How do most simmers control the nose wheel steering while taxiing around the airport?   Rudder pedals, keyboard controls from the knee pad?

I use CH rudder pedals along with a Honeycomb flight yoke.   Prior, I used a Saitek joystick which allowed me to turn fairly easily on the ground and around the parking areas.

P3DV4.

Thanks in advance for your help!

John

Brunner force feedback rudder pedals.  Very realistic.  You can't turn the nosewheel on the A2A C172 with the rudders unless the aircraft is moving.  The faster the aircraft goes, the less force required to use the nosewheel rudders,  That's how actual C172's handle--like Mack trucks!

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Commercial Jetliners have a tiller for the groundsteering. That´s waht i use in my A320. The rudder is controlled by pedals.

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

A typical airliner, the Boeing 737 will give you 8' of nose wheel steering capability through the rudder pedals alone. You can increase using nose wheel castor by applying differential braking but that's as much as nearly all First officers have at their disposal.

Captain's have a Tiller. Few 737s have a right side tiller (one of ours out of 58) though larger aircraft tend to spec them.

In the Sim, you need an analogue axis to achieve this. If you use a joystick with twist rudder you can use this, or a more realistic option would be a spare throttle mounted on the left side. The 737 Tiller is mounted sideways. using FSUIPC is probably your only way in FSX or P3D but I'm not sure as i only play DCS at present. 

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

I would love to see a plug and play, purpose built hardware tiller available.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I use the z-axis (twist) on side joystick for tiller while pedal for rudder, wokrs great.

VKB-SGC-L comes with a hard Z axis so you don't likely to move it accidentally. and it's the few even had Z axis within $300~400 range, also the only one I know with left hand grip.

On 10/30/2019 at 9:02 PM, regis9 said:

I would love to see a plug and play, purpose built hardware tiller available.

Regis: I have CH pedals, etc. I asked CH about building a tiller, and was told no.Nobody makes, or sells tillers that i know of. I see videos of homemade full scale flightdecks with them. I would like to see a plug n play system also.I think the pedal electronics can be used to make a tiller.✈️

48 minutes ago, LesOReilly said:

https://www.jetmax.ca/components/jetmax-str

They have one -- though I am sure you will need to use an Arduino or Leo Bodnar Board to interface it.....The probably rely on linking into one of the other products since it mentions the TQ...

Thanks Les.I thought the ones in the videos were home built, or something from a simulator.Too expensive for me.!!! Thanks again.

6 hours ago, Paul Deluca said:

Thanks Les.I thought the ones in the videos were home built, or something from a simulator.Too expensive for me.!!! Thanks again.

I am sure there are plenty of them that are home built.....This is not hard to build you need a single axis and then two springs to make it self centre...

Les O'Reilly