Sign in to follow this  
betelgeuse

Thank Goodness for FS9

I've been sim flying and real world flying for a long time. Maybe too long!

I was first lured from FS9 to FSX because of generally better graphics and slick promotions. I lost some neat aspects of AI which I liked in FS9, but overall, the vastly improved scenery and addon weather programs made the trade off worthwhile for me; albeit it was an expensive transition.

I was lured to P3D by clever advertising when FSX was no longer under development. The story was that FSX was going nowhere, and by implication anyone who used it was going nowhere too!

I went through all the iterations of P3D until v4 at which point I gave up. Although I have a very capable PC in Win 10 64bit I experienced a lot of glitches with P3D, especially when trying to run addon programs with it - weather especially. I always ended up spending more time trying to get P3D to work than actually flying. I cut my losses and cut it out.

So, to get the 64bit advantage, I switched to X-plane 11. I even bought a new PC to run it. It has been a complete disaster. When X-Plane 11 runs, it runs well and is realistic. But, in my hands, to get it to run is a nightmare. Between flights, my yoke calibrations are lost, liveries often cannot be loaded, mouse clicks have no effect, engines won't start, brakes frequently do not release, doors won't open/close etc, etc.

So, tonight, after much time-wasting I have decided not to fly X-Plane again. I waste hours coaxing it to work. It should not be that way.

Now, I am running FS9 happily on a high spec PC without any problems whatsoever, bar one. I run it on W7. I am waiting for the new Microsoft release with bated breath.

At last, perhaps, I will get an advanced simulator which I can use without tearing out any more precious hair!

• Upvote 3

Supporter.png

John

All seems strange - never had a problem with 64bit P3D. Best sim I've ever had, and I began with a Commodore 64 and FS2

Edited by DavidP
  • Like 2

David Porrett

I still am on fs9 also despite having a very capable computer. Much invested in add ons and calibrating. I do also like aerofly fs2 for vfr playing around. A month ago I was going to head to p3d. With the new one coming from Microsoft I’m guessing I’ll just skip p3d completely. 

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

That`s the life of a virtual simmer, 50% preparing the simulator, 20% complaining and 30% flying, but if FS9 does all for you, enjoy.

Everyone is so excited about the new FS from MS, oh my, i have a feeling that there gonna be many crying.

• Like 2

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

5 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

Everyone is so excited about the new FS from MS, oh my, i have a feeling that there gonna be many crying.

MS has a pretty good track record in flight simulation. This is not the place for me to argue its case, though.

My problem now, which I touched on, is whether or not to re-install FS9 in Windows 10.

Supporter.png

John

12 hours ago, betelgeuse said:

Now, I am running FS9 happily on a high spec PC without any problems whatsoever, bar one. I run it on W7. I am waiting for the new Microsoft release with bated breath.

At last, perhaps, I will get an advanced simulator which I can use without tearing out any more precious hair!

You are aware, or should be, that the new to be released in 2020, (maybe) Microsoft Flight Simulator will only run in Windows 10, & not in Windows 7!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I think it's so important that whatever FS you use, it makes you happy, satisfied and fulfilled.   My son uses FS9 (he's 30) and is very happy. I use X Plane (I'm 70) and I'm very happy.  We are all individual human beings and that is very much reflected in which FS we like to use.  I'm not too excited about FS2020 as I'm sure there will be pros and cons, but I am excited that our hobby is flourishing and gives so many of us pleasure.

Pete

• Like 1

By the way, it's called Microsoft Flight Simulator, NOT FS2020!

I'm also a FS9'er, with about 6 different & themed installs of FS9, running perfectly in Windows 10.

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

I have my copy of fs9 since 2008. I spent a lot of time perfecting it and now I have a perfectly tweaked fs9 for 4 years now. It runs on a high end pc with Win10 and I have no problems. Everything works perfectly. The only thing I do is updating my AI traffic from AIG and my pc is loaded with repainted traffic. 

I found a second hand copy of FSX a few years ago and gave it a try. I tried it for an hour and removed it from my pc because the frame rates were terrible with the sliders on max. I dont want to try P3D because Im done with the hours of tweaking. I also spend a lot of money on Fs9.

Enough reasons to keep my Fs9. Its the best for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meesterlijk said:

I have my copy of fs9 since 2008. I spent a lot of time perfecting it and now I have a perfectly tweaked fs9 for 4 years now. It runs on a high end pc with Win10 and I have no problems. Everything works perfectly. The only thing I do is updating my AI traffic from AIG and my pc is loaded with repainted traffic. 

I found a second hand copy of FSX a few years ago and gave it a try. I tried it for an hour and removed it from my pc because the frame rates were terrible with the sliders on max. I dont want to try P3D because Im done with the hours of tweaking. I also spend a lot of money on Fs9.

Enough reasons to keep my Fs9. Its the best for me. 

Thanks for this. You sound just like me. At my age, every day counts so I want to fly, not tweak!

Having bought a new high end PC for X-plane on Windows 10, I have the luxury of installing a new FS9 version on this PC, and keeping my existing Windows 7 version of FS9.

Supporter.png

John

2 hours ago, betelgeuse said:

Thanks for this. You sound just like me. At my age, every day counts so I want to fly, not tweak.

Thanks to your reply, Im starting to feel old now. 

On 7/22/2019 at 1:23 AM, Wobbie said:

By the way, it's called Microsoft Flight Simulator, NOT FS2020!

I'm also a FS9'er, with about 6 different & themed installs of FS9, running perfectly in Windows 10.

Let's call it Dos Equis

• Like 1

I agree regarding FS9. I've had a flight sim going back to the early mid 1980's on floppy's and monochrome monitors. I was able to get a copy of FS9 before it was available for sale. Still to this day, I cannot get FSX to be as fluid as FS9. Same with P3DV4. I'm running a self build up to date system that kills it in fs9 but isn't so good in fsx and P3D.

What I'm really hoping in the "Dos Equis" version of Flight Simulator is the ability to maximize the simulator yet still have fluid performance with no lag, stutters or such that has plagued the brand for decades. I want to be able to experience all option, add on third party addons I choose and have a very runnable efficient system to enjoy instead of having to spend years constantly tweaking.

• Upvote 1

Thats what FS9 is all about, more flying time, no tweaking!

I have 6 different themed installs, Alaska, Ford Tri-Motor Project, Vintage, Heritage, Golden Wings, a default test install & even a dedicated Space install, using Carl Reddin's Space scenery, all working in Windows 10. As far as I know, no other sims allows for multiple installs.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...