Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

ATC : minimum, minimum

The FS ATC  was introduced in FS2K2 in 2001 and improved in FS9 in 2003, it is now 16 years old !  A revamping is long overdue. I  am under no illusion. I doubt that the new sim will offer a truly comprehensive ATC functionality.  But I hope it corrects at least few basic irritants like :

- vectoring an IFR flight to the destination airport much too early in the flight  

- the inability to raise ATIS/tower  on radio when the aircraft is more than 30 miles from the airport

- its inability to throw a curveball (like reducing speed, ordering a hold pattern)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I bet there will be no ATC at all.

Anyway an ATC without the capability of instructing SID-STARS and which doesn't know the gps position of a plane in relation to its flight plan and the various options, that would be a totally useless and cosmetic ATC, just like the one of FSX, if you remember it was totally useless.

The FSX (and P3D) ATC system is far from useless. It does a great job at and around airports (better than some people give it credit for). As for the new MFS.....I would be astonished if it does not have an ATC system, and one that is at least as good as that in FSX.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Mark II said:

I bet there will be no ATC at all.

Anyway an ATC without the capability of instructing SID-STARS and which doesn't know the gps position of a plane in relation to its flight plan and the various options, that would be a totally useless and cosmetic ATC, just like the one of FSX, if you remember it was totally useless.

always these pessimistic people. Stop speculating and wait. If the MSFS is released, do me the favor and do not play it.Such people as you have earned nothing new. Stay tuned with your current simulators!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

The FSX (and P3D) ATC system is far from useless. It does a great job at and around airports (better than some people give it credit for). As for the new MFS.....I would be astonished if it does not have an ATC system, and one that is at least as good as that in FSX.

Let's open a poll, and let jet pilots vote about FSX ATC 😁

I wonder why new products always have lawyers and soldiers, ah sorry I was forgetting, commercial interests, ok got it.

13 minutes ago, rjfry said:

You can always use XP with there superior ATC 😀.

Nope, I have never played XP because I am a P3D guy 😉, but I do not mean XP is bad, it is just that I prefer jets and P3D while the vast majority of MSFS 2020 fans are GA guys.

40 minutes ago, Mark II said:

while the vast majority of MSFS 2020 fans are GA guys.

Which statistical analysis have you looked at to deduce that?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, domkle said:

The FS ATC  was introduced in FS2K2 in 2001 and improved in FS9 in 2003, it is now 16 years old !  A revamping is long overdue. I  am under no illusion. I doubt that the new sim will offer a truly comprehensive ATC functionality.  But I hope it corrects at least few basic irritants like :

- vectoring an IFR flight to the destination airport much too early in the flight  

- the inability to raise ATIS/tower  on radio when the aircraft is more than 30 miles from the airport

- its inability to throw a curveball (like reducing speed, ordering a hold pattern)

ProATC X, has all this and more, for FSX and P3D

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

52 minutes ago, Mark II said:

Nope, I have never played XP because I am a P3D guy 😉, but I do not mean XP is bad, it is just that I prefer jets and P3D while the vast majority of MSFS 2020 fans are GA guys.

I think he was being sarcastic....😜

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

1 hour ago, SierraHotel said:

ProATC X, has all this and more, for FSX and P3D

You're quite right. There are good addons. I cannot but see that there are passionat debates on these forums about their respective merits though. 

But we are talking of the new sim features. Should it come with an ATC like it has since 2001 ? I think so. Could the ATC be incrementally  better than now (FSX or P3D) ? I think so too.

Should it goes all the way to a full ATC, the jury is out . 

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

It is  far from useless  and the close vectoring is not that bad. Agreed. But there is no separation (speed reduction, hold) and the approach vectoring starts much too early..

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I would love to see user voice interaction with ATC so the user can communicate with ATC without having to use the keyboard.

• Like 3

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I can’t even imagine master Shaolin level programming Kung fu skill it would take to have an ATC system that could pronounce half of the FAA intersection/waypoint/procedure names 🤪. ....it will take ALL the Azure they can throw at it. 🤣

• Like 1

Chris

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

Which statistical analysis have you looked at to deduce that?

Because roughly 90% of the guys who believe in MSFS 2020 like it was much more than God, they are GA guys, being them real GA pilots or GA simmers.

These numbers come from the answers in this forum section, but generally everywhere in the web.

F.I. Froogle has an opinion about MSFS 2020 very very very close to mine, we are the old school. GA pilots tend to be quite aggressive against who think MSFS will be nothing more than a quick banal meteor, that's easy to spot them.

2 minutes ago, Mark II said:

Froogle has an opinion about MSFS 2020 very very very close to mine

Ahhhhh....that explains so much. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Chris