Ray Proudfoot

737NGX - are panels UHD standard

Recommended Posts

I'm interested in buying the 737NGX but having recently bought a new system and upgraded to a UHD monitor I was wondering if the panels would look okay on a UHD display. The only info I can find is the panels are HD quality but that was in a review on Mutley's Hangar 6 years ago.

Thanks for any info.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I use the PMDG NGX in both my homecockpit setup and when flying with a Samsun 4K SUHD 55 TV.

 

The NGX panel is more than good enought, at least for me. Can't be that much better. If things should be improved, it must be my eyes not the NGX.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No they aren‘t UHD. But I fly the 737 on a 40“ 4k TV and they look really nice. PMDG did a beautiful job with this airplane. However if you search for it, there are „reworked“ cockpit textures around the internet that improve the panels even more. 

But keep in mind, the 737NGX is a really old addon, so there are some minor issues with the night lighting in Prepar3d. I‘d recommend using FSLAB‘s spotlights at night. It‘s free and works great.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marc & Roar, thanks for your replies. Sounds as though the VC will be okay. I know the 737 MAX is in development but that’s still going to be some way off.

I rarely fly at night being retired but I have used Spotlights with Concorde. Are those replacement textures ‘legal’?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Are those replacement textures ‘legal’?

At least they have been mentioned on Avsim and even in the PMDG forums a couple of times and never has anyone told us they weren't. So I don't think there's any issue... I can look for it and send you a PM with a link.. I think they are similar to a repaint.. 

Edited by Ephedrin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Marc, much appreciated. 😊 I only ask because some developers can be very protective of their product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks Marc, much appreciated. 😊 I only ask because some developers can be very protective of their product.

I know that PMDG ARE very protective and we both know that developer that is even more 😉 however it seems to me like a repaint. but if you want to be sure you always can ask in a support ticket first 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks Marc, much appreciated. 😊 I only ask because some developers can be very protective of their product.

Hi Ray. First off a Happy New Year to you.

Apparently that FSL Spotlights is easily available for free, so there should be no probs there.I bet David Muerden could confirm.

Envy your bid screen. Wish I had the space or room for one. Enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Marc, I may do that. I’ve just watched a YouTube video by Blackbox711 in 4K and the instruments look great. Perhaps it’s the surrounding parts of the panel you’re referring to. That would make sense really as they’re bitmap images.

One other question. I have GoFlight modules which include two GF166s for Nav and Com. Can those be linked directly or do I need 3rd party software? Having to use the mouse to change frequencies would be a pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Hi Ray. First off a Happy New Year to you.

Apparently that FSL Spotlights is easily available for free, so there should be no probs there.I bet David Muerden could confirm.

Envy your bid screen. Wish I had the space or room for one. Enjoy.

Thanks Rick and a Happy 2019 to you too. Lefteris released Spotlights last year to help customer relations, good move.

The UHD monitor is fantastic. Samsung do a 28” if 32” is too big. The move up especially with VCs is excellent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

One other question. I have GoFlight modules which include two GF166s for Nav and Com. Can those be linked directly or do I need 3rd party software? Having to use the mouse to change frequencies would be a pain.

My GF166s link directly with both COMs and both NAVs without needing the Pollipot GIT software. I need GIT to interface my EFIS and MCP PRO with the NGX though (Unable otherwise).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks Rick and a Happy 2019 to you too. Lefteris released Spotlights last year to help customer relations, good move.

The UHD monitor is fantastic. Samsung do a 28” if 32” is too big. The move up especially with VCs is excellent.

Hi Ray. Already have a 24-in Dell Ultrasharp. Am quite happy with that, but thanks for the heads-up. Will think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also there was a non official vc texture update, very nice panels crisp HD. But PMDG had a problem with it so its hidden on the internet 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NBouc said:

My GF166s link directly with both COMs and both NAVs without needing the Pollipot GIT software. I need GIT to interface my EFIS and MCP PRO with the NGX though (Unable otherwise).

Thanks Normand, that's reassuring to know. I wasn't sure if PMDG had dedicated COM and NAV control or not. I also have the GoFlight MCP so will be getting the Pollipot software.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Hypofx said:

also there was a non official vc texture update, very nice panels crisp HD. But PMDG had a problem with it so its hidden on the internet 🙂

That was confirmed by another user, thanks. Pity PMDG couldn't update them themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a 55 inch upscaling 4k TV with the 737 and it's like sitting in the cockpit. Even turned my texture res down from 4096 after years to 1024 and maybe 1% of cockpit is less impressive but in out of view places. The upscaling is the magic here. I run default textures. Going through the fcoms again in great detail so I'm looking at every little switch and knob again.. All is sharp and legible from 2 to 3 feet away from the screen. Good times! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Russell. My main concern is that the instruments themselves are ultra sharp including the FMS and the overhead with all its switches and lettering. From a Youtube video I saw and your post those seems to be fine.

When FS Labs designed the overhead panels for Concorde 32-bit a lot of compromises had to be made in order to keep VAS usage as low as possible.

Sorry if I’m coming across as paranoid but I just want to be certain before I hit that Buy button.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Sorry if I’m coming across as paranoid but I just want to be certain before I hit that Buy button.

No problem Ray! If you want me to I can take 4k screen shots today and share them.That should be all you need if you just let me know which areas you want? PFD/MCP/Overhead/Pedestal? Plus of course NO upscaling in screen shots so what you see is what you get. 

Edited by sloppysmusic
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Russell but I've decided to buy it as no-one has raised any concerns about the quality of the panels.

I wanted to get my order in before a certain vote in the House of Commons this evening as there could be a run on the Pound and this is already my most expensive purchase.

Installing tomorrow! 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks Russell but I've decided to buy it as no-one has raised any concerns about the quality of the panels.

Sweet Ray you won't regret it!

I have a shared album of all my custom ChasePlane views on Imgur now so if anyone else needs to see the textures they can see for themselves. 

Custom ChasePlane views for PMDG 737 NGX (600 Model)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

wanted to get my order in before a certain vote in the House of Commons this evening as there could be a run on the Pound

Thanks for that reminder Ray. Just bought the 747-8i Expansion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:39 AM, sloppysmusic said:

Sweet Ray you won't regret it!

I have a shared album of all my custom ChasePlane views on Imgur now so if anyone else needs to see the textures they can see for themselves. 

Custom ChasePlane views for PMDG 737 NGX (600 Model)

Russel,

Are the textures pictured in your link the default PMDG 737 NGX textures? They seem much clearer in terms of lettering and with more contrast than mine in P3d V4. Is HDR turned off?

Thanks,

Greg Clark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, greg100o said:

Are the textures pictured in your link the default PMDG 737 NGX textures? They seem much clearer in terms of lettering and with more contrast than mine in P3d V4. Is HDR turned off?

Yes they are default alright. What's more impressive is that I 'downgraded' to 1024 TexRes from 4096 to save VAS in my old sim FSX and those textures are at that resolution! Pretty darn good eh?

Plane is #1 on my list of favorites. Only the radio pedestal has aging textures these days IMO especially at night, but as long as you don't turn up the flood it's fine. 

No HDR of course in FSX!

Edited by sloppysmusic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, greg100o said:

Russel,

boy they do look gorgeous!

 

Greg

Yes they do, fellow aviation nerd!

😎😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now