SledDriver

EnvDir-Shade/PTA/Tomatoshade/Other benefits of each?

Recommended Posts

As a new P3D user, I'm currently using EnvDir/EnvShade.

There are a few things I'd like to improve:

 - darker daytime skies at extreme altitude
 - less bright stars
 - remove hard edges on fog in valleys

Those for a start. Anyone know if one of the other shader progs does a better job on these things than my current EnvDir?

Cheers 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

30 minutes ago, SledDriver said:

As a new P3D user, I'm currently using EnvDir/EnvShade.

There are a few things I'd like to improve:

 - darker daytime skies at extreme altitude
 - less bright stars
 - remove hard edges on fog in valleys

Those for a start. Anyone know if one of the other shader progs does a better job on these things than my current EnvDir?

Cheers 

Benefits of each:

Envshade: plug and play, looks nice but no options.

PTA: None

Tomatoshade: Free version of PTA with more features such as dynamic reflections. Can also use PTA profiles.

Seems like you should try tomatoshade, will let you tweak those things you're after to your liking

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, SledDriver said:

As a new P3D user, I'm currently using EnvDir/EnvShade.

There are a few things I'd like to improve:

 - darker daytime skies at extreme altitude
 - less bright stars
 - remove hard edges on fog in valleys

Those for a start. Anyone know if one of the other shader progs does a better job on these things than my current EnvDir?

Cheers 

Envshade is hard to beat.  Looks good under a wide variety of conditions.  I would not trade it for PTA.

Share this post


Link to post

Interesting. Two conflicting views. 🙂

Also, does anyone know how Tomato/PTA deals with ASP4/ASCA - which has specific settings for working with EnvShade/EnvTex?

ALso I use Rex Skyforce3D, so I need to consider that too.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Just wait for Environment Force, should not be too much longer.

Share this post


Link to post

Tomato is also free and looks good with the default presets, very easy to install/uninstall to so no harm in trying it

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, itsjase said:

Benefits of each:

Envshade: plug and play, looks nice but no options.

PTA: None

Tomatoshade: Free version of PTA with more features such as dynamic reflections. Can also use PTA profiles.

Seems like you should try tomatoshade, will let you tweak those things you're after to your liking

PTA has screenshots that show how higher/lower values influence the image ...

Environment Force uses expressions just like PTA / Tomatoshade are able to already.

With EF and EnvShade you cannot change the tweaks like you want ; either fixed values or you can choose between fixed options...

Myself I like to tweak everything including many expressions ( dynamically changing tweaks ) :

 

 

Edited by GSalden

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Environment Force uses expressions just like PTA / Tomatoshade are able to already.

With EF and EnvShade you cannot change the tweaks like you want ; either fixed values or you can choose between fixed options...

You clearly aren't speaking for Environment Force.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, timest said:

You clearly aren't speaking for Environment Force.

That is correct Tim.

However, I can’t imagine that customers have to write their own expressions for EF....

A totally different question : some people like me use a multi view pc setup. Will EF be able to sync clouds over the network ?

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now