Sign in to follow this  
Guest 777LR

Stop complaining about FSX

Guest YukonPete

On every new release of FS we get a number of people complaining about how the simulator is too demanding on PC's. Well here is a news flash! We will probably not see another version of FS until 2009. And in the next year PC hardware will catch up to FSX. Just as it did with FS2004 and FS2002. If your not happy then stay with FS2004 for another year then upgrade your PC. Sure it runs slow on my PC but I don't complain. I will continue to use FS2004 until I can upgrade next year. I am happy MS push FSX to the limit because I want a simulator thats going to last me for the next 3 years. You have to look down the road. Not at today. If your only worried about today and running FS on a 2005 PC then stay with FS2004.Pete

Guest JIMJAM

For every complaint you see, you can bet someone out there is reading it and wondering how they can improve it.It may be free or they may charge for it but thats how improvements happen.So complain away people and for those with the talent and time to improve the sim, we eagerly await them.PS-Start with a autogen and scenery thats easier on our computers.

>Sure it runs slow on my PC but I don't complain. >PeteOFcourse you do. You complain about other people complaining because it irks you. Others post about what irks them.Its a free world.:)

Guest Len

OFcourse you do. You complain about other people complaining because it irks you. Others post about what irks them.Its a free world.Exactly. And news flash to original poster: those complaints may actually be viable and legitimate complaints.

Guest FxF3

They are going to complain no matter what some are just that way when a new FS comes along. Others will have legit complaints. While others will complain no matter what you do to try and help even with a proven tip.Don't worry about them just enjoy what FS you have and try to get the most from it.

So, complaining about the complaning is somehow going to make things better? Just consider for a moment the poor guy who buys FSX for his kid's birthday and the finds out it will hardly run on his two-year old brand-name computer. How much do you think he cares about "down the road" or upgrades? All he wants is to make his kid happy. 95% of the potential FSX users never heard of AVSIM, beta testing, FS9, or anything else to do with flight simming. All they want is a program that works without having to spend another $2000 on a computer. And it looks like FSX is really going to come up short for anyone with an average DX9-based machine. So, listen to the complaints and you just might learn something.Doug

Guest AOA

DougVery insightful post.Nothing else need be said I think.Pete

Guest david W.

Well said. This is basic common knowledge/sense that most of us flight sim fans have gotten to know over the years.However there are those that will just never get it. *:-* :-)

> So, complaining about the complaning is somehow going to>make things better? Just consider for a moment the poor guy>who buys FSX for his kid's birthday and the finds out it will>hardly run on his two-year old brand-name computer. How much>do you think he cares about "down the road" or upgrades? All>he wants is to make his kid happy. 95% of the potential FSX>users never heard of AVSIM, beta testing, FS9, or anything>else to do with flight simming. All they want is a program>that works without having to spend another $2000 on a>computer. And it looks like FSX is really going to come up>short for anyone with an average DX9-based machine. So, listen>to the complaints and you just might learn something.>>DougHmm- well 95% of the potential FSX users that never heard of AVSIM will likely not mess with CFG files, they will go with the DEFAULT settings that ACES programmed the thing to determine FOR YOU and they will ALL be happy little flyers, just as they have been for many many years, as to why MSFS series has lasted this many years...because us 5% sure aren't going to carry that weight!

Guest YukonPete

Well if you want a DX9 based game stay with FS2004!

>On every new release of FS we get a number of people>complaining about how the simulator is too demanding on PC's.>Well here is a news flash! We will probably not see another>version of FS until 2009. ...>>PeteI just wonder what's coming that will boost performance so much. In the past the speed of CPU's doubled quickly and graphics cards followed. Are 6GHz cpus coming in the next 12 months or would a faster graphics card make that much of a difference? FS-X seems to need at least a 3 fold improvment in frame rates. I held off upgrading waiting for Vista and FS-X to arrive but now I dont see an upgrade helping in the short term, any suggestions?

Guest Len

Hmm- well 95% of the potential FSX users that never heard of AVSIM will likely not mess with CFG files, they will go with the DEFAULT settings that ACES programmed the thing to determine FOR YOU and they will ALL be happy little flyers, just as they have been for many many years,Know they won't. They will have looked at the MS specs which states System Requirements: 1 Ghz machine and 32 mb graphics card. They'll load it up in their P4 1.8 machine with the 32 mb card and they will have thought that they bought a slide show.I tried the defaults on my P4 3.6 Ghz 1 gig ram X800xt 256 PCIe card and what a dogs breath in terms of look and fps. I could not recommend this version to anyone except they have a higher end dual core machine with a higher end (preferably direct x 10 compliant) video card. That's not middle America.

I have a simple solution for you to avoid reading the complaints... PC's power cable out. People are stating their opinions and results on the sim. FSX is very demanding on everyone's hardware. Im glad people are feeding us their results because it's help me decide to not purchase the sim. Seriously, dont waste Tom's bandwith to demand that we stop "complaining." If you dont like it, it's easy to not to come to this forum.

FSX can run on DX9. Just not well. Even though my computer soars past the required minimums, its a slide show. So im glad to have feedback from others to know how the sim performs. Now most of us know not to buy it for a while.

In my view, Microsoft may have made a serious mistake in pitching the hardware requirements far above the average user, and worse, that there is no prospect of hardware becoming available in the next 2 years that will be able to run the code as designed. The FSX code has very little multithreading and is limited much more by CPU speed than graphics card power. With AMD and Intel both focussing on multicore processors to achieve CPU speed increases rather than increased clock rate, newer multicore processors will do little to improve frame rates of FSX. Even folks running Core 2 Extreme systems report frame rates below playable levels with moderate slider settings. Unless the DX10 cards turn this situation around, most people won

Guest Len

The only chance is that Microsoft makes substantial changes to the FSX code when they release the patch for DX10 and Vista, supposedly due early next year. But the word is, they haven

The complaints don't bother me too much. What does get to me are the claims (maybe true or not) of the people with low/mid-range systems that they are getting 40FPS but they fail to explain how they achieved such impressive results.

Guest Leafhopper

I logged on to this forum today specifically to read about people's impression good and bad of FSX, as I did for FS9, FS2002, FS2000 (should have listened on that one), and all the previous releases. I do not run out a buy the release on the first day. If there are problems I may wait until an upgrade or bug fix that seems to please most - then I'll buy. If I read nothing but praises I become suspicious and start looking for who the sponsor is. It's a real jungle in cyberland and it's Buyer Be A-ware!

Guest Binncott

Hmmmmm,It certainly seems from the majority of posts that MS has made a bit of a boo-boo with FSX.For once I am glad to be in the UK as FSX is not yet available, and I wasn't in the position of being tempted.What I have noticed on this and other threads is that in efforts to obtain useable fps, many are turning the AI settings to almost none. I find this is a real shame considering the growth of AI related add-ons, sites etc since Fs8, that MS has come up with a product that does not take any account of this growth and has left users with little option but to almost return to Fs2000 days and have no traffic whatsoever.Fs9 for me guys, and I suspect this goes for a lot of folks.BC

Guest YukonPete

Well I have my FPS locked at 20 and I get 15-20fps. Its not gone below 15. All my sliders are set at the defult.My systemP4 3.05Ghz1GB Ram9800Pro 256MBWindows XP Media SP2

Guest drdaru1

Uh oh, you better not suggest that they didn't finish the job on this one. You might get yelled at :)

Guest Binkles

And when FSXI comes out, everyone will be staying with FSX because FSXI runs like a dog, and MS dropped the ball again and they stuffed up for the average user. It happens every time :)

>And when FSXI comes out, everyone will be staying with FSX>because FSXI runs like a dog, and MS dropped the ball again>and they stuffed up for the average user. It happens every>time :)IMHO, I think that a larger percentage of the simmers will stay with FS2004 now, than with FS2002 when FS2004 was released.I mean,....MSFS is clearly going more towards the game and GA segment in FSX. And to be real honest I can not see that much system platform improvment in FSX over FS2004, except multiplayer and a lot of eyecandies. And beleive me,...we are uncounted simmers who doesn

Since you clearly don't understand, let me repeat what's been said many times before, FSX is a DX9 game. It was programmed to run under WinXP with DX9. There is not one iota of DX10-related code anywhere in FSX. And when you turn loose the full capabilities of DX9 on the average home desktop, as FSX has done, the performance is going to give a much-less-that-satisfying experience. But, your point does have some merit, i.e., anyone running DX9 should, indeed, stay with FS9.Doug