Sign in to follow this  
exeodus

PBR update available for PMDG 747/8

1 hour ago, Adrian123 said:

You tell us?

To be honest, it should be okay for someone to challenge information without providing their own.

All the same:

"For those wondering about adding this effect to other products:  Rainmaker will be present in all of the 747 fleet first, and then we anticipate that RainMaker will be ported into the 777 and the NG3. (We are unsure about NGX.)"

...this is why always ask people for sources, and this is why I get so bent out of shape when people get on my case for asking for it. Bad information can spread very quickly. People can help stop this by asking for sources instead of just saying "oh, they must be correct because they stated it so firmly."

• Like 3

Kyle Rodgers

16 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

To be honest, it should be okay for someone to challenge information without providing their own

As a manufacture representative, it's my opinion, you may want to keep your personal opinions to you self. If one of my Reps made a statement to a customer or potential customer like that, right or wrong we would be having a conversation in MY office!

Thank you for the answer though.

Edited by Adrian123
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

As a manufacture representative, it's my opinion, you may want to keep your personal opinions to you self.

Ironic statement. As a representative, you may also want to brush up on copy editing.

It's not really a personal opinion. It's a commonly accepted part of dialogue, discussion and debate. Moreover, I didn't have to go find that information for you, despite you asking for it (rather rudely, I might add).

• Like 7

Kyle Rodgers

I downloaded the pbr update today and just a short question. Does that look normal to u with the pbr update? I mean it looks like a christmas tree in the middle of the night. No Tomatoshade profile is active btw

7ZIEeMb.jpg

40 minutes ago, frankyfirstt said:

I downloaded the pbr update today and just a short question. Does that look normal to u with the pbr update? I mean it looks like a christmas tree in the middle of the night. No Tomatoshade profile is active btw

7ZIEeMb.jpg

Looks like you're still using the non-pbr version. Did you disable the reflection profile before or after you updated?

If after, try reinstall the update.

12 hours ago, itsjase said:

Looks like you're still using the non-pbr version. Did you disable the reflection profile before or after you updated?

If after, try reinstall the update.

Well, u were correct. There were more updates in the operation center. I thought it will automatically download the latest... Now it's working. Ty very much!

On 3/9/2019 at 4:38 AM, vc10man said:

Also downloaded it this morning, Alan. But what exactly does PBR do for this and other aircraft I have heard PBR being mentioned, oft?

Hey Rick,

It does this.
(pics only worth 999 words....you need to see it in the live sim):

ASMHpz.jpg

U1e6e1.jpg

RDK5JK.jpg

f86f8K.jpg

The reflections you see on the metal are from the real environment surrounding the plane(s) and are dynamic, i.e. move with the change of the viewing angle.  Clouds, coastlines, terrain, etc...all reflecting off the metal. 

You simply can't fully appreciate it in a still pic.  When you see it in the sim, it takes your breath away.  The sun glint is also dynamic...you almost need sunglasses to view it, hehe.

• Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Does anyone know if the PBR effects can be disabled?

The 4.5 P3D update is still giving me a lot of aliasing, and I don't know how to roll back the PMDG update.

Cheers

5 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Does anyone know if the PBR effects can be disabled?

Can't be done.

The lack of antialiasing is a bug within P3D that LM needs to adress.

Yeah thnx, just found out over on PMDG forum.

Just got the Carenado ATR, with PBR, and quite a bit of shimmer there as well.

Certainly seems like this PBR is coming at a price..... hope LM sort it out.

41 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

Yeah thnx, just found out over on PMDG forum.

Just got the Carenado ATR, with PBR, and quite a bit of shimmer there as well.

Certainly seems like this PBR is coming at a price..... hope LM sort it out.

To be fair, the Carenado planes have always been shimmer nightmares, even before PBR.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Could be right. Seems to be worse at the hull panel joints /seams...... May actually be a different issue entirely.

9 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Could be right. Seems to be worse at the hull panel joints /seams...... May actually be a different issue entirely.

PBR has probably made it worse. I just realized that Carenado's 4K textures are notorious for shimmering at the body panel's joints and seams, requiring high amounts of supersampling to get rid of.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Agreed. Problem with their ATR 42, is that the liveries shipped are all basically white for the most part... and this seems to make the issue worsr.

Hopefully some painters will bring out some darker schemes, which hide it more.

My VA did a livery for the Carenado dornier 228, in a dark blue, and it looked a ton better than the lighter schemes.... hid the shimmers at the seams a lot bettet.

But yes, the PBR does look good, but personally, I favour anti aliasing over PBR.

Only 1 addon gives us the choice so far - the Maddog - and only because True Light is currently incompatible with it ! So, you have to choose one or the other.

But I have already found that some painters are doing 2 versions... one with PBR and 1 without.

Time will tell whether it will be a curse or a blessing. Personally, I would prefer to be able to choose.

Edited by GeeBee

In my personal opinion, we pay a lot of money for the 777 and 747. To see the 747 get constant updates while I sit here missing the 777 that had a very small update last summer is disappointing. I spent all my addon money on the one airplane, the 777. But bought the 747 blowing my budget for addons for 6 months because it keeps getting updates and the 777 line ignored. The looping sound bug in the 777 is quite annoying if I change views outside and back I have to press Q or else the engine sounds loop. There are minor bugs in the fmc also. An update this summer for the 777 would be very appreciated to have but will that happen? All the hype is on the 747 and the Operations Center that needs to first roll out in the Queen right? So at best, and with the talk of beta for the NGXv3 will it be fall at least before a 777 update? To finally get an EFB, PBR, rain effects. For a $150 product I would think PMDG can afford a full time dev still updating that product line. Now hearing PMDG are taking a DC-6 on a tour is this where the money is going? I am not upset just sad we 777 flyers are the last important customers. Like if I bought a Tesla S and had no updates because the Model 3 is the only thing updated. Both products are updated and we should be treated equally.

Edited by Boeing or not going