Sign in to follow this  
aviator1213

Recommendations for PC Build for MSFS2020?

2 hours ago, ckyliu said:

Yikes, I'm on a 2500K (albeit overclocked to 4.5 GHz from 3.3) and GTX980, am I screwed? 🤣

Not necessarily, we really don't know anything yet. You may just have to accept that, on your system, it probably won't look like the trailers and videos?

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 11/10/2019 at 7:07 PM, Avidean said:

The $1500 will get you the 2080ti. Whats the budget for the rest of the system? 😁

I'm in a similar boat w/ wanting to assemble a new system as my current system is about 6y/o now.  Tell me if you have some insight into this question which will help me decide how much to spend on a new video card.

Right now my original GTX Titan is almost exactly half the performance (PassMark) of an RTX 2080Ti.  With my Titan, paired w/  SB-E 3930K at 4.32Ghz HT enabled, I'm unable to manage hardly any terrain or cloud shadows if I'm in any kind of busy area as they drive CPU utilization up to 100% and there goes smooth flight, so I'll just uncheck those shadows to get around that and to be frank I hardly notice the difference with or without those shadow features anyway.  What will doubling GPU performance driven by something like I9-9900K really get me?  Will I be then able to run shadows full on, or what really?   Any other features like Dynamic Lighting that really make it worth the high cost of a 2080Ti? 

Thanks

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

To be brief. Until about 6 months ago, I was running the system I built in 2013. I7 4770k at 4.8ghz which originally had a GTX 780 but by the time I was itching to build a new system it already had a 1080ti. Here is what I did. I bought an open box 8086k of a shady bloke of the internet. And a used Asus Maximus X Apex of a very nice guy that I found in a local buy and sell site. I splurge on 16gb of 4400mhz DRAM and 3 x 1 TB Samsung Nvme M.2 SSD's. Everything else was recycled from the old system. It cost me about CAD$2400. I cannot remember the exact cost. The CPU runs a 5.3ghz on all cores. I would say that all in all its about 20% better performance than the previous system. I would say that had I gone down the road of building a complete new system from scratch with the latest hardware It would be a CAD$5000 budget and I would have got a lot less bang for the buck.

Given the announcement of MSFS2020, I wouldn't build anything until its released and we have some idea of the system required to run it at its best.

Edited by Avidean
  • Like 1

I'm only looking for guidance on what a 100% increase in GPU performance will get me with respect to GPU-related sliders such as terrain and cloud shadowing, dynamic reflections, etc.  I know the GPU plays some role in autogen rendering and perhaps other.  So right now I'm using a GTX Titan, and an RTX 2080Ti approximately doubles the processing power over my old Titan.  I just don't how that translates to impacts on GPU related sliders.   

The 20% increase in performance sure seems paltry.   I calculate I should see around 34% increase from my current SB-E machine.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Bottom line: don't buy hardware today for software that you intend to run tomorrow.  Wait until the software is out and buy the fastest hardware you can afford at that time, because chances are, there will be something faster by then.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

If you do a lot of video rendering, the Ryzen 3900X or 3950X blows away the Intel 9900 series. There are a number of benchmark videos on Youtube showing this. So, I think you will need to determine what your requirements are -- i.e. how much Flightsimming versus video versus office apps. There is no question today that the new Ryzens do great for video and productivity apps. And they have a much lower TDP than the 9900 series.

Good luck making a decision!

• Upvote 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

On 11/13/2019 at 11:27 AM, Noel said:

I'm only looking for guidance on what a 100% increase in GPU performance will get me with respect to GPU-related sliders such as terrain and cloud shadowing, dynamic reflections, etc.  I know the GPU plays some role in autogen rendering and perhaps other.  So right now I'm using a GTX Titan, and an RTX 2080Ti approximately doubles the processing power over my old Titan.  I just don't how that translates to impacts on GPU related sliders.   

The 20% increase in performance sure seems paltry.   I calculate I should see around 34% increase from my current SB-E machine.

I would like to know this answer as well but you might have to start a new topic on it to get a decent response as it’s off-topic posted here and you might not get a response at all.

Chris Camp

On 11/14/2019 at 11:25 AM, TechguyMaxC said:

Bottom line: don't buy hardware today for software that you intend to run tomorrow.  Wait until the software is out and buy the fastest hardware you can afford at that time, because chances are, there will be something faster by then.

Except when hardware failure happens before the sofware you intend to run tomorrow debuts!

11 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

I would like to know this answer as well but you might have to start a new topic on it to get a decent response as it’s off-topic posted here and you might not get a response at all.

Good idea Chris I will, thanks

Noel

23 hours ago, Noel said:

Except when hardware failure happens before the sofware you intend to run tomorrow debuts!

Good idea Chris I will, thanks

If you're building a PC today for a game that's going to come out a year from now and you experience a component failure, that component is going to be covered under warranty.  So that idea doesn't really apply.  

If you think that buying parts over time as you set aside enough money to buy each component individually is a good idea - it's not.  I can't tell you the number of times I've seen people do that and lose out on some great part, and be past the return period so they either had to sell a part (and lose money) or live with having made a bad decision.  

• Like 1

Sure whenever you purchase anything something else will surely arrive that is a better deal that goes w/o saying.  What matters really is over what period of time are we looking at.   If it's over 6 months to a year or so then this sort of concern isn't very relevant.   I don't have plans to by parts piecemeal though I have been tempted to swap out my GTX Titan for a 2080Ti if this would buy me sufficient improvement in being able to increase GPU-related sliders on my existing old box.  I know the 3930K won't drive it as well as something faster but again if I saw a significant different in GPU related attributes I might do it.  I already conclude RTX 2080Ti offers double the performance (Passmark) over my Titan and I am confident that will be good enough for next year's sim.  What I don't know is how much it will do for me over the short term in my current machine.  Plus, on a big purchase I don't mind spacing out the charges it will certainly help keep the peace w/ my better half :o)

Edited by Noel

Noel

3 hours ago, Noel said:

Sure whenever you purchase anything something else will surely arrive that is a better deal that goes w/o saying.  What matters really is over what period of time are we looking at.   If it's over 6 months to a year or so then this sort of concern isn't very relevant.   I don't have plans to by parts piecemeal though I have been tempted to swap out my GTX Titan for a 2080Ti if this would buy me sufficient improvement in being able to increase GPU-related sliders on my existing old box.  I know the 3930K won't drive it as well as something faster but again if I saw a significant different in GPU related attributes I might do it.  I already conclude RTX 2080Ti offers double the performance (Passmark) over my Titan and I am confident that will be good enough for next year's sim.  What I don't know is how much it will do for me over the short term in my current machine.  Plus, on a big purchase I don't mind spacing out the charges it will certainly help keep the peace w/ my better half :o)

All major technology vendors are on a yearly release cadence.  Since releases are offset, that means you can expect that a new, better product will be available in at most 1 year, sometimes it's only a difference of a few months or weeks.  

Wait.  Save your money.  When MSFS is finally released, we'll have a much better idea of its performance characteristics and requirements.  Maybe it's a heavily parallelized application that will actually run best on an HEDT platform and buying a gaming CPU today would actually be a huge mistake.  The bottom line is: we don't know, so any actions taken now are made in the dark.  

Edited by TechguyMaxC

47 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

All major technology vendors are on a yearly release cadence.  Since releases are offset, that means you can expect that a new, better product will be available in at most 1 year, sometimes it's only a difference of a few months or weeks.  

Wait.  Save your money.  When MSFS is finally released, we'll have a much better idea of its performance characteristics and requirements.  Maybe it's a heavily parallelized application that will actually run best on an HEDT platform and buying a gaming CPU today would actually be a huge mistake.  The bottom line is: we don't know, so any actions taken now are made in the dark.  

Well no matter what works best on it I will be buying an I9-9900K or a competitive model from AMD when it's time to upgrade.   Remember--my 6y/o 3930K and Titan may be close to the end of life so if she blows tomorrow I will be purchasing parts for a new build right away.  The other reality is that changes year to year on CPUs and GPUs are rather paltry when you get right down to it.   6 years later this box still runs P3D quite well because I'm comfortable adjusting settings, flying in locales, that work well on my system.  Thanks

Edited by Noel

Noel

The newly released AMD 3950X seems to be the best option.... Intel will take a while to catch up.... Check out all the reviews on Youtube!

Matthew S

Kewl thanks I will look into 3950X ;o)

Noel

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Remember--my 6y/o 3930K and Titan

I'm still using a 3930K and 970GTX...  I'd be interested to know details of your new build when you do it.

Matthew S