exeodus

PBR update available for PMDG 747/8

Just downloaded it and tried it out, looks very nice.  Make sure you updated both the Client and Content to 4.4 for the update to work properly.

• Like 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Also downloaded it this morning, Alan. But what exactly does PBR do for this and other aircraft I have heard PBR being mentioned, oft? Forgive my ignorance.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, vc10man said:

Also downloaded it this morning, Alan. But what exactly does PBR do for this and other aircraft I have heard PBR being mentioned, oft? Forgive my ignorance.

Rick am amazed you don't know as your well read. Never mind 🙂 What it is, from 4.4> in this case with PMDG 747-8 its a process that gives reflection to all metal and paint. So the Ali/steal parts look just like metal and paint looks like it has a clear coat to makes it shine and reflect. Looking stunning.

I loaded up the -8F and the difference was night and day. The leading edges of the wings were the first thing that hit me, but the shine from the sun reflexing of the paint is great. Also unlike Tomato shade with its reflections. PBR has no performance hit. 

Edited by Nyxx

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

Rick am amazed you don't know as your well read. Never mind 🙂 What it is, from 4.4> in this case with PMDG 747-8 its a process that gives reflection to all metal and paint. So the Ali/steal parts look just like metal and paint looks like it has a clear coat to makes it shine and reflect. Looking stunning.

I loaded up the -8F and the difference was night and day. The leading edges of the wings were the first thing that hit me, but the shine from the sun reflexing of the paint is great. Also unlike Tomato shade with its reflections. PBR has no performance hit. 

Thanks for that David. Downloaded it as per Ops Center this morning, then as I was running late for the office this morning, did a quick lookie at the retro BOAC livery on the 747-400 and did notice shiny reflections, but thought I must be looking at the wrong perspective of what PBR actually does.

Thanks for enlightening me, David.

• Like 1

What was the reason for doing the 747s first and not the 777s or 737.?? 

33 minutes ago, tooting said:

What was the reason for doing the 747s first and not the 777s or 737.?? 

I doubt it, PBR was just introduced by LM on Version 4.4

I know that for, 4.4 

Why did they do the 747 first? 

It's their flagship product.

The 777 will probably get the treatment eventually, the 737 not likely since they are developing version 3.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, netshadoe said:

It's their flagship product.

The 777 will probably get the treatment eventually, the 737 not likely since they are developing version 3.

Cheers thanks. 

I hope the T7 gets it too. 

PMDG already announced that the 777 is getting a PBR makeover.

Have a look at the official PMDG general forums, it won’t be any time soon....

I got the treatment from Robert yesterday who said he didn’t want to put any more on the developers plate and when I expressed polite disappointment I get hammered over it...

Last update for the B777 was mid 2017...although they said they will update (with no proposed timeline I might add) there ain’t no sign of it at all and I doubt there ever will be to be honest.  Anyone seen an image or anything that would lead you to believe that was not the case?

Just my thoughts of course.

It certainly isn’t a priority as you can tell from Roberts rather rude and childish response to me or PMDG’s actions. Only the Queen seems to matter in terms of technology and additional feature updates.  

‘The NG3 is obviously underway and their operations center project seem to have any other development time available.

They do some good work but dodge the hard questions or get angry when you express genuine disappointment at lack of progress for what is supposed to be a current project.....it’s a pity.

There are some other good developers out there that may satisfy my further requirements after this episode unfortunately.

• Upvote 3

Sorry Barra but your wrong about the T7 last being updated mid 17,  the last update was July 18, and I read the thread you posted on their forums, RSR's first response was that their current workload is preventing anyone working on the T7 this moment in time.

Posted (edited)

I stand corrected over the last update time Steve, I thought my update log said mid 2017.  Not sure what they updated last year, was it anything substantial or just a control panel update?

If their current workload doesn’t allow them to work on the B777 despite numerous updates for the Queen, does that not trigger any alarm bells for you?  Perhaps those thinking about investing in the B777 are basing their purchase thoughts on a promised update in technology that they say they haven’t got time to do! That might be why Robert was upset with me pointing out.

By the way I hope you are right......and it does come. Just won’t be holding my breath.

Edited by barramundilure
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, barramundilure said:

If their current workload doesn’t allow them to work on the B777 despite numerous updates for the Queen, does that not trigger any alarm bells for you? 

Not particularly, I understand that you can only set so many tasks at once for your devs and as the 747 is their newest product it's going to have a higher priority considering the age of the T7 (Can't remember when it was released, its got to be at least a couple of years ago.) I have to admit I will be happy to get an update whenever. PMDG in my opinion is one of the better devs when it comes to releasing updates compared to the likes of aerosoft's airbus and QW 787. Obviously everyone is going to have a different opinion on whats an acceptable wait time for updates though.

46 minutes ago, barramundilure said:

I stand corrected over the last update time Steve, I thought my update log said mid 2017.  Not sure what they updated last year, was it anything substantial or just a control panel update?

Not really substantial update, couple of CTD fixes and FMS, AFDS improvements.

Posted (edited)

Steve it was the 300ER that was last updated Oct 2017 hence the confusion.  You are correct to 200LR had a minor update mid 2018.

My concern is that the Queen has had all the updates while a curent product in the B777 has had little or no love, with none in the works any time soon.

As you said, everyone is entitled to an opinion as to when an update is overdue or not.

Edited by barramundilure

Posted (edited)

I wonder which out of the 3,    747,777,737 has sold the least copies? For P3D. 

I make a punt and say the 747.  I could well be wrong mind you.  I'll make a bigger punt and say they did the 747 first to boost some sales of it.  

Like I said I'm probably wrong but just a theory as i remember they brought the 747 out first on P3Dv4 when it was released.

Saying that though ive just done 2 flights in the 747. one in the -8 and one in the 744 and its looks amazing the pbr effect

Edited by tooting

5 hours ago, tooting said:

I wonder which out of the 3,    747,777,737 has sold the least copies? For P3D. 

I make a punt and say the 747. 

I would of said the opposite, I know since the 747 was released I have barely flown anything else, I have not even bothered to install the 737.

Who knows. I also fly the 747 more than the other 2 but that's only because I work for an airline that has them.  I'd guess the 737 sold the most

I have to believe that the 737 has sold the most, just because of the price point.  If someone wants to get their first PMDG aircraft, they’re probably going to want to see if all the hype is real.  Therefore, buy the cheapest airliner and give it a whirl.  Then you can make an informed decision about getting the 747 or 777.  That’s what I did.

I guess that the 747 would be the next highest seller, since after getting the 737, you would want something more radically different (4 engines vs. 2).

Posted (edited)

The fact that PMDG do not currently have time to give the 777 the PBR treatment is hardly the end of the world, and they certainly should not be criticised for it. They work hard to give us quality products that are close to perfection, so give them a break. I do all of my flying from inside the VC, so I have not even noticed the difference in the 747.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 3

I have purchased 747 twice first in FS9 and now in P3Dv4. I think it would be and strong contender for the most popular. I don't get this what`s first thing in time all will be done and unless you update content in P3Dv4.4 you will not see it. I get the impression that patience is something that's gone missing today if the users cant get it now he`s not happy.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

The fact that PMDG do not currently have time to give the 777 the PBR treatment is hardly the end of the world, and they certainly should not be criticised for it. They work hard to give us quality products that are close to perfection, so give them a break. I do all of my flying from inside the VC, so I have not even noticed the difference in the 747.

I agree. PBR is outside eye candy and adds little to realism. Other then preflighting that is. I personally would like to see those resources devoted to getting NG3 developed.

The 747 has always been their "baby".  When they were only selling manuals (hence the name precision manuals), the 747 manual was the first, followed by a 757 manual.  I had that 747 manual (I think I still have it in the basement somewhere) and it was ground breaking at the time since the internet was in its infancy (circa early to mid 1990's), and information was not nearly as plentiful as it is today.

Here is the timeline of the releases from my memory and purchase history (I have emails archived from way back in 2004!!  😲)

- 747 Queen of the Skies (QOTS) released around 2004 (Bought this one)

- 747F (QOTS) expansion released in 2005.  (Bought this one)

- 747 QOTS v2 released in 2007. (Bought this one)

- MD-11 released in 2008  (Bought this one)

- JS-41 released on 2009.  (Bought this one)

- B737 NGX released in 2011.  (Bought this one)

- B777 released in 2013.  (Bought this one)

- DC-6 in 2017 - don't have it, but it's recent history.

- B747 QOTS v3 released in 2017.  (Bought this one)

Couple things:

The 747 line got the update because we still had some things to correct. Moreover, these things to correct (and add, though you can’t see/interact with the latter yet), are integral to Global Flight Operations. If you’re already actively updating one product, and PBR is going into a product, it would naturally be the one you are currently working on.

Next, PBR updates are a *significant* amount of work. Ask any painter how much work they need to do and they’ll back me up. Now add to that fact that all of the models need to be redone, so our modeler will, too. This work naturally takes people away from other tasks. It can be tough to hear/see a seemingly negative reaction when an update took a significant amount of work out of developer time (when they could be working on any number of upcoming projects), particularly when the part of the update in question is added features at no cost. Hearing “but why not the other plane” at that point is - in my opinion - a bit like getting a free cookie (biscuit?) and saying “but why not that one?” I don’t feel as if Tim’s post was that egregious, but there were points that I felt it walked the line. Wrong? No...but a bit odd in spots, especially when there were a few mentions that seemed to imply that we don’t really care about the 777.

We do. It needs to be updated to get it into Global Flight Operations, much like the 747 needed to be (but guess which one was in development when I started building out Global Flight Ops, making it easier to get the necessary changes into it). Keeping in mind that we tend to update more than exactly what is necessary and add a couple features when we do that, I don’t think it’s too hard to imagine that it’ll be gotten to in due time.

As you have all seen, we’re quite clear about when things cease (note the x86 announcement, for example). The 777 has gotten a few updates since release, and we haven’t explicitly stated we’re done with it. In fact, we’ve stated here and there that it’ll need updating to get into Global Flight Operations. Just because it’s not in the limelight at the moment doesn’t mean that it’s dead, or will be.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2