Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

Ultra Wide viewing issues with aircraft - P3D

I have a 49" samsung 3840x2160 right in front of my face.  It's great

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I was thinking of getting this monitor, do you know if it can be run at 30Hz by setting

up a custom resolution in Nvidia Control Panel? I currently have the older, lower res

model which is great but only 1080 pixels vertically, but it can be run at 30Hz

which is essential for me.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

I have a 49" samsung 3840x2160 right in front of my face.  It's great

Can you confirm the viewing area height? That is,  not including the frame bezel. I think it's the same as my 3 x 24" Dells which is 12" height. 

you will have to google the specs.  I don't have them.  It's a X60R 43".  Typo writing 49" before. Yes it can be run at 30.  I myself run it at 30.  (Think goes down to 24).  I have something setup that automatically switches my refresh rate to 30 when I click the P3D icon.  Then when I close P3D it automatically reverts back to the native 60. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

5 minutes ago, micstatic said:

you will have to google the specs.  I don't have them. 

Looks like it’s a 43” 4K, so it will be about 21” high.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

2 hours ago, MarkDH said:

With respect, you seem to be agreeing with something nobody has disputed. But he said this monitor has 'the best aspect ratio for flight sim', which is hard to defend. (My reference to the instruments is a comment on the picture he posted.)

Oh, sorry, thought you were disagreeing by saying, "Really?"

And after going from 21:9 34" ultra wide to 16:9 32" 4k to 32:9 49" super ultra wide in a matter of months, I agree with him. It's the best aspect ratio I've ever seen. But it would be way to small in a 34", for example..... 49" or another large size is necessary. 

Currently using a Samsung 43" curved, after having a 50" 4K TV for 3 years. I loved the 50" flat screen, but since I built this https://www.simsamurai.com/?page_id=18

I needed to change it. The 43" fits this framework quite well (could likely accept a 49") and coupled with two smaller screens below for gauges/GPS offers a good cockpit experience. I think if I was only using one screen I'd prefer the 50" but the curved in this case works great. I do miss the vertical space of the large screen, but gain the expanded FOV. So yea, compromises and individual preferences abound.    

• Like 1

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

1 hour ago, Chocorua said:

I do miss the vertical space of the large screen, but gain the expanded FOV.

I don't know what you mean by 'gain the expanded FOV'. If you take a ruler and measure the actual width of your new screen, my rudimentary trigonometry tells me it cannot possibly be wider than the 50" 4K screen. I would guess all you're saying is you run the new screen zoomed out a bit more.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

1 hour ago, avi8tir said:

I agree with him. It's the best aspect ratio I've ever seen

Then I suppose you're working to an idiosyncratic definition of "best", which you will need to share if you are to convince me.

• Like 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

9 hours ago, micstatic said:

I don't think Ray is going to be happy with this.  Congrats on the new setup

Why would it bother me? Monitor choice is entirely subjective. If the OP prefers his 32:9 monitor over the 16:9 BenQ 3200U that is his choice. Coincidentally I visited a fellow enthusiast yesterday who was running 3 monitors around 27” in size and the extra side view was nice. But the downside was the virtual cockpit of the PMDG738 was quite distorted because of the extreme aspect ratio.

I prefer 16:9 but everyone is different. If the OP is happy then someone could be picking up a quality monitor for a very decent price.

I also run a 27” 2560*1440 BenQ on a separate PC via WideFS for Aivlasoft’s EFB, Little Navmap and Radar Contact. It would be interesting to know how those with one huge monitor handle airport navigation and a moving map display if they use one.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Additional info
  • Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I mean I was just kidding.  You have been an excellent brand ambassador for that monitor.  That's why I made the point. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, MarkDH said:

I don't know what you mean by 'gain the expanded FOV'. If you take a ruler and measure the actual width of your new screen, my rudimentary trigonometry tells me it cannot possibly be wider than the 50" 4K screen. I would guess all you're saying is you run the new screen zoomed out a bit more.

This was simply my perception I suppose, not based on anything else. The curve, the slight stretching, and the different zoom factor all lend to a wider FOV than the flat 50"...as I had it configured.

My wording could have been different!       

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Would luv to see a picture of your setup.😉

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit