I see the latest driver has a frame lock now from 20 to 1000 fps? Maybe it's time to reset our monitors to 60Hz and limit the fps using NCP? Will give it a try! Regards. Any input welcome (especially Rob & Steve).

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

What does the external limiter do that the internal P3D one doesn't?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Downloaded it today....clean install.

I was having incredible frames at Key West Intl. This is one of my high definition, payware airports.  Flew to Savannah and frames kept up high.  Still lots to try, but I'm impressed with the clarity of my graphics and my performance so far.  Very, very smooth.

I definitely see a difference.  Hope it's not a "fluke".

Stan

Edited by spilok
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Nvidia for dropping that minimum frame rate to 20!! 👍🍻

After downloading I did my standard GPU update protocol by stripping all the bloartware out of the 442.19's followed by a clean wipe of the previous version using DDU, and then a clean install.  I use both Nvidia Control Panel (NCP) and Nvidia Inspector (NVI) to configure my drivers, and did so this time as well.  I set my frame rate to 29 in NCP (my monitor is 60Hz), and while further configuring the drivers in NVI I noticed that NVI's latest "Frame Rate Limiter V3" setting was now also showing "29" (per the NCP setting).

I have a standard test flight I've used since FS2002... upgraded over the years to include the Carenado C185 and ORBX NorCal region in my current P3Dv4.5HF2 install.  With the 442.19's set to give me 29FPS in P3Dv4 my test flight was very smooth, with frames varying between 29 and (occasionally) 31.  The drivers looked great (as they always do for me).  There was only one... curiosity.

For 2 1/2 years (and over two computer builds) my P3Dv4 has always run the first core at 90%-100%, and my sim always ran fine.  There are those who say maxing out that first core is bad but that simply isn't the case here.  But now using the Nvidia frame rate limiter, my first core usage ran between 50%-80% during this test flight.  Sim still looked good (no blurries), but I'll need to do further testing before I give up RTSS Scanline Sync x/2 to lock my frame rate.

More flying and then I'll report back,

Greg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, threegreen said:

What does the external limiter do that the internal P3D one doesn't?

The internal FPS limiter is effectively broken for its intended purpose as it introduces studders, you have to use unlimited with Vsync in v4.1 and up

V3 the internal limiter worked fine.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

1 hour ago, lownslo said:

For 2 1/2 years (and over two computer builds) my P3Dv4 has always run the first core at 90%-100%, and my sim always ran fine.  There are those who say maxing out that first core is bad but that simply isn't the case here.  But now using the Nvidia frame rate limiter, my first core usage ran between 50%-80% during this test flight.  Sim still looked good (no blurries), but I'll need to do further testing before I give up RTSS Scanline Sync x/2 to lock my frame rate.

More flying and then I'll report back,

Greg

Same experience here... (GTX 1070).

FPS set to 30. (and 29, as a test..)

For now, I have retired RTSS :cool:

If there is a downside, I have not seen it as yet.. 

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Upvote 2

Bert

Although, I will point out that if you are downloading the game ready driver from Nvidia, its not the game ready driver!

Its the DCH driver which does not contain NCP.

So if you a like me and use DDU to remove all traces of the old Nvidia driver before installing the new one, you might find yourself

without the Nvidia Control Panel and find yourself being directed to Microsoft Store to get it and having to jump through

all kinds of loops doing the microsoft happy dance.

If you want your download to include NCP get it from here:

https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/geforce-442-19-whql-driver-download,1.html

or

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/drivers/essentials/nvidia-geforce/

both of those sites are reputable. I believe.

• Like 1

Hmm, I got mine from Nvidia.. no DDU, just Express Install..

Got the new NCP :cool:

• Like 1

Bert

9 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Got the new NCP

No you didn't😁

It's the one you already had installed.

I really don't know if makes any difference though.

But its good to know. Because Nvidia ain't going to tell you.

1 hour ago, Avidean said:

No you didn't😁

It's the one you already had installed.

I really don't know if makes any difference though.

But its good to know. Because Nvidia ain't going to tell you.

Well.. guess what.. it allowed me to set fps down to 20.. so something changed.. :happy:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

6 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Well.. guess what.. it allowed me to set fps down to 20.. so something changed.. :happy:

Tried that 20 FPS. Quickly removed that1 S.... show.

6 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

Tried that 20 FPS. Quickly removed that1 S.... show.

That was not the point... try 29-30 :cool:

• Like 1

Bert