Sign in to follow this  
Patco Lch

Simmers and FPS

23 minutes ago, w6kd said:

The problem is that as soon as you exceed the lower scan rate threshold (30 Hz for the XB271HU), the frame doubling stops, because at 30 fps, you are now within the hardware scan rate range of the monitor (30-144Hz).  As soon as you drop below 30, then frame doubling begins, and at 29fps and below each frame is sent twice, but at double the application's output frame rate, so at 29 fps the GPU sends two duplicate frames, but at 58 fps.  So as you wobble across that 30fps "barrier" the hardware is rapidly fluctuating between 30 and 58 fps.  But if you constrain the application's frame rate to below 30, then everything is doubled...no more waffling back and forth.  There will be small fluctuations in the frame rate, but those don't reach out and grab you like those rapid and large oscillations.

One thought...make sure you have G-Sync enabled for both full and windowed screens in nVidia Control Panel, as P3D is a windowed application, unlike most other 3D games.

I would also use a utility to monitor the actual hardware frame rate...I don't remember the name of the one I used when doing the 9900K build.

Even reducing to 28 has no impact, FPS remains certainly below 30 but it is still extremely choppy, with a significant amount of blur and ghosting.  Panning is essentially impossible or reading taxiway signs while moving.  I guess you can call it stutter free since it's consistent choppiness rather than any kind of long frames.

Yes, I have G-Sync enabled for both full and windowed mode.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I posted this on another forum a few months back:

It's a myth to think that the most FPS the brain can register is 24. This probably goes back to the advent of motion picture and the frequency of film stills displayed on screen as alluded to by the OP. More FPS required the increased amount of expensive film usage.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

The human brain can actually interpret upto 1,000 FPS due to the firing rates for the retina’s output neurons. The rate depends on several factors, but 300 to 1,000 firings per second correlates to the maximum FPS the eye can 'see' (the eye doesn't work in FPS, but I don't fully understand let alone try to explain that).

It is alluded to on lots sites on the internet that most test subjects of a sample of the general public could no longer appreciate a higher FPS than 150.

That said, tests on USAF pilots have shown, that they could identify the plane on a flashed picture that was flashed only for 1/220th of a second.

https://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

I know that for me, 60 is more fluid than 30 and 120 is more fluid than 60. I notice this most in my peripheral vision on my 3 monitor setup. Your peripheral vision is set up for noticing movement more than the image recognition derived from the centre of the eye - a theorised evolutionary protection system.

RTSS is something that has worked very well for me since I started using it.
Can only agree wholeheartedly with the below:

6 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I’ve never been a fan of G-sync and don’t understand why someone would want a variable frame-time?  Its the variance the brain detects and hence is the distraction.

Use RTSS frame limiter if monitor can’t go below 60Hz ... just make sure P3D water setting if not at Ultra, the CUDA support seems cause irregularities.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

19 minutes ago, F737NG said:

RTSS is something that has worked very well for me since I started using it.

What settings with it do you use?

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

23 minutes ago, CaptKornDog said:

What settings with it do you use?

These settings on 60 Hz monitors:
https://i.imgur.com/1ObrhpV.jpg

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

22 minutes ago, CaptKornDog said:

How does that work?  If you set a non-zero scanline value, the frame limiter is supposed to be ignored according to the RTSS site.

He has his RTSS set up wrong. 

This is an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one, could anyone tell me where they read the human eye can only see 24 fps?

4 hours ago, Concodroid said:

This is an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one, could anyone tell me where they read the human eye can only see 24 fps?

On Avsim, many times.

But that is the only place in the world that you will find this “fact”!

🙂

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

12 hours ago, Concodroid said:

could anyone tell me where they read the human eye can only see 24 fps?

That's not entirely true, though it is for folks with eyesight like mine (and possibly a lot of old folks). I'm quite happy with my system set at 30 fps (with 2 x 4K projectors and a curved 200 degree FOV screen). In fact I'be okay okay with 25 but that isn't my projectors natural setting (whilst 30 fps is).

This is an interesting read:

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-movies-shown-in-24fps-while-60fps-looks-more-real#:~:text=24 frames per second was,shooting 60 frames per second.&text=Over time our eyes have,to 60 frames per second.

Pete

• Like 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I did some work in the cinema in the forces in north Africa in the evening the old ARC projector pass a still frame past the lens at 28 fps, this then is seen as a moving film, and you have two projectors when you see a image in the top right corner usually a circle you get ready to switch projectors on the second image, the audience never notice you have change reels.   

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg