Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Hey Asobo, about small airfield buildings/hangars

It would great to show us in the next media update how the AI interprets the sat imagery and your artists render small airports, from a shack with a rusted ironsheet roof along a dirt strip to the half dozen hangars of a GA airfield. With the equipment clutter.

Also will they be « localized » to have an Asian or African flavor ?

Merci à l’avance 😉

Edited by domkle
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

9 minutes ago, domkle said:

It would great to show us in the next media update how the AI interprets the sat imagery and your artists render small airports, from a shack with a rusted ironsheet roof along a dirt strip to the half dozen hangars of a GA airfield. With the equipment clutter.

Merci à l’avance 😉

This has been brought up several times in different threads and I agree this is one of the biggest open questions regarding the essentials of the new sim.

Will we finally be able not only to fly but also to takeoff and land anywhere in the world without either being restricted to locations we have scenery addons for or having to break the immersion with simplistic generic default airfields.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

IMO this has been already covered/confirmed in episode 1; https://youtu.be/3XTwJBgmTfs?t=283

Unless I missed it, not particularly regarding airfields. 

And we haven't seen any "default"airfields yet up close.

Placing buildings and trees which look good when flying above is not enough to create immersive airfields.

We probably need a higher resolution for ground and building textures at airfields, all kinds of clutter and maybe even moving vehicles, persons and animals.

Edited by RALF9636

it has not really been covered.

36 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

This has been brought up several times in different threads and I agree this is one of the biggest open questions regarding the essentials of the new sim.

Will we finally be able not only to fly but also to takeoff and land anywhere in the world without either being restricted to locations we have scenery addons for or having to break the immersion with simplistic generic default airfields.

Thisis  exactly my point. There has been a strong demand and I thought it appropriate to remind our good friends at Asobo of it.

I never fly into Heathrow, CDG or KJFK but most often in and out of smallish airports which will have little chance of a detailed customized modeling. What can I expect at release ? How do they make them ? How Mae Hong Son in Thailand or Barcelonnette in the French Alps  or Nimule in Sudan (examples) look like ? 

We have seen glimpses of Renton which is a little special, almost Microsoft’s own.

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

For me this has become a very interesting topic, simply because of what MS/Asobo have teased us with so far...

At the moment, I exclusively use add-on airports--simply because the default ones are ugly (which is completely understandable). Even though I also spent a fortune on LC scenery (like GES, GEN, PNW, etc.) I don't find it very appealing to look out the window mid-flight, since even the orbx scenery is not that pretty. Ofc NL TE is a different game, but performance is an issue and it's also only a small area that's covered with TE.

With the whole world waiting to be explored by me (if what they're advertising is really that impressive), my standpoint might change quite significantly: From exclusively using airliners between add-on airports towards smaller airplanes (like the Citation or the TBM) on smaller, default airports--just to enjoy the flight (i.e. the scenery) en route.

I guess it depends a lot on what the AI has to offer for default airports and thus I don't want to get my hopes up, yet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, SnakeP said:

For me this has become a very interesting topic, simply because of what MS/Asobo have teased us with so far...

At the moment, I exclusively use add-on airports--simply because the default ones are ugly (which is completely understandable). Even though I also spent a fortune on LC scenery (like GES, GEN, PNW, etc.) I don't find it very appealing to look out the window mid-flight, since even the orbx scenery is not that pretty. Ofc NL TE is a different game, but performance is an issue and it's also only a small area that's covered with TE.

With the whole world waiting to be explored by me (if what they're advertising is really that impressive), my standpoint might change quite significantly: From exclusively using airliners between add-on airports towards smaller airplanes (like the Citation or the TBM) on smaller, default airports--just to enjoy the flight (i.e. the scenery) en route.

I guess it depends a lot on what the AI has to offer for default airports and thus I don't want to get my hopes up, yet.

Exactly my thoughts.

• Like 1

If data is available, maybe "beefing" up the AI scanning resolution within say a 1/2 mile or so radius around all airports would be the dream solution?

• Like 1

Can't imagine that the small strips and airfields will not look at least acceptable realistic and immersive since Asobo mentioned that this sim is suitable for VFR flying/navigation and they encourage you too even look for your house.

Since this is a FLIGHT sim, I assume that despite all the nice off-airport scenery, that they will take care especially about airports and airfields, regardless of their size.

9 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

Can't imagine that the small strips and airfields will not look at least acceptable realistic and immersive since Asobo mentioned that this sim is suitable for VFR flying/navigation and they encourage you too even look for your house.

Since this is a FLIGHT sim, I assume that despite all the nice off-airport scenery, that they will take care especially about airports and airfields, regardless of their size.

I hope so too. But we haven't seen it yet.

At least we will have volumetric grass between taxiways and nice asphalt/concrete textures on the ground.

Buildings are still a concern to me and wether the airports will be dead or alive.

I know I repeat myself but what about THE HANGAR within the 1st trailer? It was in-sim content am I right?

Edited by Noooch

39 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

It goes without saying but its even better being said... or rather shown 😉.

Dominique

The right way to do this is to give users a huge library of buildings with a user-friendly editor and have an open portal for them to update in game airports. That's the only way you get passable detail at so many tens of thousands of places.

That also encourages user interaction, which is a great thing for any game.

• Like 4

In my humble opinion/speculation, this is an area where people will be disappointed, but not because Asobo will have done a bad job. A ton will still come down to artwork. It's just unreasonable for them to cover the entire planet. Azure finds and places roofs. Outside of certain 3D cities, the z-axis is still up to autogen and artists. This is why 3rd parties will still play a role. I just hope people cover less popular areas like Asia, Africa and South America. 

I think it will be an improved version of the generic hangars we see in FSX.

4 hours ago, Noooch said:

I know I repeat myself but what about THE HANGAR within the 1st trailer? It was in-sim content am I right?

My speculation is that that is one hangar where select your aircraft, payload, and options. So yes it will be in-game, but not in the sense that there will be functioning hangars at airports around the world.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, domkle said:

Merci à l’avance 😉

As ever Dominique you provide some valued opinions and great ideas.

We did get the World preview video but I'm too interested how this AI technology has been adapted for airports. Maybe it hasn't and everything is hand placed? We've not really seen to many airports close up, pretty much all the ones we have seen have been highly detailed affairs with hand placed and custom made buildings. Almost certainly these airports will use aerial imagery as a base like Orbx TE but unlike TE will also feature procedural grass and dirt so they'll alll look very natural, but the big question is how the buildings fit in and what features and services will come with these out of the box.

• Upvote 1