Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

EFB+Navigraph Charts.........subscription

Call me a numpty, gents,......(sticks and stones and all that.......)if you want, but need some help, please.

Flew the 748 for the first time this evening having acquired it last night. Great aircraft. Kudos PMDG. Downloaded a demo version of the Navigraph Charts. The two airports featured are supposed to be fully-fledged, yet I could not see anything to show me the airport ground charts. In other words, if I paid for the subscription, not being able to see the airport taxiways, parking slots, etc would be a waste of money for me at least, only to see airways, which in any case looked like a plethora of lines hither, thither and everywhere. That learning curve will come later. Have I got the concept all wrong, in that you do see airport ground charts, i.e. taxiways, parking bays, et al so that one can reference these ground charts to navigate around any particular airport upon exiting the runway?

I know that AivlaSoft's EFBv2 is not linked to this product nor am I making assumptions it is, but in the flightplanning stage, it does show me the ground charts, i.e. this evening I could clearly figure out which direction Rwy 16 at FSDT's LSZH lay, and thus was able to make my way to the departure threshold no problem. Just want to know before I cough up for a Navigraph subscription if its charts also do the same.

Thanks for any assistance, tips, advice, etc.

This is something i would like to know as well. So lets say i subscribe for one month, and then not subscribe after that. Does this mean that i will not be able to use the EFB because i let my subscription stop?

Mike

Intel 12700k No over clocking 32GB G-Skill 3600 Ram MSI RTX3080

52 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Call me a numpty, gents,......(sticks and stones and all that.......)if you want, but need some help, please.

Flew the 748 for the first time this evening having acquired it last night. Great aircraft. Kudos PMDG. Downloaded a demo version of the Navigraph Charts. The two airports featured are supposed to be fully-fledged, yet I could not see anything to show me the airport ground charts. In other words, if I paid for the subscription, not being able to see the airport taxiways, parking slots, etc would be a waste of money for me at least, only to see airways, which in any case looked like a plethora of lines hither, thither and everywhere. That learning curve will come later. Have I got the concept all wrong, in that you do see airport ground charts, i.e. taxiways, parking bays, et al so that one can reference these ground charts to navigate around any particular airport upon exiting the runway?

I know that AivlaSoft's EFBv2 is not linked to this product nor am I making assumptions it is, but in the flightplanning stage, it does show me the ground charts, i.e. this evening I could clearly figure out which direction Rwy 16 at FSDT's LSZH lay, and thus was able to make my way to the departure threshold no problem. Just want to know before I cough up for a Navigraph subscription if its charts also do the same.

Thanks for any assistance, tips, advice, etc.

I dont know if the Navigrah Charts demo includes ground charts. Regardless, a navigraph subscription will provide you with all of the Jeppessen Charts for any airport in their 19,000+ airport database. Any airport  in the database will include a airport diagram.  However, the PMDG -8 EFB will not show the current aircraft position on a EFB airport diagram. 

What you are probably looking for is the Airport Moving Map (AMM) feature in the -8. Which you can enable by selecting the ARPT on the left or right EFIS panel, and then scrolling the ND (navigation display) range selector to 5NM or less on the associated ND. You will now see your aircraft position on the ND with a detailed layout of the airport. This data is independent of any Navigraph subscription and comes from simulator AFCAD data (completely free). 

47 minutes ago, Riah069 said:

This is something i would like to know as well. So lets say i subscribe for one month, and then not subscribe after that. Does this mean that i will not be able to use the EFB because i let my subscription stop?

The EFB has multiple tools installed. Including Peformance (takeoff/landing), weight and balance, unit conversion, calculator, etc. The only tool dependent on a Navigraph subscription is the EFB charts. If your subscription ends you only lose access to the EFB charts. The other tools continue to function independently.

I suggest you both watch this excellent -8 differences video created by Kyle. It will answer all of your questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0idsJxu9fY

Edited by calzonister
  • Like 1

Good Morning and thanks a bundle, Leo. Just what I was looking for. The lower part of the answer you gave, I managed to figure out and use. Will try your tips tonight after I have viewed that YT link.

Just spent over 40 minutes watching that Kyle video. Great link. Thanks, Leo. Learnt a great deal about that EFB. Will try it out tonight.

One small question, Leo. How do I get that EFB to display the airport layout as Kyle had it from EFB in that ND? Is there a switch/knob/button that does it?

Edited by vc10man

8 hours ago, vc10man said:

One small question, Leo. How do I get that EFB to display the airport layout as Kyle had it from EFB in that ND? Is there a switch/knob/button that does it?

On the EFIS panel select AIRPORT then decrease range and you'll see the airport map.  It's usable from 0.12 nm and up.  Oh by the way, the IRS need aligned for the airport to appear.

Dan Downs KCRP

11 minutes ago, downscc said:

On the EFIS panel select AIRPORT then decrease range and you'll see the airport map.  It's usable from 0.12 nm and up.  Oh by the way, the IRS need aligned for the airport to appear.

And ofcourse you need to have the airport in your RTE page. 🙂

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

32 minutes ago, downscc said:

Thank you, Dan.

20 minutes ago, Olympic260 said:

And ofcourse you need to have the airport in your RTE page. 🙂

Thank you Chris

Now, looking forwards to getting home and trying out flight #2 this time from KIAD to KDFW (both FSDT flights I have done dozens of times, except without the 748i and that ubiquitous EFB, a work of marvel.

3 minutes ago, vc10man said:

both FSDT

KIAD is Flightbeam.  Regardless, my routine test is KIAD PHNL depart rwy 30 then BUNZZ3 departure.  I find it amazing that the 748 will cover this distance without having to bother putting fuel in the center tank.  KIAD KDFW is a nice short hop.

Dan Downs KCRP

23 minutes ago, downscc said:

KIAD is Flightbeam. 

Ooops, in my excitement at yours and Chris' replies, dashing for home after work, I made a boo-boo. Of course it s is Flightbeam's and just setting-up there now

25 minutes ago, downscc said:

KIAD KDFW is a nice short hop.

Time constraints, unfortunately.

42 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Time constraints, unfortunately.

Very understandable.  I love retirement... in fact I love it so much that my attitude is now that every day worked was to get to this.  Save, save, save.

• Like 1

Dan Downs KCRP

1 minute ago, downscc said:

I love retirement

I too am retired, Dan, but work voluntarily helping out a friend in his one-man business.

• Upvote 1

Not sure where, but last few days I seem to recall that somebody said a Third Party EFB could be used instead of the Navigraph version, which entails a new subscription all over again. Can anybody kindly shed some light on is this a possibility?

Rick, the EFB in the PMDG B748 is not a "Navigraph version," it is entirely a PMDG product that also interfaces with Navigraph for charts.  The charts are not required to use the EFB.  PMDG has said they expect to interface with the Aerosoft charts product in the future, but still the EFB will be PMDG and the charts by whomever.

Dan Downs KCRP

19 hours ago, downscc said:

Rick, the EFB in the PMDG B748 is not a "Navigraph version," it is entirely a PMDG product that also interfaces with Navigraph for charts.  The charts are not required to use the EFB.  PMDG has said they expect to interface with the Aerosoft charts product in the future, but still the EFB will be PMDG and the charts by whomever.

Rick, if you think of the EFB as an integral part of the 747-8's complex systems and not just as a PMDG product you won't be wrong!