Sign in to follow this  
SledDriver

REX Environment Force doesn't shut down completely

Recently I started finding that when I tried to start REF it didn't load the programme.

The I discovered that even when it is not running I have this entry in my TaskMan for REX Environment Force.

If I kill that entry in TaskMan, then REF will load properly next time.

But when my session is done and I close REF, I am again left with the REF entry still in TaskMan although there is no sign of REF actually running.

So next time I try to start it, it fails again and have to kill it in TaskMan yet again before it will load properly.

Anyone else seen this?

The fault has survived the latest update to REF 2.2.1 today.

I tried to contact REX support, but their horrendous support experience proved too difficult to navigate, asking me account questions I simply didn't have an answer to. What a load of word not allowed that is.

Great products. User hostile support.

Sorry I can't help. Seems REX support is a contradiction in terms.  Turning off the later post about it is also not a wise move by Avsim. Tom would be very disappointed I'm sure. 

Your report is consistent with having the highlighted setting on.

1.jpg

I have the same problem (sometimes). So i made an Autohotkey-script to start REF:

Menu, Tray, Icon

SetBatchLines -1
SendMode Input
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%

Process, Exist, rexenvforce.exe
REFPStatus := errorLevel
if (REFPStatus != 0) and (WinExist("REX Environment Force") = 0x0)
{
	Process, Close, rexenvforce.exe
	Process, WaitClose, rexenvforce.exe
	Run, "D:\FluSi\Prepar3D v4\REXModules\rexenvforce.exe"
}
else if (REFPStatus = 0) and (WinExist("REX Environment Force") = 0x0)
{
	Run, "D:\FluSi\Prepar3D v4\REXModules\rexenvforce.exe"
}

WinWaitClose, REX Environment Force
Process, Exist, rexenvforce.exe
REFPStatus := errorLevel
if (REFPStatus != 0)
{
	Process, Close, rexenvforce.exe
}

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SledDriver said:

Recently I started finding that when I tried to start REF it didn't load the programme.

The I discovered that even when it is not running I have this entry in my TaskMan for REX Environment Force.

If I kill that entry in TaskMan, then REF will load properly next time.

But when my session is done and I close REF, I am again left with the REF entry still in TaskMan although there is no sign of REF actually running.

So next time I try to start it, it fails again and have to kill it in TaskMan yet again before it will load properly.

Anyone else seen this?

The fault has survived the latest update to REF 2.2.1 today.

I tried to contact REX support, but their horrendous support experience proved too difficult to navigate, asking me account questions I simply didn't have an answer to. What a load of word not allowed that is.

Great products. User hostile support.

It just asks for your name and email. Then your forum name.

Didn't you ever register your product?

Doesn't seem very onerous to me.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

With EF when you exit P3D you need to bring up the EF control panel from the hidden icons bottom right screen then exit EF and it bring up and message re-setting the default shaders. If you do not do this even after re-booting your PC it will be in the background waiting for you to start P3D. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I mean, it's exactly like any other support based on a ticket system. If one is able to use the internet then one should be able to use that too, in my opinion. I'm also not a fan of them closing the forum but c'mon, this reminds me of those infomercials where people have huge issues doing the most mundane stuff like peeling an apple.

The ticket system has been coming to all devs support, you only have to look at the public forums and you can see why, example go to the MSFS forum and raise a concern about the new sim you may get stamped on, forums have become more toxic in the last 5 years you see it in the devs own forums now. 

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

The problem with "support fora" is this: For every decent answer, there's around 50 moronic comments, or just plain wrong rubbish. I have no problem with a ticket system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-RFRY said:

With EF when you exit P3D you need to bring up the EF control panel from the hidden icons bottom right screen then exit EF and it bring up and message re-setting the default shaders. If you do not do this even after re-booting your PC it will be in the background waiting for you to start P3D. 

This is most likely Windows 10 restarting a program that was running when Windows was shut down. I can see no setting that allows Rex Environment Force to start with Windows. It is not hard to watch  it at work, when it is closed, it renames the Shaders folder to Shaders - Backup,thus effectively removing the Shaders folder and allowing a new one to be built when P3D is next started.

Because I also kept forgetting to close Rex Environment Force and indeed Active Sky, I now use a batch file and when I can remember to use that, it closes down P3D v4, Rex Environmant Force and Active Sky.

Here it is to try if required.

@echo
cls
taskkill /F /im Prepar3D.exe
timeout /t 6
taskkill /F /im rexenvforce.exe 
timeout /t 4
taskkill /F /im AS_P3Dv4.exe
timeout /t 4
exit

This one starts them all in turn but will need to be edited to match the host P3D v4 root folder.

@echo
cls
rem Rex Environment Force
cd /D G:\P3D v4\REXModules\
start rexenvforce.exe
timeout /t 6
rem AS_P3Dv4
cd /D C:\Program Files (x86)\HiFi\AS_P3Dv4\
start AS_P3Dv4.exe
timeout /t 4
rem P3D v4
cd /D G:\P3D v4
start Prepar3D.exe
timeout /t 4
exit

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

The problem with "support fora" is this: For every decent answer, there's around 50 moronic comments, or just plain wrong rubbish. I have no problem with a ticket system.

I wouldn't call them moronic, but sometimes not very helpful.  And what we have found over the past 10 years of doing this that about 90% of all issues cannot be answered with same response.  We offer the Discord Channel for general help, but support best happens one on one.  More time was spent managing, organizing, and moderating than being able to answer questions effectively.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Yeah, sorry everyone. I was having a general bad day, then the sim/EF had problems, then the support thing wouldn't work for me etc.

I've calmed down now 🙂

On 2/25/2020 at 1:17 PM, Reader said:

This is most likely Windows 10 restarting a program that was running when Windows was shut down.

No it's definitely not that. I'm currently working through this with REX support. If I find a fix I'll report back here.