Sign in to follow this  
IAhawkeyeDDS

Who much headroom is recommended in an SSD???

I have a 960 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB that is getting full.  But just in general how much headroom should be left in an SSD to maintain optimal performance?? 5%, 10%, 20%??

Also,  I am installing another 860 Pro via SATA III (2 TB).  I will be moving Orbx and mesh over to the new drive to free up space and using a symbolic link to the original P3D folder.  Will I be losing any performance from the sim by going this route?

Thanks,

Doc

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1.  I'd recommend 10% minimum free space unless you do a LOT of writing to the drive...so much and so fast that garbage collection might have trouble keeping up (not a likely scenario in a consumer PC).

2.  You shouldn't see any ill effect except maybe a very small increase in initial load time for the sim.  When the sim is running, it does lookahead buffering that makes storage speed essentially a nonfactor unless you are loading large batches of huge photoscenery files.

Regards

• Upvote 1

It is my understanding that SSD performance begins to suffer when they are 90% full.  If you are writing large files to the SSD, then you may notice a performance loss at 75% full.

• Upvote 1

Insufficient free space affects write times, not read times.

Cheers!