Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

What's wrong with AI traffic and wind directions?

Even when when surface wind at a given airport is stronger than 6 knots and I'm on landing approach with perfect headwind conditions, It happens that all AI traffic is using the opposite runway. It does not happen every time but often enough to be very annoying.

For example, I'm loading a saved flight situation from YSCB to YSSY (2019, December 12, 04 pm) on landing approach for RW 16L Surface wind is from 154° with 20 knots, but AI is using 34 L/R runways and 25 runway. How can this happen?

I'm using Active Sky (historical weather on),  FT YSSY and ORBX AUv2.

Edited by Nemo
  • Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I get it too...very annoying haven't been able to fix it.  Yours is the first post I've seen on it

harry

noticed your using P3D44 & a mix (?) of UTL & AIG traffic.

P3D452 has a feature to manage the primary/secondary runway directions "better" than earlier vers.

it is working well for me (with AIG alone) at other airports ...... unfortunately can't talk about YSSY per se.

for now, cheers

john martin

16 minutes ago, vadriver said:

harry

noticed your using P3D44 & a mix (?) of UTL & AIG traffic.

P3D452 has a feature to manage the primary/secondary runway directions "better" than earlier vers.

it is working well for me (with AIG alone) at other airports ...... unfortunately can't talk about YSSY per se.

Sorry, did not yet update my signature. I'm on 4.5HF2, UTL is only being used for GA traffic.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

I'm on 4.5HF2, UTL is only being used for GA traffic

harry

my local knowledge is that the 34's are preferred most times to about 10kts downwind.

how your afcad is set will influence AI particularly with all runways open to landing.& all with precision appproaches.

have you checked AIG for afcad tweaks / suggestions. 

for now, cheers

john martin

Using Airport Design Editor to modify AFCAD airport characteristics you can shut down runways for take off or landing to modify which runways Ai aircraft can choose from. It's not a perfect fit all scenarios but it does cut down on AI land/takeoff on your approach or departure. In others words if prevailing winds are out of the west you can prevent AI from landing with a tailwind,

Edited by Dolphinhog

If your AFD is using Jim Vile's crosswind method, and runway 07/25 is the last runway on the list, it could be cause 34s to be preferred incorrectly over the 16s (depending on the parallel setup). It's a dark art, crosswind runway setup.

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

My main question: Why does it happen only sometimes, but still too often...With wind from 155 (20 knots) it should not happen at all that ai uses rw 34L/R. I'm using FT YSSY original AFD or Urmels advanced AFD file. Both are designed with so-called crosswind method.

Could it be that the latest P3D Hotfix "Fixed issue where airport runway secondary landing attributes would be ignored and processed as primary landing attributes." has something to do with it? If I remember correctly I did not realize this issue before. Now it happens every now and then that ai is using wrong runways according to wind conditions, not only at YSSY.

- Harry 

I thought I was going insane myself too Harry!!  I have seen the same thing as you have for months.

In fact, I had AI using both side of the same runway in a 25 knot wind - meaning some were landing and taking off into the wind at the same time others were landing and taking off downwind on the same runway at the same time.

I thought is was a bad AFD, but it also happens at multiple airports, payware or stock.  I even reset the traffic by turning if off and on again so the AI could "read" the correct wind.

Doesn't happen all the time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Could it be that upper wind conditions have an influence too? Just to stay at my YSSY situation with a surface wind from 155 (> 20 knots), I realized that wind at 3000 ft was from 220. I changed this  via ActiveSky to 180, et voila, AI traffic changed immediately from 25/34s to 7/16s usage.

Edited by Nemo
  • Like 1

- Harry 

Just some thoughts based on the comments i see here. Are the AI taking off after u arrive at the airport on the correct runway? If so, i believe its an issue with active sky/sim limitation. Aircraft that are landing are givien their runway assignments when high up and far away from the airport. Vs departures are given a runway when they call for taxi. 

Often, ive found that active sky cant send the weather for the arrival airport in time for the arrivals to use the proper runway. When i run into this situation, after about 10min or so on the ground, i will notice the arrivals begin to use the correct runway. 

I know its not a fix. But hopefully that will explain the issue a bit. Assuming that is the issue.

-Tony@PVD

Tony Moore

15 minutes ago, breakinghbts said:

... Are the AI taking off after u arrive at the airport on the correct runway? If so, i believe its an issue with active sky/sim limitation. Aircraft that are landing are given their runway assignments when high up and far away from the airport. Vs departures are given a runway when they call for taxi. 

I understand your point, but no, AI T/O  still from the wrong runway.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

1 hour ago, breakinghbts said:

Just some thoughts based on the comments i see here. Are the AI taking off after u arrive at the airport on the correct runway? If so, i believe its an issue with active sky/sim limitation. Aircraft that are landing are givien their runway assignments when high up and far away from the airport. Vs departures are given a runway when they call for taxi. 

Not in my experience...it was when directly loading into an airport, any airport. Even if I let the weather injection complete and then restart AI, there were times when the AI taxied out to different runways.  One time I had the AI leaving and landing in 4 different directions on a 2 runway airport in an X configuration.

2 hours ago, Nemo said:

Could it be that upper wind conditions have an influence too? Just to stay at my YSSY situation with a surface wind from 155 (> 20 knots), I realized that wind at 3000 ft was from 220. I changed this  via ActiveSky to 180, et voila, AI traffic changed immediately from 25/34s to 7/16s usage.

Interesting hypothesis...this would be an issue for LM to look into if this is the case in relation to the AIPlayer.dll perhaps?  I'd have to do more testing before I would bring this up in the LM forums...

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

I remember going back to FS2004 days, that after you loaded the weather into the Sim, you would have to go back into the weather program and refresh the AI. Or you simply advanced the time within the Sim by 2 minutes and it would refresh the AI that way. 

Then the AI would start using the correct runway.

• Upvote 1