Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

A fully tuned and working P3D 4.5x is a beautiful thing!

15 hours ago, DJJose said:

Mitch,

Glad that you are enjoying the latest version of P3D v4. Simming should be FUN!

I also think that it's an excellent training device. 😁

Jose

Hi Jose!

To be truthful, I barely flew P3D 4.4x as I was just not happy with the overall performance.  Loved the Ultra water...but the performance in general, turned me off.   That is absolutely not the case with the new kid on the block...v4.5 is smooth as butter, with no need to truly monitor the FPS, unless due to old habits die hard...lol.  Very happy with it...and will be flying it regularly on rotation with XP11.41 and FS9 from now on.

Mitch

• Like 2

Is it not possible that the improvement in overall performance is related more to a complete reinstall of P3D from scratch, rather than any dramatic difference between v4.4 and v4.5?

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Is it not possible that the improvement in overall performance is related more to a complete reinstall of P3D from scratch, rather than any dramatic difference between v4.4 and v4.5?

It of course, could be,  but that aside...it is the smoothest running version of them all....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I'm almost certain it's because of a fresh new install ... as I said, going forward choose your add-ons wisely and configure them carefully.  Just so you know, I did extensive performance testing V4.4 vs. V4.5 and V4.5 is about 1.7% lower FPS ... tested with ZERO add-ons.

Cheers, Rob.

Noted, and thanks.   I'll just try and stay with this installation, with good house keeping and such.  As I stated in the O.P,  when everything **IS** running top notch....P3D v4.5 shows no,  'long in the tooth' to this guy.  You have the seasons and water details, that I simply don't have available within XP11.41.  Now, P3D is gonna get used regularly once more, until or even alongside the Dam Buster, that seems to be upon the horizon.....

On 1/7/2020 at 5:34 AM, ZLA Steve said:

AFS2 has about 10% of the overhead and fidelity of both P3D and XP so not a really apples to apples comparison.

I think you are clearly wrong !!! 

Regarding to this issue I had posted at the  avsim Aerofly FS 2 Forum  on 18th September 2019:

On 9/18/2019 at 1:44 PM, mwilk said:

Any idea why performance is so much better in AFS2 than P3D. Is it because the graphics engine is that much better or is it just because AFS2 doesn't have the highly detailed aircraft and other addons that really impact performance?

Maybe I can enlighten you a little bit too:

Jarrad Marshall (acclaimed ORBX developer) wrote in this thread on ORBX forum - https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/134014-welcome-to-a-new-era-presenting-ftx-innsbruck-for-aerofly-fs2-flight-simulator/#comments

Jarrad Marshall:

Incredible performance on even mid-range systems - far superior to FSX/P3D.

Jarrad Marshall:

" As a VFR experience, this is the best sim currently on the market, hands down. As you can see from the screenshots below, there is a clear mark-up in terrain quality - mountains look crisp, photoreal roads and railways are discernible all the way to the horizon, and both the shadow and atmospheric engines are stunning. Best of all, performance is through the roof - having spent a great deal of time learning from the IPACS team, I have discovered that they are passionate about tweaking the very best performance out of their engine as possible.  "

He wrote further (same post as above):

Jarrad Marshall:

Lastly, the optimisation of this engine really makes a difference - performance, microstutters and VAS usage are genuinely nothing to worry about around .....

And John Venema wrote in the same thread regarding AFS2's inherent photorealism - https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/134014-welcome-to-a-new-era-presenting-ftx-innsbruck-for-aerofly-fs2-flight-simulator/#comments

John Venema:

The realism you're seeing is due to the advanced lighting system used by AFS2.

Well, I better rely on acclaimed developers and pros, not on someone guessing; and I rely on my own experiences ! 

Resume:  AFS 2 still has the most advanced and optimized graphics engine on market up to date - but unfortunately their developers are so slow, that it cannot show us its full potential.

Cheers,

Konrad

Edited by KBUR
  • Upvote 1

Enjoying the sun at Key West, via highway P3Dv4.5....

LOL!

2020-1-9-7-14-30-205.jpg

2020-1-9-7-47-51-158.jpg

Edited by Sesquashtoo

Yes I am in agreement with the title of this post. 

However, I have just upgraded from 4.3 to 4.5, as a Client install upgrade. The reason? To see those pbr graphics at work. Unfortunately, 4.5 would not boot up.

So I spent today selectively uninstalling and reinstalling some of my many add ons, to enable the sim to boot up! Finally identified the offending add on as UT Live. Once uninstalled, 4.5 booted up! Then GSX refused to work? So another uninstall/reinstall was needed. 

Suffice to say, I have only had time today for one test flight. A flight from EGHI to EGLC (all Orbx scenery), with Active Sky, in the Mjc Dash 8, complete with first officer from Multi Crew Experience! Landing at London City, at dusk, in heavy rain and nice breeze 220 at 22. My first thoughts were, good grief it's smoother than 4.3, with lots of car lights on the roads and good lord, EGLC looks so photo real I thought I'd get my feet wet walking from the office!😉 No noticeable jerkovision as we approached London from the east! 

So yes, P3d 4.5 looks great, if it's optimised and with all the tens of add ons all working inside the sim. But the one add on that worked flawlessly was MCE. Could that possibly be because MCE runs outside the sim? 

Bottom line is, with every P3d "upgrade" all your add ons are asked to continue running as they did in the previous versions. It's a big ask. Ones that don't require upgrading and either reinstalling or patching are a relief. But since no two P3d installs can be the same, it's somewhat of a lottery. I wonder if you will have to "fiddle" with config files in MSFS 2020?😉

3 hours ago, charlie130 said:

Yes I am in agreement with the title of this post. 

However, I have just upgraded from 4.3 to 4.5, as a Client install upgrade. The reason? To see those pbr graphics at work. Unfortunately, 4.5 would not boot up.

So I spent today selectively uninstalling and reinstalling some of my many add ons, to enable the sim to boot up! Finally identified the offending add on as UT Live. Once uninstalled, 4.5 booted up! Then GSX refused to work? So another uninstall/reinstall was needed. 

Suffice to say, I have only had time today for one test flight. A flight from EGHI to EGLC (all Orbx scenery), with Active Sky, in the Mjc Dash 8, complete with first officer from Multi Crew Experience! Landing at London City, at dusk, in heavy rain and nice breeze 220 at 22. My first thoughts were, good grief it's smoother than 4.3, with lots of car lights on the roads and good lord, EGLC looks so photo real I thought I'd get my feet wet walking from the office!😉 No noticeable jerkovision as we approached London from the east! 

So yes, P3d 4.5 looks great, if it's optimised and with all the tens of add ons all working inside the sim. But the one add on that worked flawlessly was MCE. Could that possibly be because MCE runs outside the sim? 

Bottom line is, with every P3d "upgrade" all your add ons are asked to continue running as they did in the previous versions. It's a big ask. Ones that don't require upgrading and either reinstalling or patching are a relief. But since no two P3d installs can be the same, it's somewhat of a lottery. I wonder if you will have to "fiddle" with config files in MSFS 2020?😉

Good post...have fun.  It was also my not seeing any GSX/GSX2  vehicles that started the whole full virgin installation from the full install zip...for v4.5.  That being done...I have not taken any other flights with anything since then...and...I believe that I wasn't even getting what P3D(x) could deliver, even with v4.4.   I don't even need to see the FPS readout now...for no matter where or what I fly over...not one stutter..and that can't be even said for XPlane still running under OpenGL.  You would still get some micro stutter...but not the dead smooth animation that I am getting with P3D v4.5 after a clean install and the umpteen files programs and scenery, that I have stuffed back into it.   Result?   Having a blast...and great flight sim satisfaction. Also, (I had gotten used to no seasons running mainly XP11.x) having seasons back...IS...a big deal...for immersion.  Seeing the west coast of B.C. under snow and ice...does make a difference to the feel of the flight....so I see that I missed that specification using XP.  Perhaps Laminar will create in-sim seasons...who knows...and of course we see that MSFS 2020 (by leaked shots) seems to will be having quite the seasonal depictions....we can look forward to that.  But for the interim ...I'm not suffering any, in flying v4.5!  No sir.....I can wait....

Edited by Sesquashtoo