Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Advice Please On A PSU

Currently, have an Antec TP 650w PSU silently powering the current rig.Never had a single issue in the 5 years in usage; have an OCZ StealthXStream 700w PSU, as well as a Be Quiet! 650w.

A friend has just pointed me to some Black Friday Deals. I'd like some opinions of experienced rig-builders of the following:

• Antec HCG Gaming 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply 850W   
  • Corsair RM850, RM Series, 80 Plus Gold Certified, 850 W

Have the other previous listed PSUs got all I need for a Z390 Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero mobo, i7-8086k CPUI, MSI GTX 1080Ti, SATA Hard Drives, SATA Optical Drive, SATA SSDs? Or do I need the 850w PSUs?

Thank you.

Rick,

I can only assume that you are looking at an upgrade.

My best advice is that the 650watt will handle the new rig but only barely.  I have always been told that for a good system you have to look at a minimum of 750W and 850W is better. I am currently running a 1200 watt PSU, but I bought that when I was operating 3 x GPUs and 6-8 monitors (FS2004) with my new upgrade, I retained it because it was still very serviceable and not replacing it reduced my upgrade costs (Just the CPU, Motherboard and 2 x 16gb sticks of corsair RAM cost me just over AUD2000.00 here in Indonesia)

I also believe, somewhere out there,is a formula for PSU requirements ... I have seen it but I cannot remember where.

I also think that if you retain the 650watts PSU you will soon find out if it is inadequate. If it does not work properly, then I would personally recommend the Corsair Gold PSU.

Good luck mate.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

650 or 700W are plenty for those specs.  The days of needing monstrous PSUs are behind us, since multi-GPU is basically dead.  

I have a 9900k and a 2080 Ti in a rig with a 750W unit and I never see anywhere near that usage at the wall.  Same goes for my 16-core overclocked media server with 15 hard drives and an 850W PSU.

Edited by TechguyMaxC
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Rick,

I can only assume that you are looking at an upgrade.

My best advice is that the 650watt will handle the new rig but only barely.  I have always been told that for a good system you have to look at a minimum of 750W and 850W is better. I am currently running a 1200 watt PSU, but I bought that when I was operating 3 x GPUs and 6-8 monitors (FS2004) with my new upgrade, I retained it because it was still very serviceable and not replacing it reduced my upgrade costs (Just the CPU, Motherboard and 2 x 16gb sticks of corsair RAM cost me just over AUD2000.00 here in Indonesia)

I also believe, somewhere out there,is a formula for PSU requirements ... I have seen it but I cannot remember where.

I also think that if you retain the 650watts PSU you will soon find out if it is inadequate. If it does not work properly, then I would personally recommend the Corsair Gold PSU.

Good luck mate.

Tony

Hi Tony

Been out of the loop for so long regarding today's gear with an i5-4670k I bought in Perth way back in 2013, around which I built current rig, hence I thought best throw this out there for the 'experts' to share their opinions, views, advice, etc and reading your response, makes sense in what you say. I have that formula somewhere.

9 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

650 or 700W are plenty for those specs.  The days of needing monstrous PSUs are behind us, since multi-GPU is basically dead.  

I have a 9900k and a 2080 Ti in a rig with a 750W unit and I never see anywhere near that usage at the wall.  Same goes for my 16-core overclocked media server with 15 hard drives and an 850W PSU.

Now, this reply, really throws the cat among the pigeons, that has got me scratching my bonce! You have given me food for thought.

Agree also that the 650W is MORE then enough. I’d have no problem myself using a top tier 500-550W even. But that’s me. 

I’d be surprised if that system drew more then 400W at maximum load. 

3 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

• Weight ... it's a good indicator of the quality of components used inside, heavier is better

It's mostly due to the copper plating and some components , usually the 80+ certified. 

We have 10 year old Dell systems Core2duo's has heavy PSU amazing quality. 

without a GPU a 500w is suffiecient, more components starts using more power but usually it's fine , with the GPU would suggest first check the recommended one from the manufacturers website.  

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

9 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I have 3 PSU's in my main flight sim rig (a 300watt, 850watt, 1600watt) ... a good measure to look for is how well the PSU responds to rapid changes in load and how well they work under high loads.  I've had really cheap PSU's fail and really expensive PSU's fail.

What to look for:

• Single rails
  • AMP rating for each rail
  • Weight ... it's a good indicator of the quality of components used inside, heavier is better

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, as a fellow Brit who has followed your advice and inputs here from afar, what is your opinion of this then? Does it cut the mustard as per your points? My current Antec TP650 is so,so silent I can barely hear it. Were the current rig not powering up,I'd think it was dead! no coil whine, etc ,etc. Superb buy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-RM850-Certified-Modular-Supply/dp/B07S2SXVR5/ref=sr_1_6?crid=180CX9JA5AUAA&keywords=psu+750w+gold&qid=1574847583&s=computers&sprefix=PSU%2Ccomputers%2C340&sr=1-6

Edited by vc10man

If you want a comprehensive PSU calculator, try: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

A 650w PSU should run the OP’s proposed system. However, it’s worth remembering that the peak efficiency of a PSU is generally at around 50% load, hence one of the reasons why people tend to get bigger than they need.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks, Rob, and vortex681.

Will check out tomorrow as just back from a very late finishing soccer Champions League match.

18 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

This is the EVGA 850Watt PSU I use to power fans and pumps and fan controllers

Looked at it on Amazon here. Around £114. But a plethora of +ve and -ve comments on that, slightly more -ve. Even more confusing for me,

On 11/26/2019 at 5:20 PM, vc10man said:

Currently, have an Antec TP 650w PSU silently powering the current rig.Never had a single issue in the 5 years in usage; have an OCZ StealthXStream 700w PSU, as well as a Be Quiet! 650w.

A friend has just pointed me to some Black Friday Deals. I'd like some opinions of experienced rig-builders of the following:

• Antec HCG Gaming 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply 850W   
  • Corsair RM850, RM Series, 80 Plus Gold Certified, 850 W

Have the other previous listed PSUs got all I need for a Z390 Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero mobo, i7-8086k CPUI, MSI GTX 1080Ti, SATA Hard Drives, SATA Optical Drive, SATA SSDs? Or do I need the 850w PSUs?

Thank you.

I'm running a 3700X, X570 motherboard, 2x M2 drives, 1 SSD, 1 HDD, Nvidia Titan Xp GPU,  7 fans (3 on a 360mm water cooler) 32GB of 3600mhz DDR4, several RGB lights and an addon USB 3.1 PCie card all on a Corsair RM750x. It doesn't even break sweat. In fact, I don't think the fan has ever come on.

Thanks for your inputs, Glenn and Rob. Much appreciated.

As a retired pensioner, I have to stretch the 'pennies', so want to make the correct decisions, like I made several years ago, getting a Dell UltraSharp IP 24-in; that Antec TP650w PSU, etc,etc

On 11/26/2019 at 11:12 PM, TechguyMaxC said:

Yep, 100% agree. I have a 750 EVGA, reliable, long warranty. 

Once more, Martin, you give me food for thought. Thank you.

Is that EVGA 750w silent,or as silent as tolerable without a whine. I ask this based of my current Antec TP650 which is barely audible and am toying with the idea of sticking to the brand..

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

Yep, 100% agree. I have a 750 EVGA, reliable, long warranty. 

3 hours ago, vc10man said:

Is that EVGA 750w silent,or as silent as tolerable without a whine. I ask this based of my current Antec TP650 which is barely audible and am toying with the idea of sticking to the brand..

I would also highly recommend EVGA PSUs. I have an 850w EVGA SuperNOVA G2. By default, under normal loads the fan is switched off but even under heavy load I can't hear it when it's running. It also has high-quality Japanese capacitors and a 10-year warranty.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit