Sign in to follow this  
lizwd

Fs9 on Windows 10 installation help

I'm trying to set up Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 (fs9) with Windows 10 (HP computer if it matters) and having issues. It didn't give me any problem to install, but it won't run. At one point it told me something about permissions, and I've tried right clicking and running as admin but still won't open at all. Any more suggestions to try? I'm totally new to this and fairly tech illiterate, so please dumb it down for me as much as possible. It's for my 12yo son who is eager to get started. 🙂

Lizwd,

Plus 1 from me to welcome you to this forum.

About two years ago, I was running FS2004 on Win10. Generally, I found that every windows update broke my FS2004 and never found out why (Iguess too many causes) I found that every update I was reinstalling FS2004.  AS a result of this continual frustration, I reverted to Win7 64bit Ultimate with no further problems.

If you are running two or more sims, I think that you may be well off having a dual boot system because P3Dv4 does not perform well, IMO, with Win 7.  It works but I have numerous problems with it and I think it is the OS which is the cause of most of my problems.

If you intend to stay with the FS9 platform, I would strongly recommend that you stay with Win7 OS.  and when you eventually upgrade to P3D (you will) then change to Win10.

Please bear in mind that others in this forum may disagree.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Welcome!  Google search fs9 not compatible with Windows 10.  The first site is a Microsoft site.  Read the explanations and follow them.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Flight Simulator 10 FSX IS compatible with W10 and pretty cheap to get hold of. STEAM sell the most recent version which is pretty cheap for what it is and also is often on sale. 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

I know this thread is a few months old, but I just happened to see it. So I dug out my fs9 discs and installed on my laptop. It has the latest W10. Fs9 runs fine. But you have to know how to get it to start. Pretty simple, actually. If lizwd already had fs9 and wasn't interested in something else, no reason to not use it.

I see this was their one and only post. Probably never came back.

• Like 1

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.