Sign in to follow this  
Berlopez

DX Issue FSX\Gold

Just got a new used better computer to run FSX\ACCL.

Managed to install it with help,I must admit. The person who helped installed it into Microsoftgames by default and not directly into a folder in the C:\

I have an issue with DirectX Windows10 has DX11,as you all know. I don't have VC's in my addons or outside 3Dviews, tower the planes are invisible 😥

I have been adviced to download and install directX9c Instead, this is proving difficult for me, can anyone here guide me by the numbers ?

Thanks in advance:

Berlopez

New used computer? 

I think the first thing I would do is make sure all the drivers are updated. Do this either from Device Manager, or from manufacturer websites.

I know there are many theories on where to install FSX. I have never, ever had any problem installing to default locations. DX 11 is not the problem, I believe.

I think it  is important to, after a fresh installation (especially on an unknown machine), to first run the program "as is". No adjustments or tweaks. If it runs OK then make wanted changes.   

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

FSX runs DX10 (called DX10 Preview) or DX9 by changing the setting and restarting the simulator So a good idea is to try both modes. Perhaps one will work. Usually these problems are related to the addons installed. Did the Simulator work better before installing addons.

Trouble free FSX:

1. Install FSX to the stock location

Run at each stage to ensure FSX has initialised its settings.

2. On the FSX program files folder. properties. security. edit. on the Users group add Modify Allow (for addons that install in there).

3. Place a copy of UIAutomationcore.dll v6.0.5840.16386 in the FSX Folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\UIAutomationCore.dll

http://dllfiles.free.fr/dllfiles/UIAutomationCore.dll

4 Install Addons one at a time and test

Fly.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

bobbyjack. Thanks for your reply, yes a used machine is what I could afford here in DK, computers are awfuly expensive here specially with the specs required to run FSX, reason why i stuck to my windows 7 (32) for 13 years, which I also bought used at the same outlet and has run problemfree for all these years, until it began to hick-up because of my adding stuff to FSX. I just went to Device Manager and all drivers have been updated.My main issue is I don't have the DX preview box in the graphics tab and I don't have the D3D10=0 IN the [GRAPHICS] section of the FSX.cfg file. When I typre DXdiag in the search box under Start I get DX12

SteveW By Stock location you mean C:\Program Files (x86) Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X; That's where mine resides. ( Though I was adviced to install in a folder directly in my C:\.

Thanks all for your advice.

Berlopez

Do you have an addon running that's called SweetFX?  That kills the DX10 Preview option in your settings.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Might I inject something here?

Though I might have missed it (it's been a tremendously busy day on the third party developer side today), but I don't believe anyone mentioned FSX Steam Edition (FSX:SE).

FSX:SE is the FSX Acceleration with some very important optimizations.  Perhaps the two most important are:

1. No need to worry about installing to the Program Files X86 folder.  So, so long as you don't install to the Program Files folder (which is for 64-bit applications), you really don't need to be concerned with where you install the program.  Moreover, being able to install FSX:SE to the default location will prevent problems that some addon applications have with FSX/FSX:SE installed elsewhere (in other words, no having to manually edit paths).  There aren't too many third party addons left that have problems with this, but there are a few (I can't remember which ones they are). 

2. MS created a bug when they updated / "optimized" FSX for multi-processors. This bug resulted in Autogen being run on two cores at the same time.  Not different autogen calculations, but the same exact calculations which are essentially repeated on the second core. FSX:SE corrected this, reducing the over all processor usage when the program is running. It's a big deal for those who run harder hitting addons like high-end payware airliners and airport scenery.

The list of addons that are not compatible with FSX:SE is, I believe, down to about 3 addons, one being "Sound Stream"  from flight one, which is an application that few people even know about and even fewer run.  It basically allows sound to continue if the FSX window is not in focus. Of course you can always check to ensure your addons are compatible with FSX:SE.

FSX:SE is often on sale, and can be purchased for as little as $5 USD.

If it were my system, I wouldn't even consider running any other rversion of FSX. In fact, I an FSX:SE for several years, before switching to P3D.

I hope this has been helpful to you my friend.

My very best wishes!

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

2 hours ago, Berlopez said:

bobbyjack. Thanks for your reply, yes a used machine is what I could afford here in DK, computers are awfuly expensive here specially with the specs required to run FSX, reason why i stuck to my windows 7 (32) for 13 years, which I also bought used at the same outlet and has run problemfree for all these years, until it began to hick-up because of my adding stuff to FSX. I just went to Device Manager and all drivers have been updated.My main issue is I don't have the DX preview box in the graphics tab and I don't have the D3D10=0 IN the [GRAPHICS] section of the FSX.cfg file. When I typre DXdiag in the search box under Start I get DX12

SteveW By Stock location you mean C:\Program Files (x86) Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X; That's where mine resides. ( Though I was adviced to install in a folder directly in my C:\.

Thanks all for your advice.

Berlopez

DX10 comes in with the second part of the Gold installation, the acceleration upgrade. I checked one of Jim Young's older posts on this subject. He says to reinstall the second part of Gold again which is a good idea. The resolution was to remove a shortcut in the end but it depends on what's gone on.

The stock location of FSX boxed is safe because the addons know where that is. Most problems come from relocating FSX.

The reason some prefer to install in a folder is because they own the folder and they have automatic access to it, so addons work if they are installed there as well.

The Modify Allow permission is the correct way to provide access and continue with FSX and Addons unaffected by problems relating to private folders.

FSX:SE has a completely different permissions structure to FSX Boxed which few can correctly describe, and comes with its own set of problems like any simulator.

Edited by SteveW

4 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

2. MS created a bug when they updated / "optimized" FSX for multi-processors. This bug resulted in Autogen being run on two cores at the same time.  Not different autogen calculations, but the same exact calculations which are essentially repeated on the second core. FSX:SE corrected this, reducing the over all processor usage when the program is running. It's a big deal for those who run harder hitting addons like high-end payware airliners and airport scenery.

I was pretty sure that I knew everything about FSX and FSX SE, this information is new for me lol, thanks Dave 😄

Walter Almaraz

4.jpg

4 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

"Sound Stream"  from flight one

One of my favorite apps,which is why I haven't jumped from FSX to FSX:SE even though I own a copy.

Ernest Pergrem

Just now, airernie said:

One of my favorite apps,which is why I haven't jumped from FSX to FSX:SE even though I own a copy.

Ah-ha!  So you are the other person who bought it!  LOL!

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

9 minutes ago, Walter Almaraz said:

I was pretty sure that I knew everything about FSX and FSX SE, this information is new for me lol, thanks Dave 😄

You are most welcome my friend!

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

I'll certainly be sleeping easier now Dave! lol

The fact is that it should be an easy fix with what he has. FSX boxed is installed in the right place and we all know FSX boxed works well. So long as an addon is not messing around with it. Really no need to worry about ditching boxed for SE to fix this. In any case each has their merits. I would undo some addons if the reinstall of the Acceleration disk doesn't help.

23 minutes ago, SteveW said:

I'll certainly be sleeping easier now Dave! lol

The fact is that it should be an easy fix with what he has. FSX boxed is installed in the right place and we all know FSX boxed works well. So long as an addon is not messing around with it. Really no need to worry about ditching boxed for SE to fix this. In any case each has their merits. I would undo some addons if the reinstall of the Acceleration disk doesn't help.

Love you too Steve!  :cool:

Dave Hodges

I felt it was better to concentrate first on fixing what he has.

There could be any number of caveats and problems related to switching over that could end in tears, rather than Ray-Bans.

Hi Berlopez,

"By the numbers..." well not so easy! there are caveats and warnings, but below info may help you update DX9c in Win10.

I'm still using Win7/64, (for now at least) but will most likely be forced to move on to Win10/64. DirectX11 is native to Win7 but provides backwards compatibility for DX10 & DX9 DX9b DX9c, (meaning that it contains the DX components for earlier DirectX API's). Having said that, Win10 uses DX12 (native) with backward compatibility for DX9 DX10 & DX11 (Your Graphics Hardware will determine use of DX11 or DX12 API). Your OS and the Graphics card (Hardware) and FSX ServicePack 2/ AccelerationPack (not applicable for FSX:SE because SE has SP1 & AccPack included) will determine which DirectX components / runtimes are required for FSX (DX10 API for PreviewDX10/ With or without SteveP's DX10Fixer), (DX9c for Default FSX DX9 mode, if updated to SP1,2 or AccelerationPack).

Your Graphics Hardware will determine the level of DirectX compatibility (900 1000 2000 series cards are all DX12 compatible along with DX9 DX10 DX11), my old GTX770 only complies with DX11.2 under Win7 and of course backward compatibility with DX9 DX10.

Because Win10 uses DX12 with backwards compatibility (DX9 DX10 DX11) there may still be DX9c Runtimes that have not been updated via the FSX:DVD installer AccPack or Windows update processes.

In Win7 I am able to use the DX9c "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" which updates all DirectX9c Runtimes, up to last available June 2010 updates. The installer requirements state compatibility with (Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Service Pack 3) but I would imagine the webinstaller could update DX9c Runtimes in Win10, though I have not tested my theory.

Here is the link to the "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" run it at your own risk, it will require accepting the use agreement, it will also find the correct OS installation folder automatically, scan current DX9 runtimes and install missing or non up-to-date components. You can choose "Run" on install or "Save" to run later
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Caveat: There is a school of users claiming that because the OS requirements don't list Win10 as compatible, there would/could possibly screwup the win10 installation, because the installer may not recognise the File/Folder structure in Win10. (Again I have not tested this theory)

If you have installed FSX correctly including SPs or AccelerationPack and you have Compatible Graphics hardware, and still don't see the DX10Preview box or (Native DX9c mode is stating errors), DX9c Runtime updates may indeed be required. 
There is also a requirement for updating your MS VisualC++ components (Windows update does not always do a good job with this). (See Jim Young's AVSIM guides on how to do this) 

Another thing which can screwup DirextX in FSX, is when an installer places a file in your root FSX installation called "dxgi.dll", you might search for this file in your FSX root installation Folder, Create a folder in the FSX installation called DXGI-OUT and move/cut/paste it into that folder.