Sign in to follow this  
charlie130

GTN database and P3d airfields mismatch?

So I decided to buy Orbx New Guinea bush airfields, to try my hand at bush flying.

The GTN database does not show any bush airfields that I have installed from Orbx. Obviously the GTN does not read the scenery cfg from my P3d install.

So the question is, how can I get the simulators database into the GTN?

Plan g has a superb facility to update it's map database for the simulator in use. I wonder if someone knows how this can be done for the GTN?

Whist I appreciate the GTN database enables pilots to fly in real world navigation, that's little use to my flights in New Guinea, using simulated strips by an add on maker, in my simulated bush aircraft!

Anyone know how I can get GTN to see the airfields?

Regards

David

Unfortunately, I don't think you can automatically scan the airstrips...
I myself create the airstrips in the rxp gtn750 as user waypoint!
There you also have the possibility to mark them as 'airport'...

If there is another solution, I would be really very happy...

Edited by ggerolamo
  • Like 1

kind regards, ggerolamo

spacer.png                       spacer.png

The GTN utilizes real world Garmin data.  It does not, as you have discovered, read the P3D data.  If the Garmin data does not include those strips (and I don't believe it does), you won't have it with the GTN.  What you may be able to do is create a custom saved waypoint, but I haven't tinkered with doing that.

IIRC, years and versions ago Garmin realized the need to limit the airport database based on runway length. Can't remember what the minimum is though.

• Like 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Just tried it with airport  'Aiome', , wasn't listed  but if  you do a   'direct-to'   then create a custom waypoint it will be saved with the name 'Aiome' , of course you will not have any info on runways or elevations but as you are exploring this will be well within your talents David and no doubt you will be doing some more great youtube video' for us. 

edit , should have added position yourself at the airport (as in this example Aiome)

bob

Edited by onebob
  • Upvote 1

This Garmin page provides the information you may be looking for.  The runway length restriction is applied to the Worldwide database and if you read the final note on the page you will see that regional databases are not affected.  What you need is a regional database for the area you are flying.  

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/aviationalerts/service-advisory-1604-worldwide-navigation-database/

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

42 minutes ago, fppilot said:

This Garmin page provides the information you may be looking for.  The runway length restriction is applied to the Worldwide database and if you read the final note on the page you will see that regional databases are not affected.  What you need is a regional database for the area you are flying.  

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/aviationalerts/service-advisory-1604-worldwide-navigation-database/

So how does one find the regional databases, purchase and install on a PC for use in the simulator? Thanks.

2 hours ago, charlie130 said:

So I decided to buy Orbx New Guinea bush airfields, to try my hand at bush flying.

The GTN database does not show any bush airfields that I have installed from Orbx. Obviously the GTN does not read the scenery cfg from my P3d install.

So the question is, how can I get the simulators database into the GTN?

Plan g has a superb facility to update it's map database for the simulator in use. I wonder if someone knows how this can be done for the GTN?

Whist I appreciate the GTN database enables pilots to fly in real world navigation, that's little use to my flights in New Guinea, using simulated strips by an add on maker, in my simulated bush aircraft!

Anyone know how I can get GTN to see the airfields?

Regards

David

welcome to real world flying... 🙂

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

36 minutes ago, paddler said:

So how does one find the regional databases, purchase and install on a PC for use in the simulator? 

If you purchased a database direct from Garmin you would need to provide a real GTN serial number. The SD card you use is locked to that GTN.

When I used Jeppesen in the real world, I did not have to do that.

If you considered doing that, Jepp would be your best place to look at.

David Porrett

47 minutes ago, paddler said:

So how does one find the regional databases, purchase and install on a PC for use in the simulator? Thanks.

I have not done so, but you might try contacting Garmin and inquiring about a regional database for their GTN Trainer.  The sim GTN gauges interface with the Garmin Trainer.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks for the replies guys😁

I think the short answer is to position at the airfield, using the simulators go to airport facility. Then open the GTN and create a user waypoint with the airfield code. Most of these New Guinea bush strips have three letter identifiers. The GTN then stores these and permits a flight plan to be constructed. A Plan G open on the topographical map page helps and as stated previously, Plan G can import all airfields direct from whatever sim you are using.

Bob, thanks for the accolade! My intention was indeed to record some flights. If one puts real world weather on (Active Sky, crosswinds plus turbulence) at the altitude most of the strips are at, (7000+') then things get interesting.

I tried a couple today and I think the old "aviator" in my bones came out!😉

Most people can fly an FMC in a computer jet, which becomes a boring routine after s while. Flying a 1955 Winjeel (Ants) into a bumpy sloped grass field at 9000' altitude, really gets your attention span going! But you have to find the field first.....🤗

Regards

David

• Like 1

4 hours ago, charlie130 said:

Most people can fly an FMC in a computer jet, which becomes a boring routine after s while. Flying a 1955 Winjeel (Ants) into a bumpy sloped grass field at 9000' altitude, really gets your attention span going! But you have to find the field first.....🤗

Hummm.  Were there GPS instruments when those grass fields were constructed?  Or for years after....  The V is the most important letter in VFR.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
ASUS