Sign in to follow this  
pilotforhire

A Boeing Driver Considering Airbus

57 minutes ago, vadriver said:

michael

i was hoping to hear about atc addons in particular .... they seem to be a "tad" problematic with the "tier one" aircraft such as the pmdg 777, so thus my interest in how the FSL320 might or might not be compatible.

one's investment in voxatc / p2a / and even patc far exceeds the cost of FSL .... 

someone other than me has to step in there as i only use Vatsim

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

On 10/23/2019 at 3:06 AM, jon b said:

I also have the first world problem of having to switch from 23 years on (RW) Boeing over to Airbus , and the FSL 320 has been recommended to me for learning the Airbus way. I also have the FF A320 and A350, and the JAR 330 on x plane as it’s my preferred platform but from what I’ve read they’re not as accurate as the FSL.

If you're starting RW conversion, check out V1Simulations and Blackbox711 channels on youtube.  Both A320 Captains, both very knowledgeable with excellent videos and teaching styles.  FSL is definitely the better version with many more features accurately modeled.

Jeff Callender

Jeff Callender

On 10/24/2019 at 1:39 PM, FDEdev said:

Furthermore reading that FSL has now completely redesigned stick input logic, flare logic and the flaps ballooning effect, makes me wonder why such essential items where apparently way off for so long?

The essential items you speak of are not what anyone ever regarded as essential including many real world pilots me included. Essential..no.

In short these characteristics where added to show the nuances of exactly how an A320 family aircraft flies.

These tiny characteristic changes in multiple areas are what where added. Minor changes in tiny regions of the flight envelope that are distinctly there for "character".

Something not modelled by any other manufacturer of aircraft for P3D.

To do this the Elac programming was i believe entirely re-written to accomodate numerous changes that as pilots we asked for to take the flight model to a point so far beyond any other aircraft ever in P3D.

Using a normal flight model this is completely impossible in P3D hence only two manufacturers use to my knowledge external flight model stuff, Majestic with their wonderful dash and FSL.

You wont hear the devs sprooking it because its just the way they are. 

They want the most accurate aircraft in the sim and thats exactly what it is right now not because it as you say “essential items where way off” but because the pilots on the team and the devs wanted the little things that truly make it have the tiny characteristics of the real aircraft that make it unique.

Every step needed tweaking and rewriting from sidestick to elac to flight model so as to accomodate these minor changes that set this aircraft up on a pedestal as easily the most complex and accurate ever released.

When pilots go looking through flight modelling for minor handling nuances that make an aircraft unique and a dev spends months rewriting the essential code to meet those requests is the perfect example of why its on such a pedestal.

Essential? Certainly not, but the unique minor handling characteristics is something pilots like me wanted to show off that sets this Airbus at the top of the addon heap by some margin.

I am 777/787 type rated these days full time left seat 787 after 15 years on Airbus and no other software provider gets close to the accuracy of this addon. This is for both handling and basing pre flight setup( not pushing buttons but load data entry, loading, payload adjustments etc), handling, actual de-icing with accurate flight dynamic effects if you dont yes including far higher stall epeeds and accuracy on what really happens on a narrow body flight deck.

Anyone who thinks a 737 or A320 loads and boards at flight planned weights and loads has no idea what happens every flight in the real world.

Other devs have never tried to model what its like to not only fly but “operate” a narrow body jet..ever.

No other dev has tried anything so ambitious in any sim..ever. Thats why i got involved with them they want accuracy and reality.

Something forgotten but primarily simply not known is how integrated Airbus systems are compared to most Boeings. Computers talk to one another and directly effect what others do.

Aircon needs cooler air to respond to a temp selection change so Aircon packs need more air on the ground so they send a signal to the Fadecs to bump up engine idle speed so more air can be ducted off so now rpm increases causing taxi speed to change.

Thats what happens in reality, thats what happens in FSLabs and why consider it easily and clearly the best addon ever released..bar none.

Edited by DEHowie
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Darren Howie

On 10/22/2019 at 8:45 PM, pilotforhire said:

Hello Everyone.

As the title says, I've flown nothing but Boeings my entire flight sim career and I'm looking to switch things up a bit and learn something new. Heavily considering picking up the FSL Airbus but I'm just looking for some input or maybe other personal experiences on how transitioning to a completely different aircraft is. How steep is the learning curve with Airbuses systems? Thanks for the input

Be prepared for an amazing aircraft and journey plus a lot of fun... As for the learning curve personally it wasn't steep at all...😎

• Like 1

André

On 10/24/2019 at 11:44 PM, jbcallender said:

If you're starting RW conversion, check out V1Simulations and Blackbox711 channels on youtube.  Both A320 Captains, both very knowledgeable with excellent videos and teaching styles.  FSL is definitely the better version with many more features accurately modeled.

Jeff Callender

Thanks Jeff, I’ve had a brief look at blackbox before but not seen the V1 stuff I’ll take a look.

The conversation is still potentially 2 years away, I’m just trying to break myself into it gradually having been Boeing for over 20 years. Because it’s for work I can justify buying all the expensive add ons. However, again because it’s work when I sit in front of my sim I just can’t be bothered and end up either in a PA38 or an F18 and having  some fun instead.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1.