Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
ual763

Weather/Environmental Possibilities

Recommended Posts

Since MS/ASOBO is using MeteoBlue as their weather/environmental source, I thought that I would mention just a few of the amazing possibilities this partnership *could* give the user base.  This is an extremely powerful/accurate/detailed source of real-time weather data.  I’ll go step-by-step through a number of different products they offer and relate it to what it could mean for the sim.  Keep in mind, some of this is just speculation.  We don’t know whether MS/ASOBO has modeled wave directions, for instance.  But, we do know they use MeteoBlue, and that this data is available to them if they so choose.  This is just a small taste of what the system is capable of.

Detailed Cloud Data

This part of MeteoBlue was showcased in the weather preview video.  Basically, MeteoBlue can show the clouds worldwide without having to reference METAR info (cloud types, cloud cover, cloud bases/heights, etc.).  This means that we will see accurate cloud patterns/types over the middle of oceans, and even places such as Antarctica.

Wind

Just like the cloud data, we now have access to detailed wind information worldwide at all altitudes.  No more relying on hours old weather balloon data and/or GRIB forecasts.

Visibility

Like Wind data, MeteoBlue also has access to global visibility conditions without relying on METARS.  Along with this, they have separate coverage products for various aerosols, pollutants in the atmosphere.  You can see how much dust particles are in the atmosphere at any one time.  (Look at this product over the Sahara on their website).  This may translate into accurately depicted dust storms and also possibly may effect the sky colors, lighting, etc.

Clear Air Turbulence Coverage

Self-Explainable.

Wave Heights/Direction

Perhaps one of the most unexpected, but coolest, data sets available is that of wave height/direction.  With MeteoBlue, MS/ASOBO also has the ability to accurately depict wave/swell heights (and direction they are moving) worldwide.  Great news for seaplane pilots and low/slow VFR flyers.

Lake/Sea Ice Coverage

MeteoBlue even includes global lake/sea ice coverage data in percentage.  So, combined with the new winter technology, we may now have the ability to actually see accurate sea ice positions (even icebergs possibly) in the sim.  This also covers inland lakes, rivers, etc.  It’s all percentage based too.  So 90-100% would be solid ice sheet, whereas 30-40%, for example, may be scattered icebergs off Greenland.

Precipitation

We now have global precipitation data without need for radar.  One of the cool products on MeteoBlue under the precipitation tab, is the “Estimated Snow Depth” map.  With this, MS/ASOBO has the data to accurately depict ground snow conditions worldwide at any given time.  This will provide for accurate snow patterns on the ground, throughout all the seasons. You can literally see the snow advance/retreat through the year.

I highly recommend checking the MeteoBlue website out. I’ve only just touched on the basics of this amazing website.  With data like this, the environmental possibilities MS/ASOBO has are endless.  They can do so much with this data, and it looks like they already have.  Exciting times indeed!

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather-maps/london_united-kingdom_2643743?variable=hicld&level=300mb&lines=none&mapcenter=51.5085N-0.1257&zoom=6

Edited by ual763
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All true, but let's not forget that the same IS already possible thanks to some long time established weather engines, like Active Sky, but not only...

Actually what is used is a combination of the outputs of weather models, like those used by MeteoBlue ( which I also use for my RW flight planning in my glider ), sattelite images, and a combinations of other sources of information including those created by weather centers ( METAR and SPECI for obs., TAF, GAMET and SIGMET for frcst.) and also AIREP and PIREP.

MeteoBlue shows what all other weather forecast models show as well, like those I use at work - composed / forecast satellite images with various levels of detail that will allow for a much more realistic and precise positioning of clouds and their types.

Usually these flight simulation weather engines cxan profit from the definition of a given flightplan because they can then fine-tune the weather accross a corridor of some width around the flightplan track.

I also see that they're modeling other forms of turbulence, like those that result from convective clouds, and it would be great to really "feel" the effects of breeze and convergence 🙂

All in Open now, while we wait for MFS to get released...

  • Like 1

Use your flight simulators with a well defined purpose...

Don't expect them to be "perfect" or to fully cover all aspects of simulated flight...

Try to enjoy it instead of stressing...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ual763 said:

Since MS/ASOBO is using MeteoBlue as their weather/environmental source, I thought that I would mention just a few of the amazing possibilities this partnership *could* give the user base.  This is an extremely powerful/accurate/detailed source of real-time weather data.  I’ll go step-by-step through a number of different products they offer and relate it to what it could mean for the sim.

 

Add to your list:

 

Historical weather.

 

It is also available by Meteoblue.

 

Btw do we have an official confirmation that it is Meteoblue?

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

Btw do we have an official confirmation that it is Meteoblue?

As far as I know we only have an official confirmation that it’s a Swiss partner (which Meteoblue is). A user (Noooch?) then found out that the weather map they showed in the feature discovery video had the exact same layout as the ones from Meteoblue. So I guess this is as good as confirmed.

  • Like 3

i9-11900K, RTX 3080, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

As far as I know we only have an official confirmation that it’s a Swiss partner (which Meteoblue is). A user (Noooch?) then found out that the weather map they showed in the feature discovery video had the exact same layout as the ones from Meteoblue. So I guess this is as good as confirmed.

Yes I was aware of that and I agree it pretty much looks like it.

Just wondered if I missed an official statement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

Yes I was aware of that and I agree it pretty much looks like it.

Just wondered if I missed an official statement.

No, you didn’t miss anything.  I’m just very familiar with MeteoBlue - used it a lot in my meteorology classes at UND.  The cloud coverage map they showed is from MB, and they’re Swiss 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ual763 said:

No, you didn’t miss anything.  I’m just very familiar with MeteoBlue - used it a lot in my meteorology classes at UND.  The cloud coverage map they showed is from MB, and they’re Swiss 🙂

Actually Meteoblue became my favorite smartphone weather app when I found out about it. 🙂

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RALF9636 said:

Actually Meteoblue became my favorite smartphone weather app when I found out about it. 🙂

 

 

Agreed!  It’s not the best for forecasting, but is great for current/past conditions worldwide, which is all I care about for the sim.  Also great for soaring as pointed out above by @jcomm.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope the data could be used with the weather radar (e.g. PMDG), without the need to buy an addon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mirach said:

I hope the data could be used with the weather radar (e.g. PMDG), without the need to buy an addon.

We've already seen in the previews a weather radar in the default aircraft. This shows that there will likely be a way through the SDK to get accurate weather data from the Sim to populate a weather radar. Unlike FSX/P3D where this was never really possible until a few years ago when someone discovered there was a way to do it.

 

1b1SbFv.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, highflyer2020 said:

We've already seen in the previews a weather radar in the default aircraft. This shows that there will likely be a way through the SDK to get accurate weather data from the Sim to populate a weather radar. Unlike FSX/P3D where this was never really possible until a few years ago when someone discovered there was a way to do it.

I missed that... Perfect! 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, highflyer2020 said:

We've already seen in the previews a weather radar in the default aircraft.

turning left into storm cells ... quirky to say the least !


for now, cheers

john martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    45%
    $11,465.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...