung M.2

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jxqWdX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jxqWdX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3333 Memory  
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Dual OC Video Card   
Case: Corsair - Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  
Total: $2916.35

Looks good! You will be very happy.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

5 hours ago, Graeme2812 said:

CES 2019 starts the 2nd week in January which could be worth keeping an eye on.

good point... I'll at least wait till after CES to move forward.