Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Aug. 29th : the dash vid

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 10:13 AM, Paraffin said:

Just a minor nitpick, but I'm hoping the rain effect changes with airspeed, most visible at low speed or taxi, and then thinning out and disappearing at higher speeds.

Have you driven through pounding rain at highway speeds lately? Even with my wipers on highest speed I have trouble seeing past the hood of my car! There were plenty of streaks moving up the windshield.

I only hope that we can model the wipers to work at least as well as SCS has done in their ATS and ETS2!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Little too early to dissect and question every little thing, specifically from these earlier builds. Clearly MS is way ahead of the cuve in this process and knows what they are doing… which is basically blowing our minds atm. 

Edited by rjetster1

I'm a commercial pilot and have flown my share of IFR in different aircraft.

I've never seen anything like the strange reflection in this video, and it caught my eye immediately (not in a good way).

The rain is also never pronounced like it is here, but that one I'll let slide.

Everything else is amazing so far.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, rjetster1 said:

Little too early to dissect and question every little thing, specifically from these earlier builds. Clearly MS is way ahead of the cuve in this process and knows what they are doing… which is basically blowing our minds atm. 

No it is not too early.  It will be too late when the team rolls out the beta. This is maybe why they show us these early builds. For us to criticize. This open (at least a little) process is most interesting. 

Ahead of the curve ? I don't agree either. Compared to what/ whom ? They update our sim to the techniques used in complex games for years.

I like what I've seen so far but let's keep our mind open. They need our comments more than our praises. 

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

7 hours ago, n4gix said:

SCS has done in their ATS and ETS2!

<cough, cough > Which are in plain English ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Just now, mccracken said:

American Truck Simulator and Euro Truck Simulator 2

thanks

Dominique

9 hours ago, Gulfstream said:

I'm a commercial pilot and have flown my share of IFR in different aircraft.

I've never seen anything like the strange reflection in this video, and it caught my eye immediately (not in a good way).

I think the reflection is more due to the fact that the aircraft is inverted and doing aerobatics than it is to being in IMC (or MVFR) conditions.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 4:13 PM, Paraffin said:

If we're really picking nits on this one, the rain effect on the canopy looks to me like a fixed effect, not responding to the airflow over the plane as it goes through the loop and then the roll towards the end. I'm not sure you'd actually see individual rain drops sticking to the canopy at these speeds either.

Just a minor nitpick, but I'm hoping the rain effect changes with airspeed, most visible at low speed or taxi, and then thinning out and disappearing at higher speeds.

Hi Paraffin. Maybe the top image here is a later build? but there does appear to be some recognition of airspeed shown in the rain fall.

rain.jpg

rain2.jpg

Edited by dtrjones
  • Upvote 2

On 8/31/2019 at 8:03 PM, Noooch said:

I remember FSW had this feature, raindrops moving according to speed.

Dovetail was very proud of that.

Yes but there runways was always dry LOL. I know Dovetail were working pretty hard on PBR materials outside the aircraft but that never came to friutition, neither did night lighting or anything which didn't sport a propeller.... Still the seeds of inspiration for that sim do seem to have flown over the skies of Redmond...

Ok so I wasn't sure what that weird reflection was either for a while but i took the time to look at it today. Everyone who said it is the horizon is spot on and this has sent my hype through the roof again. No more BS reflections! this is incredible!

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

On 9/1/2019 at 11:09 PM, Gulfstream said:

I've never seen anything like the strange reflection in this video, and it caught my eye immediately (not in a good way)

Ever did a loop in those conditions in an aircraft with a canopy like that?

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.