Sign in to follow this  
pilotforhire

A Boeing Driver Considering Airbus

2 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

Some of you will know I've been endlessly considering getting the FSLA320. The thing that keeps scaring me is the performance aspect. I keep hearing how demanding this plane is for your computer, and given the price of the addon, I've always found it difficult to hand over the money without having an idea of how well it'll function (what's the point of getting the FSL A320 for my European routes, especially to fly into the likes of EGLL, EHAM, LFPG and EDDF, if it'll be a slideshow?). With PMDG it's generally been an easier sell since I have experience with their addons. So, how does the FSL compare to some of other planes out there, performance-wise? E.g. in comparison to PMDG 737GX, 777 and 747, or QW787, TFDi 717, the Maddog...

FPS INDEX FSL

PMDG

737=90

777=80

747=95

QW787=85-95

Michael Moe

I7-4770K GTX1080TI 

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

15 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

FPS INDEX FSL

PMDG

737=90

777=80

747=95

QW787=85-95

Michael Moe

I7-4770K GTX1080TI 

Thanks! But what is the value of the FSL compared to those?

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

3 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

Thanks! But what is the value of the FSL compared to those?

ITS an index so everything else is 100%

Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

12 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

ITS an index so everything else is 100%

Michael Moe 

That’s what I presumed, just wanted to confirm. So in your hands the FSL actually performs better than the others? That’s... surprising? For me the NGX has always been the best performing jetliner in my hangar.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

1 hour ago, Benjamin J said:

That’s what I presumed, just wanted to confirm. So in your hands the FSL actually performs better than the others? That’s... surprising? For me the NGX has always been the best performing jetliner in my hangar.

No the other way Around 

Its FSL index related to the others below. 

FSL performs index 90 RELATED TO the NGX for instance 

Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Mod delete this please.

Why is it not possible to delete your own post if it screwed up?

Edited by cowpatz

Cheers

Steve Hall

2 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

No the other way Around 

Its FSL index related to the others below. 

FSL performs index 90 RELATED TO the NGX for instance 

Michael Moe 

Ooooh, that makes way more sense now. Okay, that gives me some numbers to work with. Thanks!

Benjamin van Soldt

7 hours ago, domkle said:

First link is dead (We could not locate the item you are trying to view.)

The problem is your end the links even work on my iPad.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

16 hours ago, FDEdev said:

The A320 flies like any other aircraft during the approach, the only difference is the roll increased stability and that you don't trim. 

That's exactly the problem.

With a normal airplane, I can look outside for lineup and slope, and feel the airspeed by stick. if I feel the airplane droping, or I needed hold back on the stick to keep on glide slope, I know I was slow and need more power, If I feel I'm raising and need to keep press on the stick to maintain slope, I know I was fast and need less power. I only need a glimpse on speedo about ever 5 seconds or even longer.

But with C* law, I can't feel that with stick, the computer trim it out for me, unless the speed hit α-floor or Vmo, 5 seconds off the speedo could send me more than 10 knots off the Vapp without noticing.

I's not only Airbus, F16 use C* as well, but it come with HUD and AOA bracket for approach, no need to refer speed. Meanwhile F18 use C* for normal flight but C*U for approach, and 777/787/A220 they all use C*U for speed stability

10 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

Some of you will know I've been endlessly considering getting the FSLA320. The thing that keeps scaring me is the performance aspect. I keep hearing how demanding this plane is for your computer, and given the price of the addon, I've always found it difficult to hand over the money without having an idea of how well it'll function (what's the point of getting the FSL A320 for my European routes, especially to fly into the likes of EGLL, EHAM, LFPG and EDDF, if it'll be a slideshow?). With PMDG it's generally been an easier sell since I have experience with their addons. So, how does the FSL compare to some of other planes out there, performance-wise? E.g. in comparison to PMDG 737GX, 777 and 747, or QW787, TFDi 717, the Maddog...

Don't forget the issue overing their anti-piracy stance I decided then and there not to give them my money.

• Like 1

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

1 hour ago, VBHB said:

Don't forget the issue overing their anti-piracy stance I decided then and there not to give them my money.

+1  e.g.  https://medium.com/@lukegorman97/flightsimlabs-alleged-malware-analysis-1427c4d23368

Furthermore reading that FSL has now completely redesigned stick input logic, flare logic and the flaps ballooning effect, makes me wonder why such essential items where apparently way off for so long?

Edited by FDEdev

3 hours ago, C2615 said:

1. With a normal airplane, I can look outside for lineup and slope, and feel the airspeed by stick. 

2. I only need a glimpse on speedo about ever 5 seconds or even longer.

3. But with C* law, I can't feel that with stick, the computer trim it out for me, unless the speed hit α-floor.

4. I's not only Airbus, F16 use C* as well, but it come with HUD and AOA bracket for approach, no need to refer speed. 

1. That might be true but that's not the way to fly a jet transport aircraft.

2. See point 1. Where else would you look at during an approach every few seconds?

3. That's incorrect. E.g. in clean config below ~230kts there's no flight path stability. With decreasing speed the ROD starts to increase. 

4. The A320s flight path vector also shows the AOA. Btw, you do need to trim the F-16 during the approach since the FBW stabilizes the aircraft at 10deg AoA but the correct approach speed/AoA is higher.  Anything slower/faster than 10deg requires stick or trim input.

In unaccelerated 1G flight, like on the approach, it makes no difference if you are referring to AoA or speed.  

That said, that's why I always mention that the Airbus doesn't have any feel and it's sterile. It's like playing ace combat.

Nevertheless airline pilot don't have any problems flying it and they are usually getting used to it within a few minutes.

Edited by FDEdev

What FDEDev said above,

I flew the airbus for 10 years and only ever came across normal law, alternate law (with and without protections) and direct law. I know there are a few others (ground, flare etc) that are sort of sub laws and I appreciate I was never into the painful detail of it all, but what on earth is C* and C*U law.

Comparing the flight control laws of an F16 with that of an airbus seems to be missing the point, fly it like an airliner and you'll be fine.

I've said this numerous times on this subject, nearly always to people that have never flown the airbus (but hate it nonetheless), just fly it like a normal aircraft. Ignore the flight control laws, nose up, pull back, nose down, push forward. As FDEDev said, it takes a few minutes in the sim to get used to it.

Don't over think it, it's just an aeroplane.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

ASP4 weather , FS2CREW, (build in remote MCDU for tablet/browser) , GREAT GSX integration

michael

i was hoping to hear about atc addons in particular .... they seem to be a "tad" problematic with the "tier one" aircraft such as the pmdg 777, so thus my interest in how the FSL320 might or might not be compatible.

one's investment in voxatc / p2a / and even patc far exceeds the cost of FSL .... 

for now, cheers

john martin