Sign in to follow this  
ukflight

Much support for India but 0 support for the Gulf Coast.

"In Germany , you have people blaiming Global warming and blaming a single person, (Bush), for a Hurricane. How pathetic is that." It's not pathetic.Global warming IS responsible for many of the changes in our climate and weather systems - at least that seems to be the consensus of informed scientific opinion. Freak events are becoming more common. Weather extremes are becoming more..extreme.The US administration has always denied this, of course. Most European nations feel America should do more to address this problem than they are doing. But its not just the US. Everyone in the developed world needs to think about how they individually contribute to increased CO2 emissions. This problem will not go away, unfortunately.Ian

Avsim is a flight simulation site. What has happened as a result of Hurricane Katrina, or come to that the Asian Tsunami, the Iraq War or any other domestic or international news is nothing to do with what this site is about. Nor should it be.We are a community, yes, and people comment often on political issues and assorted disasters in these forums; but don't knock Avsim themselves for not carrying such things on their front page. We come here for flight sim; if we want to learn about world affairs, we turn on the television, read a newspaper or go to CNN online or one of myriad other sites whose specific business it is to report the news. Reporting the news is not Avsim's responsibility.Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

>argh, I knew this would happen. Nobody is thinking there was>little damage done. What is being said is that there is not as>much damage done as during the tsunami. There has been no>attempt to minimize what has happened in New Orleans, in fact,>quite the contrary. But in relative terms the damage does not>come close. >>billg>Yeah actually you are trying to minimize it, in my opinion by making statements you cannot back up with any facts. NONE. With this post and your first one in this thread, You are trying to minimize it by making statements when in reality you have no clue as to what the damage actually is.So I'll tell you what. How about I give you a quote about someone who covered both the Tsunami in Sri Lanka, and this Hurricane in Mississippi. Unlike you, he has perspective and has been in both situations. Although, I suspect that is not enough.Here is what he said, and he is from Norway.http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/12517707.htm"Kim Riseth is one of those journalists. He works for a newspaper in Norway but is based in New York City. He has covered the war in Iraq, as well as the tsunami in Sri Lanki." "The destruction here is worse than the tsunami," Riseth said at the Emergency Management Agency. "It's exactly the same thing I saw in Sri Lanka. The houses were smaller and not as strong as the ones here, but this place is totally destroyed about three blocks from the beach."Hopefully now, you will stop with your all knowing statements and wait long enough for this disaster to be assessed.Your statement of the damage does not come close is simply based upon ZERO facts here.So again, what amount of death and destruction is good enough for you? I suspect no disaster is bad enough for some to offer help. It matters not, we will survive, this, we will rebuild it, and we will still help others in need. Hypocrisy abounds yet again.If you want images for perspective. I urge you to look at the many images in the Hundreds of posts here in this thread over at FreeRepublic. You need to stop believing what the press is feeding you and take note of what is actually happening. There are tens of thousands still stranded in New Orleans Right now. No Food, No water, no Shelter, nothing. Can you even ascertain that?Katrina Images,http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1...sts?q=1&&page=1There are dozens and dozens of threads about Katrina with eyewitness reports, etc.http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/keyword?k=katrina

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Yesterday you said there were "Hundreds dead in Biloxi" Yet no further information or any indication from the scene of these deaths.The mayor of New Orleans has talked about bodies floating the streets and you have tried to make it sound like the water is covered with them.Yet no one has seen these bodies and no government or news outlets have reported them.You continually bring up the "80" of New Orleans flooded - yet that number is easily shown to be completely over stated.The City of New Orleans represents about 30-35% of the metropolitian New Orleans area. There is almost no flooding on the West Bank. Large stretches of East New Orleans have been protected by the levees which have not failed, and though the pumps stopped for a while, they have restarted.People are being allowed back into their homes and neighborhoods in about half of the New Orleans area - including many in the actual city.The mayor of New Orleans JOB is to make the situation sound as bad as possible - to attract more aid and resources at the expense of other areas hit by the storm. I don't begudge him for doing so - he has to look out for the people who will vote in the next election - no the community as a whole.Just as always happens in every natural disaster - those with the least resouces are the ones hardest hit. The poor neighborhoods will suffer the greatest damage, destruction and loss of life.The dual levee failure is upsetting. The COE should have been better prepared for that possibility.Sorry - but you are running about 10-15% accuracy in your reports. Even CNN is doing better, and they are terrible.

>From the point of view of someone living in Poland I think that in a situation like this, where some terrible tradegy hits the USA, the feeling of sympathy and solidarity is very strong. I remember after 9/11 the vast amount of flowers, wreaths, dedications, etc placed outside the US embassy.When it comes to offering aid, most Poles probably think that the couple of broken old Mi-8 helcopters that they might be able to patch together might cause more embarassment than actually achieve something. Most people here see the USA as some sort of Eldorado and couldn't even imagine that the USA would need aid from anyone. If anyone went around the streets of a Polish town collecting for victims of this tradegy, most people would probably think he was some sort of theif.I don't think the world is spitting in your face here, I just think that many countries can't imagine that the world's richest and most powerful nation would need anything from them. With regard to Poland again, you are probably aware that Poland makes up the third largest military presence in Iraq and that some of her soldiers have returned home in body bags.No offence intended.http://online.vatsimindicators.net/916312/3.png

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Fine Mark... Well I guess the flightsim community shouldn't have raised money (and front page space) for the crises over in the Indian Ocean but they did. I can't understand what the 'Double Standard' is all about. I could see if this disaster didn't affect simmers but it does. Actually more simmers will be directly affected by this than the Tsunami. The after effects will be felt well into the coming months for many of us let alone the simmers in harms way who no longer have homes to return to... Like many of you have already mentioned, this disaster is on too small a scale and therefore not worth the ink time... I guess we all just have to be fine with that.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Exactly. What about the vast number of people who died in that stampede in Iraq today? Surley someone in Iraq has a computer with FS on it?http://online.vatsimindicators.net/916312/3.png

Gavin Barbara

Now we have jokes... Good day everyone...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

>Avsim is a flight simulation site. What has happened as a>result of Hurricane Katrina, or come to that the Asian>Tsunami, the Iraq War or any other domestic or international>news is nothing to do with what this site is about. Nor>should it be.>>We are a community, yes, and people comment often on political>issues and assorted disasters in these forums; but don't knock>Avsim themselves for not carrying such things on their front>page. We come here for flight sim; if we want to learn about>world affairs, we turn on the television, read a newspaper or>go to CNN online or one of myriad other sites whose specific>business it is to report the news. Reporting the news is not>Avsim's responsibility.>>Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/Dar...humbsupblag.gif

>Actually more simmers will be directly affected by this than>the Tsunami. The after effects will be felt well into the>coming months for many of us let alone the simmers in harms>way who no longer have homes to return to... Where on earth do you get your statistics from, Dillon? ;)I don't wish to diminish the magnitude of the disaster that has resulted from Katrina for a moment; but you continue to assume that the US is the centre (center to you) of the universe. It is the center of yours, Dillon, perhaps; but why you assume that there are less simmers in Scandinavia, England, Indonesia, India and Thailand who were 'directly affected' by the Tsunami than by this latest disaster is beyond me. I think you should remember, when starting political threads of this nature, that this is an international forum. Judging by Sonar's insensitive attack on the Germans, earlier, he doesn't seem to realise that very often either. Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

I guess most people missed the story yesterday of the $1 million US donation from BP or the money being given to the Red Cross across Europe by ordinary people to aid victims of Katrina.

DillonI thought I'd written a rational post explaining why, in my opinion, which of course may be completely wrong, the prospect of offering aid to the US from some countries may not seem, to them, to be a serious option.It wasn't a joke. Why would you think it is? I don't see the tone of my post to be in any way offensive. If it is I unreservedly apologise and would be grateful if you could tell me which part you found offensive. Prehaps as well you could point me to the joke part because, try as I might, I can't find it.I hope you'll do me the honour of replying and that we can converse with each other in a mature way for, as I've just said, I mean you no offence at all.Best regards!http://online.vatsimindicators.net/916312/3.png

Gavin Barbara

And I would argue that the insensitivity was the reamrk made in Germany while people are dying along the Gulf Coast. But you make no mention of that do you?Thanks for demonstrating my point.typical...

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Good point, most of us come here to get away from reality for awhile. Tony=http://www.flightsim-bevs.com]BEVBetaSig.jpg

For you this appears to be a "cause celeb" to promote your political and / or social agenda - at least that's what I get from reading your posts.For me and many others - it about our family and friends who are still out of touch, whose homes may have been damaged or destroyed.Sorry if reality intrudes into your world.