Sign in to follow this  
jozeff

How much will my p3dv4 VR experience improve?

Hi fellow flight friends,

Jumped the VR wagon almost 3 years ago and spend a lot of money on a Oculus rift, extra memory and an overclocked gtx970 back then.

I have been having a lot of fun with several flight Sims but kept coming back to p3dv4 because of the performance and colours. I mostly fly in mono VR because I find that a good experience and I can read the gauges much better that way. My system is minimal for VR flying but it was ok as long as it lasts. Bought flyinside for p3dv4 but it kept crashing and native vr is very stable.

Now on to my question....

I'm thinking about the HP reverb and a system to run it (2070, new Intel processor and motherboard etc.).

How much will my VR  xperience improve by spending all that money?

The deal breaker right now (Oculus rift) is low resolution.  Screen door effect doesn't bother me that much but the shimmering and blocky graphics are starting to annoy me more and more. The experience feels like I'm in my son's PlayStation 2 games and that is not necessarily a good thing.

A rift S is an option but I've been reading that this might not feel like a major jump coming from the rift.

Should I make the jump and spend 2500 Euro or wait..... Waiting in PC land can last forever if you realize that today's money is twice the value in 2 years.

What's you opinion?

Thanks a lot!!

Don't make the same mistake you made years ago. The GTX 970 was never powerful enough for the original rift to run sufficient supersampling to get rid of the shimmering and blockiness. Make sure you pair the next headset with the graphics card perfectly. I doubt a HP Reverb and a 2070 card are a good team. Also, make sure you get a i7 9700k eight core processor nothing less.

Ok thanks!

Well a 2070 is a high end card which costs like 600 Euro.

What would I need to run the reverb property then. I'm not planning to spend 1200 Euro on a graphics card actually.

I don't need all the settings high or ultra but I want to have a sharp image and mono VR in p3d  is also ok for me. This way you get way way more fps and yet you feel like you are in the airplane. The size is not correct as in real vr but nevertheless it is enjoying for me.

Is there anyone with a 2070 and hp reverb who is satisfied?

Thanks again!

Jozeff

I think about a pimax 8k

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

There's a thread in the VR forum where someone says running the hp reverb on 1070 works, let alone a 2070. 

On 9/29/2019 at 3:50 PM, glider1 said:

I doubt a HP Reverb and a 2070 card are a good team

Hi, Can you say more about what you mean here ?  I get the fact that a lot of people dont see value (bang/buck) in the 2070's generally,  but would like to understand more about what refer to above.    

I'm on CV1 right now and will upgrade soon, and Reverb is the leader.  My card is 1080Ti.  

cheers, 

JB

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

2 hours ago, joby33y said:

Hi, Can you say more about what you mean here ?  I get the fact that a lot of people dont see value (bang/buck) in the 2070's generally,  but would like to understand more about what refer to above.    

I'm on CV1 right now and will upgrade soon, and Reverb is the leader.  My card is 1080Ti.  

cheers, 

JB

I'm going off intuition not facts.

To me a HP Reverb + RTX 2070 feels wrong for flight sim but it would be fine for other purposes. Instead of getting the best GPU you can afford, you are putting your money into just another 110FOV headset from an inexperienced VR company and it is not even OLED like the vive pro.

To me an Oculus Rift-S or Oculus Quest with PC-link (not yet available) teamed with an RTX 2080 makes more sense. For the same money you are getting the best GPU you can afford with a cheaper headset that is still 110FOV and has acceptable resolution from a company that really knows VR. The quest will even be OLED and it will support hand tracking.

Personally I'm waiting to see what the Pimax 8K+ reviews are like. That to me is a genuine upgrade from a CV1. I am still happily on the CV1 supersampling the old headset with a beefy GPU bringing the clarity up to acceptable levels.

On 9/30/2019 at 11:25 AM, jozeff said:

Ok thanks!

What would I need to run the reverb property then. I'm not planning to spend 1200 Euro on a graphics card actually.

Ditto as above, don't do the same mistake you already did 3 years ago. The GTX 970 was a midrange card, I used to have a GTX 980 and when I switched to a 1080Ti the change was *easily* noticed, especially in VR.

Today, the 2070 it's still a mid-range card, simply more expensive that a mid-range card of 3 years ago because...nVidia is not cheap, unfortunately.

If you don't want to spend too much, your best options would be:

- A 2080 Super

- A USED 1080Ti. Don't discount this option, it's still better than many newer cards, due to the 11GB of VRAM

- Go to AMD. The new 5700-XT is a champion of price performance ratio, since it will give you almost the same performances of a 2070S, with a lower price:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-5700-XT-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2070S-Super/4045vs4048

A RTX 2070 Super is a decent card though...the original is meh.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I’m not sure if you use any tool like the Oculus Debug Tool to increase the pixel density (PD) but I find it essential and very beneficial. I increase to 1.6 and turn ASW off using the tool. I keep my eye candy settings relatively low. I recently moved from the Rift CV1 to the Rift S and have no regrets. I am very pleased with the clarity and ability to read gauges as is a friend of mine.

I run an overclocked GTX 1070 and it works well. My friend runs a 1080 Ti which works better. The key is to increase pixel density at least to 1.5. Other apps like DCS and Aerofly have this built in but not P3D also running in Single Pass Rendering (SPR) mode is key.

I am just now upgrading to a new PC build with my first addition being an EVGA RTX 2080 Ti and expect to see even better performance. 

Bottom line for me Rift S was an improvement, must use a tool to increase PD, I find disabling ASW is less jittery, and SPR setting in 3D is also a must coupled with reasonable settings in P3D.

Good luck

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

33 minutes ago, joepoway said:

I’m not sure if you use any tool like the Oculus Debug Tool to increase the pixel density (PD) but I find it essential and very beneficial. I increase to 1.6

Same here - it’s part of my startup checklist for every P3D flight.  

Please post here with your experiences with the new build & 2080Ti - hope it works out great.  I would like to know what CPU & MoBo you’re picking too.  

John

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

Hi guys?

Since  I started this topic 😜😜 a little question

I'm planning on buying the rift S.

What I'd like to purchase also are...

i7 9700 k

MSI Z390-A PRO motherboard

Msi 2070 super

32gb 3200 Kingston memory

Do you think this is going to work?

Thanks for any advice!!

Jozeff

On 9/30/2019 at 11:25 AM, jozeff said:

Ok thanks!

I don't need all the settings high or ultra but I want to have a sharp image and mono VR in p3d  is also ok for me. This way you get way way more fps and yet you feel like you are in the airplane. The size is not correct as in real vr but nevertheless it is enjoying for me.

Is there anyone with a 2070 and hp reverb who is satisfied?

Thanks again!

Jozeff

We have had contact earlier. Don't spent your money on a 2070. I have tested for a week the Reverb with a 2070-S and it was a big disappointment. On paper it is just as fast as a 1080ti but my old 1060-6Gb performed near the same.... Why? Lack of enough Vram so every 8Gb card will be a disappointment with the Reverb. Remember, it's a above 4K VR system. Go and find your self a used (Second Hand) 1080ti minimum card. I have wrote it on other forums also and a couple of smart guys yelling that a 1080 is enough, well, don't listen to them. My 1060 was also running nice (in 60hz and re-projecting to 45 fps) to cope the demands. but my reverb begun to shine with my (also second hand bought) TitanXP Xplane11, Prepar3Dv45 and even Aerofly are using very often above 8Gb Vram with the Reverb. 1080ti-TitanXp-2080ti is the way to go for flightsimming with the Reverb.

Happy landings.....

7 hours ago, virtuali said:

Ditto as above, don't do the same mistake you already did 3 years ago. The GTX 970 was a midrange card, I used to have a GTX 980 and when I switched to a 1080Ti the change was *easily* noticed, especially in VR.

Today, the 2070 it's still a mid-range card, simply more expensive that a mid-range card of 3 years ago because...nVidia is not cheap, unfortunately.

If you don't want to spend too much, your best options would be:

- A 2080 Super

- A USED 1080Ti. Don't discount this option, it's still better than many newer cards, due to the 11GB of VRAM

- Go to AMD. The new 5700-XT is a champion of price performance ratio, since it will give you almost the same performances of a 2070S, with a lower price:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-5700-XT-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2070S-Super/4045vs4048

Totally agree with your second hand 1080ti advice for VR and especially the Reverb....... stay away from every 8Gb card, period, I;m talking NO Nonsense.... It's my own experience and glad I have 12Gb now with a TitanXP for the Reverb. Fast cards are fast with other games, Flightsim is different

Edited by simba_nl

Thanks a lot!

Because of your advice I'm not planning on buying the reverb.

You convinced me I need a 2080ti and that is really not in my budget.

As I mentioned above I'm looking for the following to accompany my Rift S. Would that work?

i7 9700 k

MSI Z390-A PRO motherboard

Msi 2070 super

32gb 3200 Kingston memory

Thanks for your useful advice!!

A VR flight experience is for fun, a few hours a week. My wife gets hickups when she sees the 2080ti prices 😄😄

Jozeff

Edited by jozeff