Sign in to follow this  
dyl55

approach procedure GNS530

Hello everyone, 

I'm coming to you because I'm still struggling with my approach. 

Let's say a flight to Santa Barbara KSBA, rwy 07, RNAV or ILS

I flight with the GNS 530 from RXP and the realair Turbine duke, flight plan load, take off, following the gps (cdi on gps, autopilot NAV), everything good till there.

Then I'd like to learn the 2 approach (ILS and RNAV), so for the RNAV :

In my gns530 I chose the RNAV 07 approach via GAVIOTA and hit load, CDI still on GPS, near GAVIOTA, I select activate approach, once I see the yellow glide slope I hit the APR on autopilot, the plane follow the approach but he does not descent 😞

What should I put in NAV1 and 2 frequency or what course for my plane to follow the glide slope ? Do I have to switch the CDI from GPS to VLOC ? If yes which frequency to follow ? If I use the ILS frequency, it is an ILS approach instead of RNAV ? and I don't won't cause not every airports have ILS.

Now The ILS approach : 

I load my ILS approach on the gps (CDI still on GPS), put the frequency of ils in nav 1 and the course on HSI, right before the first approach point on gps I activate the approach, near my Initial fix I switch the cdi to VLOC, hit the APR and as soon as I intercept the lock, the glide slope show up and the autopilot should switch from NAV to APR and follow the descent path ? Am I right ?

Sorry if this is stupid question but After reading a lot of thing on approach I still can't make it work correctly and that's not cool when Everything goes well till you miss the runway because the plane does not go down 😞

Thank you in advance for your help

Well, tried the ILS today and the plane did not follow the glide slope so I must miss something with the ILS too 

1 hour ago, dyl55 said:

Well, tried the ILS today and the plane did not follow the glide slope so I must miss something with the ILS too 

If you haven't done so, try some approaches at another airport, like KSFO. If you have the same problems, suggest you post on the RXP GNS530 forum to make sure you have correctly setup the various GNS530 options using the GNS530 setup panel:

d05a4573a2.JPG

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ark said:

make sure you have correctly setup the various GNS530 options using the GNS530 setup panel

Important to point out that settings required may vary somewhat from aircraft to aircraft because unfortunately not all aircraft developers (sim) write to a common standard.  When you post in the RXP support area be sure to mention not only the airport and approach, but also the aircraft and as Al says, your current GNS settings.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I'd suggest you look on YT for a video on how to use the GNS530 (real one) 

Helped me alot

http://www.ruscool.co.nzBanner_MJC5.png05_10_2012_14_25_54_C-GLXV_New_Paint_Apr

P3D 4.5:), X-Plane 11.55:(, MSFS 2020:), MJC Q400, Saab 340A, CRJ550, B1900, X-Crafts ERJ/EMB; Win 10x64, 32GB Ram, Samsung drives, RTX 3070 GPU, 5.3 Ghz Intel 1200. Turboprops and RJ's only.

33 minutes ago, B1900 said:

I'd suggest you look on YT for a video on how to use the GNS530 (real one) 

Helped me alot

From his writing it appears he did everything correctly for the rnav

It could be some gns to sim settings though but generally an approach with LPV mins should allow for a descent when approach mode selected

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi all,

thanks for the reply, I tried for the ILS, first attempt failed, and the problem was that I hit the APR too late so the plane did not catched the glide, tried again and hit it sooner and everything worked.

So I get it for the ILS, have now to try with the RNAV (in case airport doesnt have ILS) but still the same question, for the rnav lpv approach should I leave the CDI in GPS mode and hit apr for the plane to follow the path or should I switch to vloc ? If yes what frequency should i put in NAV ?

Thanks

43 minutes ago, dyl55 said:

So I get it for the ILS, have now to try with the RNAV (in case airport doesnt have ILS) but still the same question, for the rnav lpv approach should I leave the CDI in GPS mode and hit apr for the plane to follow the path or should I switch to vloc ? If yes what frequency should i put in NAV ?

It's entirely a GPS approach, so you stay in GPS mode.  For LPV approaches like this there are two keys to glideslope capture success with the Garmin units.  First, as always make sure you're at the proper altitude to intercept the glideslope from below, and second DO NOT change to APR mode until you see the glideslope come alive on your HSI or CDI.

Scott

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dyl55 said:

Hi all,

thanks for the reply, I tried for the ILS, first attempt failed, and the problem was that I hit the APR too late so the plane did not catched the glide, tried again and hit it sooner and everything worked.

Thanks

Edit - tttocs already answered while I was typing.

Edited by vrdubin6
Question already answered while I typed.

13600K @ 5.6 | Gigabyte Windforce 4090 | LG C2 42"

16 minutes ago, dyl55 said:

Thank you all, i'll try this next flight 😄

Also make sure it says LPV in green on the bottom of your GNS unit.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

7 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

From his writing it appears he did everything correctly for the rnav

It could be some gns to sim settings though but generally an approach with LPV mins should allow for a descent when approach mode selected

What GNS database cycle are you using?  If LPV does not light up on the GNS, maybe you need newer navdata that includes the LPV approach for that airport..  If that is the case, contact me via PM.

On my Duke, the ALT indication on the autopilot changes to GS at glideslope capture.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bert

10 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

What GNS database cycle are you using?  If LPV does not light up on the GNS, maybe you need newer navdata that includes the LPV approach for that airport..  If that is the case, contact me via PM.

On my Duke, the ALT indication on the autopilot changes to GS at glideslope capture.

thanks, i'll check that this week 🙂

22 hours ago, tttocs said:

DO NOT change to APR mode until you see the glideslope come alive on your HSI or CDI.

@dyl55 In addition, please review the RXP GNS User's Manual, Settings chapter, AFMS section.

There is a 'convenience' settings which does it automatically if you want.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

1 hour ago, RXP said:

There is a 'convenience' settings which does it automatically if you want.

And even if you do not want the convenience settings on an ongoing basis, it is indeed a way to test the approach.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere