Time to upgrade?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. If you had the choice to upgrade now or wait within the next six months, which would the sensible you do?

• Upgrade Now!
    • Watch how things develop in the next six months, then decide.

Simple opening question. If you had the choice to upgrade now or wait within the next six months, which would the sensible you do?

I haven't flown or had a PC capable of doing so since around 2005, so understandably things have moved on, a lot! The QW787 and Orbx has pulled me back after all those years on the peripheral. All i'm waiting for now is a decent A350. (A few years off, i know)

My last build (circa 2005) was a home build, but I'm not too keen on doing that again today as i'm sure things have gotten much harder since then. - Has it gotten much more difficult?

Briefly, I'm looking at an i9 9900K with a 2080 Ti, 32Gb (3000Mhz) RAM and SSD's to give you an idea of the spec. It'll be primarily run on a single monitor (1920 x 1080) at the moment but the hope for the future is for 2nd generation VR, plenty intensive addons, and an attempt at future proofing - hence the spec.

The Dilemma...

I can't help but feel (from what i'm reading) that the main bottleneck will be the current architecture of P3D v4 itself, and a spec like this won't be taken full advantage of as it would be with other games. - Am I reading the current situation wrong?

My (un)educated guess is that a processor with more cores/threads makes not a great difference as the current P3D version tends to utilise a single thread. (The PC will be used for other games) but the additional L3 cache would be an advantage. - Or was the core/thread issue a legacy issue in v3 and no longer an issue in v4?

At the same time, I've not reading much that is fantastic about the i9 9900K or the RTX series of cards either, given their prices. For example the i7 8700K performs very similarly to the i9 and a 1080 Ti very similarly to the RTX but the price variations are quite substantial here in the UK.

This is making me think that now really isn't' the best time to upgrade to this hardware given the current hardware prices for performance and the current situation with software (P3D v4)

I didn't want to say it, but I'm inclined to want to wait and see if a P3D v5 makes an appearance in 2019 and decide from there? Or certainly see where things are in six months – This is a big investment for me afterall.

What would you do?

2 hours ago, Graeme2812 said:

Simple opening question. If you had the choice to upgrade now or wait within the next six months, which would the sensible you do?

What would you do?

I'm not usually an advocate of waiting, unless there is something big just around the corner. Well in a sense, there is. Looks like AMD have a big offering arriving soon and Intel too. I would wait a bit longer. If it were the usual incremental increase in performance, I would wait, but many are thinking it will be more than that. 

https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/326-mobo-ram-cpu-hdd-ssd-desktops-laptops/

Edited by martin-w

I will also wait a bit longer.  Who knows about what the new P3Dv5 will requires, more cores ? more single thread speed ? For sure, if you are now buying the actual best technology, you will be prepared (ohh) for the future. 🙂

Mike

Edited by Mikelab6

There is no such thing as the "perfect time"..

If you enjoy flightsimming, get on with it.. if you enjoy watching the seasons, keep waiting...

Life is short!  :wink:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you enjoy flightsimming, get on with it.. if you enjoy watching the seasons, keep waiting...

For me it is about time in the air.  So what I really need is a replacement system that I can spend time installing, augmenting with add-ons. and tweaking for performance. All while I do that as I spurn relaxing on autopilot on longer flights on my current rather flawlessly operating late 2015 system......

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

CES in a few weeks you will get a better idea what round the corner for 2019.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

14 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

This would normally be my approach too, as there's always something new about to be released. You could end up waiting for ever.

However... if something other than the usual incremental increase in permanence is literally a few months away, seems like an illogical move to not wait. 

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

This would normally be my approach too, as there's always something new about to be released. You could end up waiting for ever.

However... if something other than the usual incremental increase in permanence is literally a few months away, seems like an illogical move to not wait. 

HO-HO-HO!

:biggrin:

Bert

Thanks for the replies folks. 

The analogy that springs to mind is like buying a brand new car now, and whilst it's new with some refreshed tweeks here and there, it's still effectively a model that's been out for a few years; with a new model due in the next year.

Good shout about CES too btw, thanks.

I figure i've waited this long, a few more months won't do any harm.

A new build should be treated like a whisky and not a beer! 😆

19 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

HO-HO-HO!

:biggrin:

Yep, well that's incontrovertible evidence then. Burt IS Father Christmas. Only Santa himself would utter those  immortal words. And we on Avsim would like to take the opportunity to thank you for all the wonderful work you do each year. All those children's faces that you bring a smile to. You climb down chimney's and clamber across rooftops, risking life and limb, to bring joy to the world. 

Thank you Santa... a.k.a. Burt Pieke! 🎅