Sign in to follow this  
richjb2

FSX Reinstall Issue

Today, I had reinstall FSX.  I thought that I had deleted all the earlier FSX software, but I may have missed some items related to FSX on the uninstall process before deleting FSX.

I have tried several times to re-install FSX but to no avail.  After re-install, I start FSX, the screen goes black, that opening music plays and continues to play, but nothing happens.  FSX starts in full screen mode, not windowed mode.  I can use the keyboard "Windows" key to display the taskbar, and can mouse over other open programs that are open.  I can try to open Task Manager, but nothing happens.  I can get to the Windows menu and either shutdown or restart windows.  After the re-start, some of the programs that I tired to open when the FSX window was all black and using the Windows did start. 

In the Event Viewer there were many error messages, one that is consistent is this one:

The server {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.  

This is a DistributedComm error 10010.  There were many, many of the same message depending on how long I let the FSX screen stay black and the music playing.  Usually, the set of messages ends with indications of the system shutdown. 

I went back through and did the PMDG FSX uninstall steps.  I also ran the Software licensing reset program talked about at top of this Forum for resetting the number of installs.  That was not the issue. 

The registry entry {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} has to do with the Thumbnail Cache.  Not sure it's a good idea to delete. 

There is some talk about a trojan virus affecting this entry, but with the AV programs (Defender, Norton, & Malwarebytes), nothing appears in any of the scans. 

Short of having to take down Windows for the fifth time since my new build in November, any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Rich Boll

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

I guess we need to know:

1. Why you had to re-install FSX.

2. Why you've had to re-install Windows 4 times.

Some observations.

You did restart after each service pak install.

I was unaware that there is a re-install limit any more.

Kind of sounds like driver issues in part.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Which Win version?  Perhaps there's a problem with the disc? Origin?

Your other issue: I suggest if you're not successful with a re-install with the MSFS discs, then for a small one-time fee, install the hassle-free FSX-Steam version.  And then maybe sit back and wait for FS 2020...

5 hours ago, richjb2 said:

FSX starts in full screen mode, not windowed mode.

This can be easily stopped by editing C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg.

Find the [MAIN] section and change Maximized=1 to Maximized=0.

The black screen can probably be cured by deleting C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders

and C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10, if found.

Hi Bob,

I was backdating my FSX to support Cal Classics.  My A/I traffic wasn't working and neither was the scenery.  I thought it was related to some changes that Orbix or FSUG might have done to my system.  It turns it my decision was a bit hasty and that the issue may be related to Steve's DX10 fixer, and further there are likely solutions.  Oh well.

Windows going on an off 4 days had as much to do with P3D issues as it had to do with MS Office 365 issues.  Let's just say, this last computer build was hardest one that I have ever done.  

I did restart after each SP issue, and FSX worked until I began work to back date it to the 1950s.:-)  My plan is to use P3D for modern flying and FSX for the good ol days of flying. 

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Hi Reader,

I never made any switch changes to the [MAIN] folder.  The issue arose on the very first start.  I did not get to the Shaders file.  I'll reinstall again later today and keep that one in mind. 

I just can't understand why I'm having a load issue unless that one registry entry is causing problems.

thanks,

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Rich,

the default is for FSX to start in fullscreen, therefore you would not need to have made any changes. The idea was to allow you to start FSX in windowed mode to troubleshoot your problem.

You will be able to reinstall FSX as many times as you like but as the shaders are never deleted, if the problem is there, it will never go away. Obviously, this is only advice and you are indeed free to ignore it and go your own way.

Problems with Office lead me to ask further about your latest build problems

Bob

Edited by richjb2

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

After re-installing, going through the initial set up steps BUT NOT SELECTING A FREE FLIGHT or FLYING the sim, I closed out FSX.  Based on advice from the Cal Classics forum, I went into the FSX.cfg file and set Maximized=0.  I restarted FSX, and it STARTED!  Yea.  I flew the little ultralight around just fine.

Then I did the Alt_Enter switch to full screen. That's when the screen went black, nothing showed.  Actually, the little windowed screen kind of stayed there, the noise of the engine and airstream wind continued, but the screen did not respond.  I could not tell whether the airplane flew or not. Again, I had to use the Windows key to bring up the Start menu to re-start Windows to get out of it. 

So there is something with the full screen mode or with switching to full screen that could preventing FSX from running.  Any thoughts? 

Running Win 10 with a RTX 2060.  I was using NVIDIA Control Panel with the recommended settings found an AVSIM, but I reset it back to defaults before I did my first uninstall/re-install of FSX. I was using Steve's DX Fixer.  I did uninstall it and have not reinstalled yet.  Could there be something still hanging around for it?  Anything other add-on or graphics setting that could be interfering with FSX running correctly in full screen?

Thanks for your help, Tom & Erik over at Cal Classics.  Thank you on AVSIM for your help as well!

Rich Boll  

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Some things to think about.

After a reinstall of default FSX, don't do any tweaks period. Any change to the cfg. should not be necessary. Start with default gpu settings. I would suggest changing between windowed and full screen without short cuts. I.E. in full screen, right click/uncheck hide menu bar/view, instead at least until the sim is stable. No DX fixer, add ons at first. Nothing. You should be able to run the sim right out of the box. If not, there's other problems you need to track down first. 

Bob

There are lots of references to DCOM errors on the internet if you use a search engine. I cannot vouch for it, but this one seems one of the most helpful:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/409a4a/problem_solver_slow_cpu_and_no_indication_as_to/

Beware the sites that offer a quick fix by downloading their software.

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

22 hours ago, Reader said:

This can be easily stopped by editing C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg.

Find the [MAIN] section and change Maximized=1 to Maximized=0.

4 hours ago, richjb2 said:

Based on advice from the Cal Classics forum, I went into the FSX.cfg file and set Maximized=0.  I restarted FSX, and it STARTED! Thanks for your help, Tom & Erik over at Cal Classics. 

🤡

Sorry Reader.  I see that you mentioned that as well.  

My apologies.  

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

8 hours ago, John Hinson said:

There are lots of references to DCOM errors on the internet if you use a search engine. I cannot vouch for it, but this one seems one of the most helpful:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/409a4a/problem_solver_slow_cpu_and_no_indication_as_to/

Beware the sites that offer a quick fix by downloading their software.

John

Thanks John,

On the Microsoft website, it says that the 10016 warning messages are normal and intentional as a part of the way they programmed things (over my head).  The reddit article does address the ERROR message and the specific registry entry, so I may try to investigate that one. 

Still trying to figure out why FSX runs in windowed mode and not in full screen. 

Thanks,

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS