smtschirhart

Using PMDG B737 in MS FSX

Recommended Posts

I recently purchased the PMDG B737 for FSX because I saw on the internet someone who was using this program in a simulated cockpit.  The person was demonstrating the starting procedures for the airplane.  When I started the Flight simulator and loaded the plane, I found that there is no option to do this that I could figure out.  So, IS there an option in FSX for this?  Can someone point me in the right direction? I will definately appreciate it.

 

Stephen Tschirhart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Welcome to the AVSIM forums! :happy: There is a forum dedicated to PMDG questions and run by PMDG Moderators.  The only suggestion I can offer, since I don't own this product, is to read the manual that came with your purchase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, smtschirhart said:

I recently purchased the PMDG B737 for FSX because I saw on the internet someone who was using this program in a simulated cockpit.  The person was demonstrating the starting procedures for the airplane.  When I started the Flight simulator and loaded the plane, I found that there is no option to do this that I could figure out.  So, IS there an option in FSX for this?  Can someone point me in the right direction? I will definately appreciate it.

What is it you are trying to do?  Are you trying to start from Cold and Dark?  Are you trying to use it in a home cockpit?  Are you trying to use the virtual cockpit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You set the airplane to Cold and Dark via the FMC. From this state you can do a complete start of the airplane 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, smtschirhart said:

I recently purchased the PMDG B737 for FSX because I saw on the internet someone who was using this program in a simulated cockpit.  The person was demonstrating the starting procedures for the airplane.  When I started the Flight simulator and loaded the plane, I found that there is no option to do this that I could figure out.  So, IS there an option in FSX for this?  Can someone point me in the right direction? I will definately appreciate it.

 

Stephen Tschirhart

Hi Stephen.  If you mean that the 'plane is already engines running, and you want it 'cold and dark', you will find the various optional start up states in the FMC opening page, on the right hand side under a line select key PMDG Setup (or similar). You will find detailed instructions on pages 62-65 of the Introduction Doc (.pdf file)

Andrew

Edited by threebears
more info
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nas123 said:

You set the airplane to Cold and Dark via the FMC. From this state you can do a complete start of the airplane 

Small point of order... in the CDU, not the FMC which is located in the Avionics Bay.

Not being a hard case, this is relevant for searching the documentation.

Best wishes!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Small point of order... in the CDU, not the FMC which is located in the Avionics Bay.

Not being a hard case, this is relevant for searching the documentation.

Best wishes!

 

Thanks for the correction Dave.  I meant FMS - which is how it is described in the PMDG documentation.  Mea Culpa.

Andrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, threebears said:

Thanks for the correction Dave.  I meant FMS - which is how it is described in the PMDG documentation.  Mea Culpa.

Andrew

I understand.  I just checked all the documentation that PMDG provides with the aircraft as well as other similar 737 documents I have, and the term CDU certainly appears to be the correct phrase for searching these documents, though there are certainly cases for FMC would be the correct term.

Here is where flight simmers get a little confused, and I'm the first to admit it's easy to become confused by this, ESPECIALLY in the forums but also in the documentation.  The following is written for anyone who might read this post in the future rather than Andrew (as he appears to understand this very well):

As we all know, the CDU is the pilots input/output panel to program and receive data from the FMC, the latter being located off the flight deck in the avionics bay and for the most part is merely a electronics box with cables that go in and out of it.  While it's technically correct to say that one "Programmed the FMC" (Flight Management Computer), however one does this by inputting via the CDU.

Thinking of this another way... the FMC is like the box that holds our CPU, Graphics Card, RAM and Motherboard, but without a display, keyboard and Mouse the computer doesn't do what we want it to.  Probably the best way to search for someone not immersed in the systems is try one term and see if it produces the desired search results and if not, then use the other.

So why is this important?  Again, for searching PMDG and other documents during our learning process.  Knowing what to search for (Should I search for CDU or FMC?) depends on the frame of reference.

Andrew, thanks so very much for the input my friend!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now