Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Multiplayer future? Look at iRacing NASCAR and IndyCar !

Watched the iRacing virtual Indycar auto race at Watkins Glen last night.  25 actual Indycar drivers racing each other in a real time virtual race using iRacing's driving simulator from their homes with virtual racing controls much like what we use in flight simulation.  25 on the track at the same time and the event was more than watchable.  NASCAR is doing the same with a virtual race last weekend at Homestead Florida and another today somewhere.  The broadcasts can be replayed on Youtube.  This technology holds great promise for flight simulation.

WOW!  Homestead:

Watkins Glen Indycar:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Rob. The Indycar broadcast was superior to the first NASCAR race (Homestead).  NASCAR had too many dead zones during the broadcast.  Made me think I had lost the feed.  The Indycar had no dead zones, and only two 30 second commercial breaks, both for the Red Cross blood drive due to this pandemic. 

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I did several races with Dale Jr., Jacques Villeneuve, AJ Allmendinger, and several others

How did you hold up against those guys? I used to race with GTR2. I think the races I participated in where hosted by a group called Eagle Racing or something like that. Did it on and off for a couple of years. Those guys where really good. I consistently only barely made the grade to stay in the competition. They had a minimum requirement. I cannot remember the criteria. I only ever won one race online with GTR2. It was at Monza. A gaming experience I will never forget. Took the lead on final straight of the last lap. The top contenders had all crashed and that put me in the running. That was even before iRacing was a thing. I have been eyeing my Logitech Momo sitting on the floor in the corner for a while. The great thing about sim racing is that it is so much less complex than flight sim.

Time to stop eyeing the Momo. 😁😆

Edited by Quasimodo

I used to race online in leagues with GT Legends and the Power & Glory 3 mod for GTR2. In fact, I organised some of them (selected the tracks, calculated the championship points etc). These were racing classic cars from the 1960s and 1970s, and they were great fun. I do remember one frustrating season in the Muscle Car Championship (GT Legends) when my internet connection became very inconsistent for several months. These races were around 60 minutes long, and there were several occasions in which I disconnected from the race (and sometimes when I was running top 4 on the leaderboard; we usually had around 25 drivers in each race) :sad: I don't know how many of you have raced cars online, but these leagues were run through the Gamers Crib and NoGrip Racing forums.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

SKY use F1 2019 SIM  for virtual F1 GP some pro drivers take part and some ex f1 drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwcRDOjgfkE

You've done some damage to me: after watching this video, I'm already shopping for an F1 sim at Steam, and a steering wheel/pedal set😉

Now that I think about this: what about any virtual Red Bull air races (despite not having any seasons anymore), or virtual aerobatic airshows?

Edited by Luis Hernandez
Grammar...

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

10 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

... or virtual aerobatic airshows?

These guys are VERY good!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRlzeN2lpBnSiuTfGjq2FPA

The Virtual Red Arrows

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I have been a sim racer since Grand Prix on the Amiga and a member of iRacing for years. Nothing else comes close to it. It really is superb. However, I used to think I was good. I would consistently win in any game or sim I would play until I joined iRacing where I quickly learned I was mediocre at best. It's where the big boys race and where you find out how good you actually are and that's not surprising when you keep bumping into the likes of Andy Priaulx, Nicki Thiim, Max Verstappen, Lando Norris, Rubens Barrichello and yes, every Finnish person does seem to be some kind of alien driving god.

It's the only racing game that makes me nervous before I race and because of the nature of it, it's not for everyone. The chances are that you will hardly ever win. Especially as your iRating increases and you are put into splits with the good guys but man, is it a buzz.

If you love racing have a wheel and pedals and never tried it, well, you really should. Don't be put off by the cost, if you are smart it really isn't that expensive.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

The problem I eventually had is that classic car racing is a rather niche subset of the overall online racing world, and so is road car racing. The latter was my preferred option in Assetto Corsa until I gave up in May 2018 due to a lack of support from the rest of the online community. A shame really, as some of those Assetto Corsa road cars were very enjoyable to drive. My Logitech G27 wheel, gear shifter and pedals are still in their original box after nearly two years :sad:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes but on steam at the moment it`s in the sale as well as dirt 2.0, lock in no problem I will be rallying later. 

If you watch the full race they have practising before qualifying you will have a laugh.

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

All this iRacing talk makes me feel quite nostalgic. I got into it fairly early on in its history. The sad thing is that as I got older I got slower, in the end I counted success as being on the same lap as as the winner! Time to look for something easier on the heart palpitations, hence, flight simming. (Thanks Moose for recommending FSX, it's cost me a freaking fortune! :dry: )

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I hate excessive oversteer. I much prefer a more stable rear end, so that I can push harder. Constantly fighting the car with hands everywhere on the steering wheel is not what I call fun. I don't mind it to a certain extent, but the oversteer in a handful of the cars in Assetto Corsa was borderline ridiculous at times (The standard BMW Z4 and Ford Mustang spring to mind). I was a Mustang driver in GT Legends and the Power & Glory mod for GTR2, and they were nowhere near as bad as that.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The Lotus Elise was a fun car to drive in Assetto Corsa (particularly after the tyre physics upgrade). There were three different models with variable setup options, and they had noticeably different handling characteristics at the rear.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png