Sign in to follow this  
Mikelab6

What could I expect in P3dv4 going to RTX2080 from GTX980

Hi all,

I am running a GTX980 and an i7-6700K, and I am looking to upgrade to a RTX2080. Does someone did that kind of upgrade with similar CPU ? What is the FPS gain range ?

Thanks !

Mike

Edited by Mikelab6

Not sure what you are expecting.. but when I upgraded my GPU from a 770 to a 1070, I did not really gain in fps (which in my experience is mainly CPU bound) but scenery loading became a lot smoother and the card could handle scenery complexity without choking (unlike my 770).. So I would expect generally smoother operation.

If someone has actually done what you are proposing, I would also be interested in their report!  :cool:

Bert

3 hours ago, Mikelab6 said:

Hi all,

I am running a GTX980 and an i7-6700K, and I am looking to upgrade to a RTX2080. Does someone did that kind of upgrade with similar CPU ? What is the FPS gain range ?

Thanks !

Mike

I went from a 980 to a 1080ti with a 7700K cpu.  It was a pretty healthy upgrade.  The 1080ti and 2080 are pretty similar performance wise.

Matt Wilson

2 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

The 1080ti and 2080 are pretty similar performance wise.

Whilst they are comparable in terms of performance don’t overlook the fact the 2080 only has 8Gb compared to the 11Gb of the 1080Ti. I’d still go for a 1080Ti until such time as ray tracing is used in P3D. But by then the 3000 series may be out.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
  • Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Well Mike.. I just went from a 980ti to a RTX2080(I was looking for a 1080ti but not luck on it so I jumped into the wagon of the RTX cards).I don't have P3DV4 but I use P3DV3 and I gained about 5 to 15 fps in every scenario. Now I can fly on sceneries that I used to have problems with(FSDT,Flightbeam) my current system at that time(980ti with a 3770k OC at 4.3 ghz). Scenery settings I use are DENSE but sometimes I can go to VERY DENSE and 2k resolution,no terrain shadows and when looking for a better performance I disable the cast and receive simobjects shadows(that one helps a lot) . So I guess it should do very well on P3DV4.4 since it looks like its very optimize. Im working on a new build and the RTX is coming to it so as soon as I finish it P3DV4.4 or even P3DV5 will come to it. Just in case I use a Gsync monitor 240mhz refresh rate. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the feedback !  That is giving me an idea…   I was also looking for a GTX 1080ti, but can't find any at good price, so for now my choice is toward the 2080. I know about the 8GB vs 11GB for the 1080ti, that why I was looking for the 1080ti.

Mike

• Like 1

On 12/26/2018 at 10:44 PM, Mikelab6 said:

I know about the 8GB vs 11GB for the 1080ti, that why I was looking for the 1080ti.

I just bought a RTX2080Ti which has 11GB.  Have not yet received.

1 hour ago, neil0311 said:

I just bought a RTX2080Ti which has 11GB.  Have not yet received.

Cool ! Post your results here once installed.  What CPU are you using ?

10 hours ago, Mikelab6 said:

What CPU are you using ?

It's going in a new system that I won't have up and running for a couple of weeks, but will have an i9-9900K with roughly a 5Ghz OC when up and running.  Will post some results once I have them.