birdguy

This is annoying..

This has been bothering me for a long time.  I have my resolution set at 1960x1080.  My monitor is capable of 2560x1440.  But at that resolution these tired old eyes cannot read the airport IDs on the GPS.

Every time I load my flight simulator I get this..ding dong, You will get better quality by setting your resolution to 2560x1440.  Yeah, if you are some young 24 year old stud with perfect 20/20 vision.

How do I turn off that notice?  I turn off the sound when load one of my simulators so I don't hear the ding-dong but I would like to get rid of the damned thing altogether.

Noel 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Honestly, you'll get far better readability if you set the GPU's display settings to the monitor's native resolution and then manage the display size with appropriate zoom and eyepoint adjustments.  A camera control program like EZDok, ChasePlane or OpusFSI would make that fairly easy to manage.  Letting the monitor's interpolation handle the resizing results in some significant degradaton of the text characters.

Regards

Completely concur with what Bob's saying here.  Sure, you're achieving one part of your objective by making everything "bigger", but losing a lot of that right back by making everything of lower quality and fuzzier.

The other option, of course, is to get a bigger monitor of the same resolution.

Scott

Thanks guys.  I'll try that.

Noel

My eyes have been slowly deteriorating once I passed 50 but I found salvation in a 55 inch 4k upscaling TV as a monitor. The text is crystal clear and if I have problems I just lean forward and it's like reading a book. Lean back and the glory of the flight sim world is mine. It's like being in the cockpit with the size of panels on screen. 

4k is actually cheap finally, but I still would never get one without great upscaling. 

Those who buy UHD TVs as computer monitors need to make sure they buy one that supports chroma 4:4:4. This guarantees sharp text. Most TVs that have HDR are compatible but generally only on one HDMI input.