Hey guys,

well my Saitek headset has word not allowed itself.

no sound from speakers are coming through.

So I opened it up and for some god forsaken reason the solder has come off where the wire is held.on the right side

and on the left side the speaker is cutting in and out.

now my question is should I get it fixed or

shall i buy a new headset??

what are your recommendations for a headset for around 70 bucks Canadian?

thanks 

mike

get a new  one,   I  got  a  usb head  set  Logitech  headset  340  for  around  $30  aust,  quite  happy  with it  so  far

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Sound is an area that most people overlook and try to save money on and in my opinion it's a mistake. Especially as sound engineering complexities and quality in games increase. I would certainly replace your headset, it's not worth saving but I would also suggest that you choose something from a company who's only business is the sound business. Just forget "gaming" headsets from companies like saitek, logitech, razer...whatever. These companies do a lot of things and they can't be expected to get everything right. I'm not saying there are not decent ones but most of them are poor in my experience and are more about style, packaging and awful "sound enhancement technologies" that muddy the audio and mask its deficiencies. 

The trouble with my advice is that it also means you will need to increase the budget. I don't know if that is an option for you or not but I would, if I were you, be looking at something from someone like Sennheiser. They have decent offerings that are even aimed at the "gamer" space but it's done right and at varying levels of cost. Sound is all they do and they do it well. At their lower end I would recommend the GSP 300. Yes, it's a little over the amount you want to spend (I just looked it up on Amazon Canada and its on offer $100 down from $130 which is a steel for this headset and makes it an absolute no brainer in my mind) and it doesn't look great to my eye but the sound quality is excellent for the price point, the microphone is also very good for this price point and it is without doubt the most comfortable headset I have ever worn. It's not perfect, it has it's weaknesses, but anything does at this amount of money but I feel certain that the audio quality will be a huge step up from your Saitek one.

There are of course better and more exspensive sets out their from Sennheiser and many other qualtity audio companies. Frankly, you can pay what you want and up to truly eye watering sums but I can't with good conscience recommend anything less than what I just did.

Anyway, I hope that was helpful in some way.

Regards

Edited by Jazz
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

1 hour ago, Jazz said:

Sound is an area that most people overlook and try to save money on and in my opinion it's a mistake. Especially as sound engineering complexities and quality in games increase. I would certainly replace your headset, it's not worth saving but I would also suggest that you choose something from a company who's only business is the sound business. Just forget "gaming" headsets from companies like saitek, logitech, razer...whatever. These companies do a lot of things and they can't be expected to get everything right. I'm not saying there are not decent ones but most of them are poor in my experience and are more about style, packaging and awful "sound enhancement technologies" that muddy the audio and mask its deficiencies. 

The trouble with my advice is that it also means you will need to increase the budget. I don't know if that is an option for you or not but I would, if I were you, be looking at something from someone like Sennheiser. They have decent offerings that are even aimed at the "gamer" space but it's done right and at varying levels of cost. Sound is all they do and they do it well. At their lower end I would recommend the GSP 300. Yes, it's a little over the amount you want to spend (I just looked it up on Amazon Canada and its on offer $100 down from $130 which is a steel for this headset and makes it an absolute no brainer in my mind) and it doesn't look great to my eye but the sound quality is excellent for the price point, the microphone is also very good for this price point and it is without doubt the most comfortable headset I have ever worn. It's not perfect, it has it's weaknesses, but anything does at this amount of money but I feel certain that the audio quality will be a huge step up from your Saitek one.

There are of course better and more exspensive sets out their from Sennheiser and many other qualtity audio companies. Frankly, you can pay what you want and up to truly eye watering sums but I can't with good conscience recommend anything less than what I just did.

Anyway, I hope that was helpful in some way.

Regards

Actually I have been looking at the sennheisers.

i can remember back 20 m years ago when a friend of mine used them for DJing 

and the sound was so crisp 

thou he paid 350 dollars back then also.

can you please send me a link to the one your talking about 

Edited by mikeymike

Check your messages. I sent you the link through there. Not sure if I was allowed to post it on the forum.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Since you have your present headphones opened up, you might as well solder up the wires again and fix them. Then, if you decide to change them for a better pair, you can simply have your present set soldier on for a bit and you'll have a bit of time to save up for and research a decent choice, maybe even find a sale. Solder is cheap. Soldering irons are cheap too and soldering a couple of wires is not hard to learn how to do even if you have never done that kind of thing before.

As far as sound is concerned. This is a thing which a lot of people make a big mistake on. Often people think buying some super-duper bass-enhancing mega headphones will be the answer to everything. It won't.

You see the trouble is, a professional sound editor who knows what they are doing would never create or mix sounds whilst wearing headphones such as those which allegedly enhance sound, because they know that the only way anyone would hear the sound as intended, would be if the end user also had the exact same effect-enhancing headphones. So if you listen to their stuff on headphones which enhance stuff in some way, you won't hear the sounds as they were intended to be heard. This is a mistake lots of home music producers make too incidentally - they'll mix what they imagine is their 'killer track' on some fancy headphones, send it to some producer and then be surprised and mystified when said producer (who of course did not hear it on the same pair of headphones) didn't think it sounded amazing, because it didn't, for obvious reasons.

So, with that in mind, what you want (if you are going for headphones) is what some people call 'DJ' headphones, which should more correctly be referred to as 'monitoring' headphones. These have a flat response which does not enhance sound in any way, instead attempting to reproduce it accurately. Such headphones should be very good at reproducing sounds well if they have been done properly, i.e. with a correct amount of headroom and a proper average sound level of -12dB. So, if you do a search for 'DJ' or 'Monitor' headphones, you should find some for not a great deal of money. Contrary to what a lot of people will tell you, you don't have to spend a fortune on monitor headphones either; anyone who tells you otherwise may very well not know what they are talking about and simply be impressed by brand names if they advocate those alone, although if you look out for some names you've heard of (for example Sony) when seeking monitor headphones, that would be a reasonably sensible thing to do.

Alternatively, you can go for studio monitor speakers, but then you really are going to have to spend a lot of money, because they are not cheap, but they absolutely will reproduce sound in the best way possible, exactly as it was when produced originally.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I just got a SteelSeries Arctis 5 and like it a lot.  It has a cool little dial to balance the sound between two outputs.  They call it ChatMix.  So you can assign 1 to P3D and the other to Vpilot (VATSIM).  So on the fly I can make ATC louder or quieter as needed.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I just got a SteelSeries Arctis 5 and like it a lot.  It has a cool little dial to balance the sound between two outputs.  They call it ChatMix.  So you can assign 1 to P3D and the other to Vpilot (VATSIM).  So on the fly I can make ATC louder or quieter as needed.  

Very interested in this feature. I understand that the headset appears twice as playback items in Windows. Can you assign the ATC in P3D to one and all other sounds to the other to get the same results?

Asus Maximus Hero XI , i7-8086, 16 Gb RAM, nVidia GTX 1080 ti