Sign in to follow this  
bean_sprout

Bye Bye Miss America Pie

WIN 10 is leaps and bounds better than WIN 7 IMO largely because of the security features.

Cheers
bs

Edited by bean_sprout
  • Upvote 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

3 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

WIN 10 is leaps and bounds better than WIN 7 IMO largely because of the security features.

Cheers
bs

certainly is! Specially since I gutted the Windows defender, windows firewall and the UAC! Dedicated Flight computer, I don't need that word not allowed!

Edited by Adrian123

20 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

windows 10. The PC POLICE! The extreme security makes it a total PITA! I feel a Large part of FS addon problems are due to W10 security./Window defender bender

Then turn it all off! It's not difficult. Which FS add-on problems have been directly related to Windows 10 security? If you're talking about User Account Control (UAC), remember that it's there in Windows 7 as well.

Edited by vortex681
  • Like 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

2 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Then turn it all off! It's not difficult. Which FS add-on problems have been related to Windows 10 security? If you're talking about User Account Control (UAC), remember that it's there in Windows 7 as well.

Read the above, Oh and auto update and Xbox and News and Contacts and Edge and Cortana! Works GREAT..NOW!

Edited by Adrian123

1 minute ago, Adrian123 said:

Read the above, Oh and auto update! Works GREAT..NOW!

I was typing as you posted! That said, I'd never turn of automatic security updates (just driver updates) if you ever connect to the Internet.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

1 minute ago, vortex681 said:

I was typing as you posted! That said, I'd never turn of automatic security updates (just driver updates) if you ever connect to the Internet.

I dont connect the Flight Computer to the internet. Ill choose my driver updates and when. I'll install them from a separate computer.

Edited by Adrian123

Just now, Adrian123 said:

Ill choose my driver updates and when. I'll install them from a separate computer.

I connect to the Internet rather than another computer, but otherwise that's exactly what I do. I only install new drivers when I need to rather than just because they're available.

2 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

I connect to the Internet rather than another computer, but otherwise that's exactly what I do. I only install new drivers when I need to rather than just because they're available.

Cool.

On 1/16/2019 at 11:31 AM, MarkW said:

I ran XP on my second computer for 6 years with it being unsupported and guess what....nothing happened.

I'm still running Win XP and nothing has happened!😱

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I wouldn't broadcast that around 🙂

Cheers
bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

I haven't had any updates to my Win 7 installation for months now and everything is just fine. I recall getting occasional updates say a year (maybe less) ago. Perhaps the system is stable enough and nothing new is needed. 

Edited by michal

On 1/18/2019 at 9:59 AM, vortex681 said:

Why? I really don't understand the animosity against Windows 10.

It is not animosity, I don't like the direction Microsoft has gone with Windows 10 and I prefer not to use it if I can avoid it. I just don't trust Microsoft anymore. It is appears that they seem to have joined google, facebook, and all of the other social media companies in collecting client's data. Most people seem to be OK with this, I am not. My understanding is that you can turn off some data collection but not all. And no, I do not use google or facebook. I have never had an account with any of these companies. The way Microsoft went about installing software on people's Win 7 machines trying to get everyone onto Windows 10 left a bad taste in my mouth. It took a lot of time on my part to stay up to date on that stuff to keep if off my computers and keep them running well. I prefer not to continue doing business with a company that treats it's customers with such disrespect. The quality control on their updates seems to have really dropped in the last few years and on windows 10 my understanding is that you can only delay the forced updates for 30 days. I'm in the process of replacing my other home computers with Apple products and by the time Windows 7 expires in a year I am hoping to only have windows 7 on my dedicated new flight sim computer. Apple at least publicly claims that they protecting customer's data. I think it is more likely that my flight sim system will get screwed up by a bad Windows 10 update than any malware. If malware does get it in I will just re-image the drive. The flight sim computer runs on the guest network separated from my home network. I expect I will have to install windows 10 some day to keep flight simming but I am going to try to put it off as long as I can.

My windows 7 machines boot very quickly, now that I've gotten all the "Get Windows 10" nonsense off of them. Microsoft wouldn't have done that on purpose would they? :biggrin:

Lastly, and most important, I am not trying to convince anyone else to do the same, I am just providing my reasons since Vortex61 asked.

Ted

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

2 hours ago, Ted Striker said:

It is appears that they seem to have joined google, facebook, and all of the other social media companies in collecting client's data. Most people seem to be OK with this, I am not.

Windows 7 also collects data but Microsoft has not been as transparent about it as they have with Windows 10.

2 hours ago, Ted Striker said:

The quality control on their updates seems to have really dropped in the last few years and on windows 10 my understanding is that you can only delay the forced updates for 30 days.

If you have Windows 10 Pro you can defer updates for a year (up to 16 months if you're clever about it). I'll admit that Microsoft were heavy-handed with their upgrade policy but I would still recommend Windows 10 to anyone. That said, I obviously respect your decision to stick with Windows 7.

Edited by vortex681

22 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Windows 7 also collects data but Microsoft has not been as transparent about it as they have with Windows 10.

I'm sure it does, but I do have a little more control over what updates gets installed when I do a fresh install of Windows 7. But I agree that Microsoft can probably get access to any information they want on any OS they ever made. Until I hear Microsoft pledging to protect customer data as Apple has done, the MS machines are on the guest network. I am glad to see governments finally acknowledging the issues of data security. Another concern of mine is that once support ends for Windows 7 in a year MS could secretly push out patches that cripple Windows 7. The bottom line is that MS does no longer regards me as a client but instead as a data source and profit center like all the other social media companies. In the years ahead I'm sure my flight sim addiction will force me to accept Windows 10.......unless P3D is ported to Linux or the Linux versus of X-Plane surpasses P3D in the areas important to me in a flight sim.

So for the time being I'm still eating the American Pie :biggrin:

Ted

Edited by Ted Striker
Reference to the topic title

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Windows 10 updates will drop when it hits final after that only security updates like W7, and that may not be long after W7 ends and after that they will make software addons for windows like the office software, the future seem to be subscription software that`s the way the industry is going.

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg